forbsay

afterschool club

Hi

My asd son goes to afterschool club 2 days a week. His support worker is off ill so that means that he can't go.

Last year, there was an initiative to integrate special needs kids into the after school environment This was done for a year and then after this the after school club decided that they still wanted to have him. Training was given by the respective agency involved. However, I honestly don't know why they only trained one support worker.......... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I am going to complain to the afterschool club as this is not fair.

Forbsay

Edited by forbsay

I agree. I have had problems with afterschool clubs. Those taking them (for eg one was football) just had no idea at all how to deal with my ds and consequently he was punished for being badly disciplined. All the other kids got a medal for attending - except him who got sent home. They expected 100% good behaviour and when they spoke in what must have been riddles to him - of course he reacted. So much for "inclusion". I simply can't consider leaving my ds at the afterschool club anytime. I suppose at least yours have made an effort - but perhaps its as good as nothing really as it must be so disruptive to your son to be unable to go simply because the support worker is not there and thereby destroy the routine. Must be difficult to explain that to him.

You are lucky they are allowing your child to go to the after school club at all. I attended a parents forum at my sons new school and they went on an on about all the children in the base unit being included. But in the next breath when i asked about the after school club it was oh no sorry dont have the resources and staff for the children from the base to attend after school club. So where is the inclusion there i just sat there shaking my head thinking its all words and nothing more.