Sign in to follow this  
tmf

alpha smart....what is it??

Hi,

I have been reading in some posts about a system used in some schools called alpha smart.

What is this, do you have to have certain requirements to qualify having one?

Please could somebody advise on how/where i look into these. I have never heard of it before, but the little bits i have put together seems as though it could benefit ds.

Thank you.....

Heya!

Havnet spoke to you before so hi!

I used an AlphaSmart Neo at school and ended up doing my gcses on it as well. Although, school didnt agree with it and then when we got it (we had to pay) they were more then happy for me to use it! We bought mine from there main site use a search engine to find it I used one begging with G when you type AlphaSmart Neo in my one was the one that came up first!!

Not sure what info you want exactly but let me know PM or message here and I will let you know!!

Hi

I have not been on for sometime.....had a very busy year!

Thanks for replying, basically i would like to know what it is....i gather it is to help with handwriting but how?

My 4 yr old nt dd writing is better that 8yr old ds and both are becoming very aware that this is the case, which is not good!

basically anything you can tel me would be a help....

thank you

xx

Hi tmf,

my dd used one in her last school and has been offered one in her new school to aid her when she is tired or too sore to write.

It is like a mini computer i think, dont know how to explain it.

I will ask my daughter how to explain it.

The school has offered it so i dont know how you ask for it, sorry.

Nicola

Basically, Its a wordprocesser like word but very basic you cant change the font well you can change the size small,med,large! Ummm....it doesnt help handwriting at all and you just type away in class. At the end of the lesson/day/week whatever you attached a A to B USB lead into the back of the AlphaSmart and then attach the other end into a computers USB drive and transfer to word by pressing send on the alphasmart. It is then on the mointer of the computer this allows you to edit the fonts into a style you want.And when your done press print on the computer.

To send it direct to printer, put the USB into the AlphaSmart and the other end into the printers USB socket and press Print on the AlphaSmart.

I recomend sending the work to computer and opening in word first as the spellcheck on the AlphaSmart is very basic.

The battery life is really good charged about once a month with ful school days use!! Can be ran of plug if needed. Also it is very durable its been in my clumsy hands and still alive as well as being thrown across the classroom numerous times (Please note it was not me throwing it)

Also, there was an accident in science where water got tipped on it. Put on radiator overnight by morning not a problem!! Dont reccomend trying it again though!!

Same again any questions! Ask away

If you google it, you will be able to see what it looks like. Mumble rocks has explained very clearly I think.

Here's some stuff from a funding application from a teacher:

The AlphaSmart functions as a keyboard enabling the children to type at their desk or on a field trip, save documents and transfer to the main computer in the classroom for publishing work either by using the printer or uploading work to the class web site.

The AlphaSmart 2000 is a lightweight, low-cost, portable word processor with a built-in LCD screen and full-size keyboard. It enables you to enter and edit text and then easily transfer it to a PC or Mac for formatting and printing. It also prints directly for draft printouts.

With growing attention to the importance of computer literacy for students of all socioeconomic backgrounds, the AlphaSmart offers an affordable and efficient supplement to multiple, expensive desktop PC's or laptops.

It has 8 files (64 pages of text), functions on 3AA batteries for 300 hours and has foreign language support. There is no software to install - its simplicity of use makes it an ideal solution for maximizing computer resources in home or educational environments.

And it's very robust!

Hi tmf.If your child has DCD or handwriting difficulties associated with ASD and has documented SEN it would be worth asking school about obtaining an Alphasmart before you pay for one.Ben also uses one in school and it has made a big difference to him.He is now able to demostrate that he is very good at literacy -before he could hardly write anything without getting cramp and was starting to get very frustrated.

If you are thinking about buying one for home use to be honest you would do better to pick up a cheap lap-top.Unless you can obtain a second hand Alphasmart the price difference between an Alphasmart and basic lap-top may not be enough to make it worth buying an Alphasmart.Karen.

Sorry, I know I do it every time alpha-smarts are mentioned... but I have to say it:

I LOVE ALPHA-SMARTS!

There, that's better.

Seriously though - it's simplicity is the key. You just can't go wrong with them. I like the wireless ones best - that way the kids don't even have to bother with the USB, they just press the send button - makes them much more independent.

Heres a link (don't know if it will work though)

Sorry I have taken the link out as it does not come within Forum rules.Karen

Edited by Karen A
Removal of link