Sign in to follow this  
Clare63

CHOOS ? ? ?

My son's school have contacted me and said that given that he is signed off as unfit for school for the forseeable future, they would like to refer him to another support agency called CHOOS.

Can anyone please tell me who CHOOS are and what they do, from what I understand from the SENCO it's schooling for children off long term sick from school and that schooling is provided in a hospital environment ?

All expereinces, ideas and opinions welcomed.

Thank you in anticipation.

Clare x x x

Hi Clare I do not know exactly.The LEA have to provide educational input for children and teenagers who are out of scghool for medical reasons-including mental health difficulties [Eg Anxiety,depression] for more than 15 days.It sounds as though CHOOS may be the local name for this service.

Some areas provide a'' hospital school'' whilst others provide so many hours tutouring at home.Karen.

Hi clare,

Not sure if I am right about this but a colleague i work with also works part time at a hospital near you that provides this service. It is not generally known about because otherwise they would be inundated with pupils and they keep it small so they can give individual tuition and support - it is apparently a fantastic service. pm me if you want more info - I would have to ask her but that isn't a problem.

Stella x