Sign in to follow this  
paulathomson

help waht do i do?

hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advcie on ehat to do next...im in a right state..

6/7 weeks ago i went to see my gp for my severe anxiety as it is making me agrophobic...so i got time off work..and she said she would refer me for cbt.a week later i had a follow up appointment and she told me that she has referred me to cpn for cbt

2 weeks later i went back and saw the locum and got another month off work and he confirmed that my referral had been made.

i still havent had an appointment so on fri i phoned the mental health team to see how long i would be waiting.. they said they have no record of me..and to phone the gp and get them to re-send the referral.

so i did..they said they would get back to me and didnt. so this morning i phone gp at 9 and they sadi the same that they will get back to me...but havent.

i called mental health again because i want to see if they can help me anyway...the duty cpn has just phoned me and said that thye cant help me without the paperwork and i have to go back to thte gp...

well i cant stop crying..firstly because i hate going out the house and also because i am losing control and am not functioning..only going out to take kids to school and thats an ordeal..i am scared that i will lose the plot completely and end up on a psych ward and no-one to look after my kids...

i dont want to get that bad...what do i do...anyone?

hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advcie on ehat to do next...im in a right state..

6/7 weeks ago i went to see my gp for my severe anxiety as it is making me agrophobic...so i got time off work..and she said she would refer me for cbt.a week later i had a follow up appointment and she told me that she has referred me to cpn for cbt

2 weeks later i went back and saw the locum and got another month off work and he confirmed that my referral had been made.

i still havent had an appointment so on fri i phoned the mental health team to see how long i would be waiting.. they said they have no record of me..and to phone the gp and get them to re-send the referral.

so i did..they said they would get back to me and didnt. so this morning i phone gp at 9 and they sadi the same that they will get back to me...but havent.

i called mental health again because i want to see if they can help me anyway...the duty cpn has just phoned me and said that thye cant help me without the paperwork and i have to go back to thte gp...

well i cant stop crying..firstly because i hate going out the house and also because i am losing control and am not functioning..only going out to take kids to school and thats an ordeal..i am scared that i will lose the plot completely and end up on a psych ward and no-one to look after my kids...

i dont want to get that bad...what do i do...anyone?

You do sound so distressed - what other support do you have? Do you have any family or friends to call on? Did your Gp put you on any medication whiole you wait for the cbt. I dont know whether you have already dicounted this but it may be that you need something to see you through and help you gain enough equilibrium to get the best from the cbt when it comes through. Maybe you r Gp isnt aware of how " on the edge" you feel.

Do hope you find some help today

Hi Paula.It is unfair that you are being passed around like this. :wallbash:

Phone the surgery back and ask for an urgent appointment-if they cannot do it today find out how to get one.

In our surgery you phone in the morning and speak to the triage nuse.Don't talk to the receptionist just emphasise that you need an urgent appointment.

If you do not get any joy with the surgery then you can phone PALS and ask explain to them what has happened.If the referal has got lost in the system then it needs to be sorted out.PALS number should be on the internet on the site of your local Primary Care Trust.

You are not going mad.Anxiety is horrible and it feels dreadful but CBT does help.Karen.

Hi Paula >:D<<'> really sorry you're feeling so low, and the GP's surgery is not doing their job properly. :wallbash:

Couple of suggestions:

1. Does your GP do phone appointments if you can't get back to the surgery - at least then you can explain how u r currently feeling over the phone and ask they urgently speed up the referral.

2. Here's a link to 'MIND' factfiles http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Factsheets/ if you use this link you should find a factsheet on Anxiety which may have some useful info in - they also run a confedential phoneline 9.15 - 5.15 mon - fri

Hope you get some help and support soon

Take it easy on yourself >:D<<'>

Hi again.When you speak to the Doctor emphasise that you have a child who needs extra support-they should make you a priority if you recieve support from Camhs and are a carer.Karen.

hi thank you all for your replies..

my gp did give me medication but i am unable to take medication when i am ''unwell''...all part of the anxiety and phobias etc etc..so i cant take the things that will make me better..which was why i was supposed to be referred for cbt.

the woman at mental health was less than helpful and as she was quite stern with me im not sure i want to see them now. there is no point pouring your heart out to someone who has a swinging brick...

anyway...the crying is over and anger has taken over..i have made an appointmnet to see gp tomorrow morning at 9.30...if they wont help me then i'll ask to be signed on to go back to work even though im in no fit state because sitting at home waiting for help is making me worse when the help isnt being delivered..ive waited nearly two months already..

i have no real support..my husband doesnt really understand and says things like '' dont be silly'' and my mum lives 2 hrs away.

i am getting irrational though and yesterday just wanted to take off somewhere and leave...with the kids of course...i dont really know who i can get support from..people dont understand when you say that you cant take the medication...

i have been like this about 8 years ago and again the right help wasnt delivered...i ended up completely housebound and ss got involved as i was struggling to look after my children..obviously i do not want this to happen again and this is why i have asked for help now before i get that bad...

lets see what tomorrow brings..but i shouldnt really have to go back to the doctors..ive been back twice since she made the referral..

Hi.I know you should not have to go back to your Dr but it may be the best option.

Do tell the Dr very clearly what you have written about your previous anxiety 8 years ago.

They should regard you as a priority.

If the GP has said that the referral will be done on two occasions and has not done anything you could make a complaint in writing.If you do not get a satisfactory response find out from the Practice Manager or PALS what the procedure is.You should not have to complain but sometimes it is the only way to get people to listen. :wallbash::wallbash: Karen.

Hi.I know you should not have to go back to your Dr but it may be the best option.

Do tell the Dr very clearly what you have written about your previous anxiety 8 years ago.

They should regard you as a priority.

If the GP has said that the referral will be done on two occasions and has not done anything you could make a complaint in writing.If you do not get a satisfactory response find out from the Practice Manager or PALS what the procedure is.You should not have to complain but sometimes it is the only way to get people to listen. :wallbash::wallbash: Karen.

i dont really want to rub this doctor up the wrong way as she is the only one at the med centre who is any good. it was her who listened to me when i took my ds...and consequently he has been dx'd.. without her help i would still be going round in circles.

i think i shocked her when i went the first time because she asked me ''how long has this been going on..the anxiety'' and my answer was '' since i was 19.'' :hypno: i dont think she was expecting that. but from there i told her all about my history of anxiety..

im feeling a bit better now thanks to everyone on here...hopefully i can keep it together during the night because i wll be awkae for most of it..going out to the dcotors is an ordeal in itself.. :rolleyes:

the woman at mental health was less than helpful and as she was quite stern with me im not sure i want to see them now. there is no point pouring your heart out to someone who has a swinging brick...

Please don't let this woman put you off. She doesn't know anything about you or your situation. If you did end up seeing her and you just couldn't get on with her, you can ask to see someone else.

I don't know why they do these kinds of things. You should not have to fight when you are ill, but that seems to be the way it is.

Have you contacted reThink? They are advocates for mental health. They can advise, and may even be able to attend an appointment in order to help you get your needs across.

Good luck tomorrow! It sounds like you have a good GP, but obviously something has gone wrong somewhere.

Paula,

I am so sorry to hear how you are feeling and what you are expereincing. Hope the GP appointment goes well in the morning. Anxiety is so overwhelming and its sounds as if your body and mind are shutting down in an attempt to cope with these feelings, hence the wanting to shut your self away, untreated anxiety can result in depression which sounds like you are also expereincing, tell your Doctor everything and express the urgency with the right help you will get better.

Take care Hun, thinking of you.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Edited by Clare63