Sign in to follow this  
iwillholdon

autism outreach worker

Has anyone come across one of these and what is your experience?

Since being diagnosed AS in July my son 10 was referered to an Autism Outreach team run by the local Education dept. This term he has been observed 6 times in school by a lady. The school havent had any feedback as such, just copies of her observation notes which I havent seen. Then tomorrow 2 of the team are coming to see me at home in the day time. I must say I feel abit nervous about this wondering what to expect -- will they be critical or helpful. I presume since they work for education their main focus is on his learning at school, so I need to tell them about the stress he feels in going to school, dofficulties getting there, and also the homework problems.

The school thinks he is worse on the days he is being observed and that he acts up beacuse of her. I'm not sure, although he did have some stressful days on the days she happened to be there. One issue for him is that he has sensibly sussed out that she is there to watch him.... not hard as he says she follows him everywhere he goes with a clipboard in her hand. He feel the teachers are"lying" when they have told him she is watching the whole class -- true really!

On one occasion when she was there he had a major meltdown and was threatening to jump out of the 1st floor window, so I'm sure there are lots of notes about that.

I suppose I'll just have to see this visit as a positive answer to my request for more help in dealing with his difficulties but I cant help feeling a bit threatened.

Autism Outreach Teams are like autism specific service everywhere they differ greatly from area to area. My own team is the best resource that we have where I live. The lady who heads the team has degree in autism and really does know her stuff so anything that she says I value.

I find it very strange that the team have not shared with the school after their visits. That would not happen here. I would hope that even if your son did act up during their visit they would realise that any kind of change would have a similar reaction. However the school may be using this so that they do not have to act on anything the team say - using the 'well he is not like this when you are not here' card. Our team are there to make life in school better for the child. They give the school advice on how best to deal with the child. They help the school develop strategies to support the child while they are learning. Yes the focus of the team is education but their job is supposed to be to piece all of the bits of the jigsaw together to enable them to help the child. So they should be interested about the levels of anxiety that the child has before going to school because this will impact on the child?s learning. They should be able to explain why this is to the school. They should also be able to offer advice about home work. Our team usual tries to meet the school and the child halfway on this issue. But I have known them to say that the school should stop giving homework for a while.

So in short the team should be there to help your son and if I were you this is what I would be hoping for. If they know there stuff then they should have seen how your son displays in school and also how the school handle him. If they think that the school are not handling him in the right manner it is their job to help them to out this right. The team will never be critical of the school out right but our team would say there are things that the school could be doing better. I would see their intervention as a positive and hopefully they are there for the child and not as a get out of jail free card for the school. Like Parent Partnership sometimes the Outreach Team are not as independent as they should be.

Anything else you want to ask before their visit just yell

Cat

Thanks Cat, that reassures me a bit.

So the main things to discuss seem to be homework, anxiety related to going to school, and how the school are managing him.

I also wonder about statements. The school say he's not "bad enough" to need one; however, if he continues to be so anxious, threateneing to kill himself, would it be appropriate in any way. would this autism outreach person advise me on that?

Hopefully after all this the school and myself will get some kind of advice, action plan. The SENCO does say that they want more help in how to manage him and cant decide whether his behaviour is attention seeking or part of the AS.

I work for our counties AOT but I'm based in a unit within a mainstream high school. As Cat says, they are there to help your son, they will want as much info as you can give them, they will be aware that you may very well see a different side to your child than the school see and that often you can work out what is stressing him and making him anxious. In my experience parents often have a much better insight into whats making him anxious at school than the school themselves so you're input is vital.

Ask about statementing, they should have views as to if its necessary. They will be aware that their observations may not be entirely accurate as children generally act differently with a stranger present in the room but they should be able to pick up on his asd behaviour.

But as Cat also said AOT teams vary as do the workers within them, I'll cross my fingers you have a good one :D

Don't stress about the meeting, they are on your side :D

Summer x

Guest Lya of the Nox

how can you find out if there are outreach team near you?

and how are they with kids that live life with 2 or 3 facets??

Hi.In our area Autism Outreach come under the LEA so your local LEA would be the best people to contact to find out if there is support available localyKaren.

we have had good a good experience with our outreach worker.

i was gutted when the last one left because she was soooooooo on our wave length regarding school

hi

just from our own experience the school might not be giving a fair assesment of what is being done you may find that the school may not be helping them or communicating to help them . we have found that our school were being very negative to start with but after sevral big meetings things seem to be becoming more smooth and they have now started paying attention to what they r being told and how they can change things so things work better after a long struggle they r now starting to see results and the stratagies put in place do work , and if we have a concern we do not contact the school we either ring or email the inclusive resource lady direct fortunately i know her .and once they r involved they stay that way even if there is a change of school along the way . so i would wait until you speak to them before stessing out to much they will support u fully hopefully

bye paul

Thanks for all your encouragemant.

Just to say the meeting today with the outreach workers went well and I think they will be a good resource for help. They are continuing to observe my son inschool for the moment and then will arrange a feedback when they decide what is the best help for him