Sign in to follow this  
taggingalong

statement after dyslexia diagnosis

hi everyone. does anyone know how long it takes to get the statement after the dx of dyslexia. he is still awaiting the dx of aspergers. do i have to wait until all the assesments are complete are what way does it work. the assesment just took place a week ago for dyslexia but i need the help very urgently. any advice would be great. thanks again for all your support.

Hi.Is the statement you ask about a statement of Special Educational Need ?

If it is then in our area the LEA would not provide a statement for Dyslexia as schools are expected to provide support from the delegated budget.

For Asperger syndrome whether a statement was provided would depend on the level of neeed identified at assesssment.

You can request an assessment yourself -there is info re how to go about it on the forum.There are specific time limits for conducting the assesssment however the LEA may not agree to assessment if they are not convinced there is suffcient evidence of need.A request to assess may also be declined if the LEA do not feel the school have provided adequate support at School Action and Action Plus.Karen.

hi karen thanks for that. i have been told that he will be getting a statement for special educational needs. he will be needing a classroom assistant. they told me in order to get that he will have to get a statement. i really dont understand all this but i know that he is def getting statemented for educational needs. at the minute he gets some 1 on 1 support but that hasnt been of much help up to now and thats why they think he needs to have a lot more help. they said he isnt a typical child for a special needs school. sometimes im not sure about that because he can find the work very hard and confusing although when he has it read out to him he does know the answers. his maths is very good. science is excellent but literacy is virtually nil.. his iq in some areas where quite high and other areas quite low. so they couldnt get a proper reading of it. if it wasnt for this forum i would be lost. as you say in your area things may be different. i live in the north of ireland so our system might be different. thanks for the info.

Ask what type of dyslexia your child has - most schools are limited to phonic difficulties - BEWARE!!!!!

If there is a physical problem such as

visual processing / visual problems

auditory processing

memory

allergy/ sensitivity

cross lateral difficulties

slow processing

Have any / all these been assessed?

If not - insist your child is assessed - if present they need addressing before one to one classroom assistant help.

thanks for that ian. i wasnt even aware there were different kinds. i will be checking it out. it just gets so frustrating sometimes when you are not aware of all the problems that your child is facing. my heart breaks for him. when he comes in from school with writing homework you can see the frustration on his face. maybe when they get the aspergers side of things sorted out i will get a clearer picture as well. thanks again.

Noticed you were in Ireland

I can recommend an optician that is really good with visual perceptual problems

His name is Mike Gilsenan and he works at Lee Opticians Warrenpoint (near Newry)

If my child had a diagnosis of dyslexia I would take them to him