curra

Fear of yobs

My son is terrified of people he sees as yobs (who look perfectly normal to me) and because of it he lives indoors without any social contact. Yesterday evening we went to the chip shop by car, he was extremely nervous and afraid even of younger children passing by. CAHMS have been useless at dealing with his fears. Has anyone have a similar problem? Would a private psychologist be of any help?

Curra

Sorry Curra no real answers, but both my two went through that. Still do feel anxious passing these types in the street.

I found myself avoiding trouble spots completely. We get certain area's where you know trouble-makers lurk. Best avoid them or advise him not to make eye contact. Just walk past as if they are not even there.

Hope this helps.

Fxx >:D<<'>

check whether he has prosopagnosia

this is often a sign

Hi Fran, thanks for your advice. Not making eye contact is a good idea. I always avoid high streets and crowded places with him but he's afraid even when there's no one in sight. :(

Curra

check whether he has prosopagnosia

this is often a sign

Hi Ian, thanks. He certainly can't tell if a person looks threatening and suspicious, or not. Where can he be tested for prosopagnosia?

Curra

If you are in the south west - come to the presentation I am giving in Newport in November (university of Wales)- details elsewhere on this forum. I could see your son during my lunch or in the evening

Its not a childrens presentation, but if he is very high functioning he could enjoy the presentation. I guarantee that you will come away shocked. It is worth a BIG effort.

If not then Jo O Neill at Norville opticians gloucester may help.

best wishes

ian

hi curra my 8 year old is exactly the same. he has even begged me to move house as sometimes there is a bad lot hanging around our area. he said this place is full of evil people and he is frightened they will kill someone. he even goes round the house at night checking doors and windows are locked and putting things up against the back door. if they are fighting with each other he thinks they might attack him. i know what you must be going through.

Curra,

My son is anxious if I nip in the shop or go into to pay for petrol, he'll lock the car and hide till I come back. Its awful to think they are frightened of people that to us might not ven pose a threat.

I hope you find the answers.

Clare x x x

hi curra my 8 year old is exactly the same. he has even begged me to move house as sometimes there is a bad lot hanging around our area. he said this place is full of evil people and he is frightened they will kill someone. he even goes round the house at night checking doors and windows are locked and putting things up against the back door. if they are fighting with each other he thinks they might attack him. i know what you must be going through.

Hi Taggingalong, He sounds just like my lad. M hates the neighbourhood and wants to move to a "safer" area. He started to have this fears at about that age too. I hope they get better in time...

Curra

Curra,

My son is anxious if I nip in the shop or go into to pay for petrol, he'll lock the car and hide till I come back. Its awful to think they are frightened of people that to us might not ven pose a threat.

I hope you find the answers.

Clare x x x

Hi Clare, you could be describing my son when I go to pay for petrol! He also doesn't answer the phone or opens the door when he's alone at home!

I hope in time our lads learn to be more confident !

Curra

Me too..

He's ok to leave home alone for a little while, but in recent times I've come back and he's been sitting with his laptop armed with, once a golf club and another time a can of deodorant !!!!

He'll only answer the phone to me or his dad and thats only when you call out on the answerphone to him to pick up. He would not answer the phone if we were home or open the door. Got a real thing about vans pulling up in the close and prefers to have the curtains closed whilst downstairs in case someone might look in. I can not begin to imagin how horrible it must feel to be so anxious all the time and it breaks my heart.

Clare x x x

If you are in the south west - come to the presentation I am giving in Newport in November (university of Wales)- details elsewhere on this forum. I could see your son during my lunch or in the evening

Its not a childrens presentation, but if he is very high functioning he could enjoy the presentation. I guarantee that you will come away shocked. It is worth a BIG effort.

If not then Jo O Neill at Norville opticians gloucester may help.

best wishes

ian

Thanks Ian! I have sent you a PM.

Curra

please parents - don't hope your child will get better - get it assessed and treated!!!!!!

Ian, Ive sent you a 2nd PM.

Hopes and good wishes just help us parents to cope with the lack of support for our children. What treatment is there, can you please post a link?

Curra :)

this is where i fear my lad will be in few years if not months time and is one of the reasons im preparing to fight to get him in to a sn school. socially and emotionally he is very immature and when our local secondary school come out ( their exit is on our schools land) he stiffens and shakes he puts a brave face on it but you can see and feel him stiffen. Not saying sn school will stop this altogether but will reassure him hopefully that just cause they are older they are going to hurt him and prepare him for this i personally feel that the leas idea of dumping him into a 1000+ school is going to "cure" him is utter tosh.

Edited by rach04

... i personally feel that the leas idea of dumping him into a 1000+ school is going to "cure" him is utter tosh.

I agree and hope that you find a sn school for your son!

Curra xx