josie h

National Autistic Society think differently campaign.

Some of you may already be aware of his campaign, but i thought i wold put this information on for anyone who is not aware of it.

Yesterday the National Autistic Society launched their think differently campaign to try to make more people aware of what Autism and Aspergers syndrome really is. they have dedicated a web address to the campaign where you can get information. one of the ways they are speading the word is by asking people to sign a petition. if you would like to know more, or sign the petition, if you click on the link below it will take you directly to the site. I hope some of you will find the useful and il also be able to pass the information on to your friends or family. the more people that are aware of the campaign, the more it will be able to change people's views.

National Autistic Society Petition

I hope the link works, i haven't done this before!

It works :)

I heard about this campaign earlier in the week on the news but I hadn't had chance (or energy) yet to look more into it. Thank you for the link!

Death by patronisation, anyone?

I think that's a bit unfair. My previous experience with the NAS would come under 'patronisation', but I actually think there is something qualitatively different about this new campaign. I think this came across in the BBC item Tally referred to - I kinda watched it (I was taken as a hostage at the time :whistle:) - sure there were things I wanted to shout at the telly about but actually it was fairly balanced.

What I do like about this new campaign and the info on the site specific to this is that they seem to finally be understanding that all ASD individuals are just that - individuals - and that although we share particular characteristics we come across very differently and are affected differently. Yes there are still issues with some of the info given but it's a darn sight better than previous positions and I think this should be acknowledged.

Sitting my GP's surgery today, i noticed there is no information about Autism what so ever,there is for alcohol and drug and depression problems and abused wives,but nothing about autism/apsergers and what to do if you have a diagnosis or if you are worried about your toddlers developement,so i am wondering if this new campaign will have any positive inpact. I hope it does.

I think that's a bit unfair. My previous experience with the NAS would come under 'patronisation', but I actually think there is something qualitatively different about this new campaign. I think this came across in the BBC item Tally referred to - I kinda watched it (I was taken as a hostage at the time :whistle:) - sure there were things I wanted to shout at the telly about but actually it was fairly balanced.

What I do like about this new campaign and the info on the site specific to this is that they seem to finally be understanding that all ASD individuals are just that - individuals - and that although we share particular characteristics we come across very differently and are affected differently. Yes there are still issues with some of the info given but it's a darn sight better than previous positions and I think this should be acknowledged.

Whats incredibly patronising is we are having a group of NT's running a campaign on our behalf, as opposed to ourselves doing it. When they replace their organistation hierachy with capable people on the spectrum, then it wont be patronising.

Whats incredibly patronising is we are having a group of NT's running a campaign on our behalf, as opposed to ourselves doing it. When they replace their organistation hierachy with capable people on the spectrum, then it wont be patronising.

I completely understand where you are coming from - this is the problem I had with my mentor in that she thought she knew what I needed as a poor damaged AS individual :angry:. However I know some of the people involved in this campaign and they are AS - and I do believe from what I have read so far that their views and perspectives are being taken into account.

Do they exclude NDs from their hierarchy intentionally?

I agree that some organisations can be patronising; access for women into male-dominated areas and subjects, anti-racism, anti-sexism, refugee support, anything aimed at enabling a previously ignored, overlooked or unempowered section of society. Change needs to be facilitated and supported, but sometimes you can wait forever for the perfect solution, if it ever arrives.

Education is the best way to undermine any organisation or individual that is being patronising. Often it is well-intentioned but inappropriate.

Would you rather the campaign didn't exist, or that it was delayed until some unspecified time in the future when your criteria may or may not be met?

I think the important thing is that someone is doing it. This campaign is trying to educate people about autism. It doesn't matter to me whether it is autistic or NT people doing that, I just think it's good that somebody is doing it.

The NAS are increasingly involving autistic people in their organisation and have just appointed their second autistic board member.

Education is the best way to undermine any organisation or individual that is being patronising.

That or chopping them up into little bits!! :lol::devil:

In all seriousness, having read your post several times to work out what you're getting at (I put it down to the stress of being taken as a hostage), you're right - somewhere is, in this case, better than nowhere. This is an improvement and that needs to be recognised.

I think the important thing is that someone is doing it. This campaign is trying to educate people about autism. It doesn't matter to me whether it is autistic or NT people doing that, I just think it's good that somebody is doing it.

The NAS are increasingly involving autistic people in their organisation and have just appointed their second autistic board member.

I suspect a campaign to educate people on Autism might just blow up in our faces (not that I have seen it yet). I think it is still ridiculous that it isnt people on the spectrum doing it, it really implies that we are all totally incapable of it.

As for the board members, when there is a majority, I will cease to view it as the token gesture that it currently is. As far as I know they could have picked some noddy-nod heads that just agree with whatevers passed, in fact it wouldnt surprise me.

Do they exclude NDs from their hierarchy intentionally?

I agree that some organisations can be patronising; access for women into male-dominated areas and subjects, anti-racism, anti-sexism, refugee support, anything aimed at enabling a previously ignored, overlooked or unempowered section of society. Change needs to be facilitated and supported, but sometimes you can wait forever for the perfect solution, if it ever arrives.

Education is the best way to undermine any organisation or individual that is being patronising. Often it is well-intentioned but inappropriate.

Would you rather the campaign didn't exist, or that it was delayed until some unspecified time in the future when your criteria may or may not be met?

I am waiting to see what the results are of the campaign, before I decide whether it should have happened or not.

The NAS makes a significant contribution in advocating for the needs of autistic people in this country. They are very keen to listen to people with autism and their carers.They also work hard to raise awareness of Autism at National and on a local level.All of these contributions are very positive indeed.Karen.

(not that I have seen it yet)

Can I suggest you have a look though some of it? I have been pleasently surprised; it does seem different from much of their other stuff.

I think it is still ridiculous that it isnt people on the spectrum doing it, it really implies that we are all totally incapable of it.

I know some of the people involved in this campaign and they are AS - and I do believe from what I have read so far that their views and perspectives are being taken into account.

In all seriousness, having read your post several times to work out what you're getting at (I put it down to the stress of being taken as a hostage), you're right - somewhere is, in this case, better than nowhere. This is an improvement and that needs to be recognised.

I suppose that it's because I am so ancient and venerable. I remember when blatant, aggressive sexism and racism were not just socially acceptable but supported by the law. And I can also see over 35 years how much has changed in those fields for the better. It doesn't mean that we should stop doing things, asking questions and raising awareness just because the situation has improved, but those now heading organisations and running campaigns and being 'the voice' are now women and minorities.

I think working together to raise awareness is vital, so that things can change in society as a whole.

The NAS like all major lobby groups is flawed... whatever the make-up of it's board NT/AS/ASD it will still be flawed, because it has to abide by the 'rules' that all successful lobby groups abide by. if it doesn't, it will lose its reputation, its patronage and the degree of power it does have. That's politics (and business).

What groups like the NAS do achieve is massive in comparison to what smaller organisations can achieve, because the smaller organisations trade on what the the NAS have built the 'soft' way.

In many ways the NAS is a dog with no teeth, but the smaller dogs that have got teeth suckled at her patronising ol' teets! ;)

L&P

BD :D

The NAS like all major lobby groups is flawed... whatever the make-up of it's board NT/AS/ASD it will still be flawed, because it has to abide by the 'rules' that all successful lobby groups abide by. if it doesn't, it will lose its reputation, its patronage and the degree of power it does have. That's politics (and business).

What groups like the NAS do achieve is massive in comparison to what smaller organisations can achieve, because the smaller organisations trade on what the the NAS have built the 'soft' way.

In many ways the NAS is a dog with no teeth, but the smaller dogs that have got teeth suckled at her patronising ol' teets! ;)

L&P

BD :D

What they can do is give money to fringe groups under the table. And have some fun with Autism Speaks and its ilk, given the amount by which the NAS's budget dwarf's theirs (7:1). They failed miserably in stopping the US government spending that $1bn on autism research, research which is only likely to harm people on the spectrum, and possibly lead to pre-natal tests.

This is getting a bit off topic. Can we stick to discussing the National Autistic Society's new Think Differently campaign please?

This is getting a bit off topic. Can we stick to discussing the National Autistic Society's new Think Differently campaign please?

Sorry :tearful:

Totally agree Baddad the NAS can never stand up and be counted in a way which I for one would like. For example the APPGA brought out a report in July stating that there is a HUGE concerns about policy being put into practice in LAs NAS assisted the writing of this report but I see no active campaigning about it - why?

In many ways the NAS is a dog with no teeth, but the smaller dogs that have got teeth suckled at her patronising ol' teets!

Agree again - is this a record :rolleyes: My hubby attended meetings with Minsiters and NAS and was amazed at how quiet NAS is at these meetings while he was very vocal. When I myself met with a senior Minister the first thing he said to me was that we are very lucky to have the NAS - hm well they might be very lucky to have the NAS because they know where the line is and will not cross it, unlike my orginisation who will and do cross that line but get nowehere near as much recognition as the NAS. I am NOT complaining I actively work with the NAS now on occasion because sometimes you have to be in it to win it or at least keep up with things. But others are campaigning sadly it is usually only the NAS who gets the mention :tearful:

I would also just like to add in response to another poster that one of the NAS Board Members who I have known virtually and in person for some years now will never be a token AS person. This guy has got teeth and he aint afraid to use em :thumbs:

Cat

I was taking the essence of the campaign to heart and being a bit tangental with my thinking. Sorry...

I think that we must keep autism on the agenda where the government are concerned and the NAS are focussing on that by harnessing People Power in the form of this petition. Hopefully we will get enough signatures on it to make a difference and make the government listen to what we need. The facts are that there is never enough to go round , not enough support for families, not enough support to help adults with ASDs to live independently or to have the appropriate care they need, not enough of anything. I know there are flaws in the NAS agenda and management, but at least they are trying.

My local authority does NOT recognise people with Aspergers Syndrome as needing extra support, they refuse to cater for a whole group of people! I know of parents who have begged the paediatrician to make their childs diagnosis High Functioning Autism instead, simply so that they can get some help. This is very, very wrong and causes a multitude of problems for those directly affected by Aspergers.

Thanks Josie for making more of us aware on the campaign.

I received the email about it from the NAS this morning and proudly passed it on to my whole contact list. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with it at Uni in due course.

It is a good campaign indeed I wish all associated every success with it.

I had a thingywotsit through the post this morning about the campaign.

It asks you to:

- Visit the website: http://www.think-differently.org.uk

- Spread the word (forward the "viral film" to everyone you know . . . what is a "viral film?" It sounds nasty!)

- Fundraise - �Grand Intentions fundraising initiative.

I had a thingywotsit through the post this morning about the campaign.

It asks you to:

- Visit the website: http://www.think-differently.org.uk

- Spread the word (forward the "viral film" to everyone you know . . . what is a "viral film?" It sounds nasty!)

- Fundraise - �Grand Intentions fundraising initiative.

Marketing it as a viral film, whatever that means, doesnt do it many favours!

Spread the word (forward the "viral film" to everyone you know . . . what is a "viral film?" It sounds nasty!).

I wondered what it was too - maybe they mean viral in that they want it to spread like a virus? In which case some other way needs to be found to deseminate it, because it isn't even easy to find on their webpage. Here is a direct link to the viral film.

I think it's a really good film. I understand that everyone's experiences of autism are different, but that film so closely expresses in ways I can't do in words, what communting on the bus is like for me and why I do find it a frightening experience.

It's a shame this film isn't shown on the ad breaks between major soaps/programes on the telly. I think if the general public saw it it could well make them stop and think, at least just a little. The film totally destroys the false belief many hold of an 'autistic look' and shows just how hidden, but how no less disabeling, the issues are.

I also received the leaflet through the post this morning. I was also confused as to what a "viral" film was! I just looked at the commuting one, and I also think it would be good as an advert during prime time TV. Are there any others? I couldn't see them - but will look again. I think one showing a child experiencing a mainstream classroom or school hall would be good - and would be good material for schools to use to educate children.

I think the intention is that this is the first film in a series. I hope they do do more and that others are as good and help to demolish stereotypes.

They really really need to show these films on primetime telly - I could see these making such a difference. Do you think there's anything we can do to make this happen? :unsure:

Anything is possible! I guess the NAS have already considered this and may already be in the process of negotiations with TV stations. If people contact the NAS and also TV stations, then we could get some feedback as to whether it could be done.

I thought the film was good too. I've emailed the link to JP's old support staff at college, and am toying with the idea of sending it to his supervisor at work too, whaddya think?

Anything is possible! I guess the NAS have already considered this and may already be in the process of negotiations with TV stations. If people contact the NAS and also TV stations, then we could get some feedback as to whether it could be done.

Well I was thinking of contacting the NAS - I suppose we could just all email the film (if you click on request film on that link you get an emailable version sent to your inbox) to TV companies and see what comes of it - it can't do any harm. :thumbs:

I thought the film was good too. I've emailed the link to JP's old support staff at college, and am toying with the idea of sending it to his supervisor at work too, whaddya think?

Tricky one. I've been toying with seding this to my supervisor and tutor because it is so good - at least for me and my perspectives it explains clearly the issues I face and I think might help them to understand one of the reasons I freak so much when asked to travel to conferences around the country - I have to deal with the issues addressed in the film on top of negatiating a new place and all the worries associated with the conference. I don't know what to suggest - does JP drive himself in? Is public transport a major issue for him? I wonder what the other films will be about - if there's a workplace one that would be really useful to send.

He does a mix of walking, being picked up by me & bussing it. He's getting much better at buses now he's doing it regularly. Its more the overload thing which I think can be transferred to different situations - his distractibility, might help them understand.

I've just realised :rolleyes: that if you click on the sentences on the purple home page, you get little interviews with autistic peeps/their parents. Mostly :thumbs:

I've just realised :rolleyes: that if you click on the sentences on the purple home page, you get little interviews with autistic peeps/their parents. Mostly :thumbs:

:rolleyes: I agree they're 'mostly' great - I think there's a problem with the sentences they've used as titles - kinda stereotypical in part which is a shame - i.e. the 'emotionally flat' one - there's a lot more to the vid than that (I've met that couple and they're lovely btw :thumbs:)

I've sent off an email to the NAS via the contact link on the web site. I've asked them if they are already looking into TV coverage via advert slots between prime-time TV. Hopefully they will reply back.

I guess it can not hurt contacting the TV stations directly, but there may be copyright/legal issues.

I've sent off an email to the NAS via the contact link on the web site. I've asked them if they are already looking into TV coverage via advert slots between prime-time TV. Hopefully they will reply back.

Great :thumbs: Let us know what they say. :)

Well, I just got back from our weekly support group where we were visited by our regional NAS officer. She raised the Thinking Differently About Autism campaign, so I asked her whether the viral videos were going to be put on TV. She said that although the campaign was being covered by media - i.e. GMTV type coverage, they were not able to advertise as the cost would be in the thousands, possible 10's of thousands! It seems that Charities are also charged, though I'm not sure if they get a lower rate.

However, maybe if enough people contacted the TV stations, then maybe they would lower the costs?

Edited by MichelleW

Marketing it as a viral film, whatever that means, doesnt do it many favours!

Its a form of marketing. The idea is that you pass on the video over the internet to everyone you know, so nearly everyone sees it. If a viral marketing campaign takes off, its a lot more effective than a few slots on tele.