Sign in to follow this  
soraya

Fight or flight?

My son Nick has extreame anxiety, and whenever things get tough or he is upset about a situation he runs off. He has done this since he was about 8, and then l used to go chasing after him, but l cant now e is 14. He is away for a few days fishing, but last night l got a phone call saying he had run off. It was awfull as he was in the middle of the country in Gloustershire and we are in Sussex 3 hours drive away. I managed to get him on his mobile and he said he felt anxious and had to get home, I got him to go back to the lake in the end, but he was missing for 2 hours and the people who had taken him were really worried. What l cant understand is that he was feeling "funny" and anxious so he ran off, but walking around the country roads on his own in the pitch dark didnt bother him at all!!! I really wish l hadnt let him go away, but he was so determined to go as it is the best fishing lake in england and he sail he would be ok. I have phoned him this morning and he is fine, l said we can pick him up today but he wants to stay untill tuesday as planned. He says nothing happened to make him run off he just got his "funny feelings" where he feels he has to run off. Sorry to ramble on, but l am feeling so upset this morning l just wanted to know if anyone elses kids do this :tearful::tearful::tearful:

We spend ages telling our children to "walk away" instead of hit out, so in some ways you should be pleased - lol!

Anxiety/stress/anger do cause physiological changes in a person, so if you could get your son to identify the early signs, it would give you both a chance to work on resolving any issues in a better way.

One option to begin with might be to identify a safe place, wherever you are, that he can run to if he feels like that - then at least you know where he is.

My son went through a phase of running away, and it was very worrying. At his residential school, he was encouraged to run to a place of his choosing in the grounds (he chose a den in the bushes). The staff would leave him for a while and then go and talk to him when he had calmed down. At home, he tends to go out to his shed or to his room.

I am trying this with a boy I am working with at the moment. I would rather him run and hide in a safe place, than run out of the grounds. I have told him that as long as he goes to this place, I will leave him alone until he has calmed down.