ScienceGeek

Supermarkets

This morning we went to Tesco, I was feeling okish before we left. Pretty much as soon as we got in there I felt panicky, shaky and overwhelmed. There were noises, smells and people everywhere. My hearing almost shut down to the point where I could hear hardly anything. I'm back home now, but my ears are still funny and hands are really shaky. :wallbash:

This morning we went to Tesco, I was feeling okish before we left. Pretty much as soon as we got in there I felt panicky, shaky and overwhelmed. There were noises, smells and people everywhere. My hearing almost shut down to the point where I could hear hardly anything. I'm back home now, but my ears are still funny and hands are really shaky. :wallbash:

Ah, the joy of the supermarket. MP3 player or earplugs and now my blue glasses really help (though they're too dark so I walk into people - ho hum :whistle:). I find it useful to have a list and plan out my route around the shelves in my head before I go - and I stick to it. I am never one to 'browse' and it saves money because I'm not tempted by 'offers' etc. I always plan to go about this time of the day - people have gone home from shopping after taking kids to school, but the lunchtime rush hasn't started. I also use self-checkout as it gives me more control. The other option of course is to buy online.

I find it useful to have a list and plan out my route around the shelves in my head before I go

Do you write your list in the order you will come across the product as you walk around the store? Or is that just me?

I work in a supermarket. I work nights now, but days were very unpleasant, especially when the shop gets very busy. My job was to check the use by dates, so I was allowed to shut everything out and face the shelf most of the time. I didn't have to move long distances around the shop floor like most staff have to. Customers often had to ask me several times to get my attention.

Now I work nights I can do my shopping first thing as the shop opens, while it's quiet. Because I'm there every day, I don't have to do a big shop either, which is convenient. The quietest times are first thing in the morning, between 7 and 8.30, especially earlier in the week. Stay away from Fridays and Sundays.

You might find earplugs helpful. Since all the senses are connected, it might even help you cope with the other sensory issues.

Normally I'll write a shopping list that follows the way we walk around the shopping centre. This was just a small shop and wasn't really planned out at all. Needed some food for the day until we go for a proper shop. I'm normally very organised when it comes to making lists. I've been ill recently so that probably didn't help.

My shopping list is on the computer, in aisle order B)

Trouble is, its Sainsbury's aisle order, & I go to Tesco now :lol:

I shop online when they give me a voucher which cancels out the delivery charge.

Used to hate going with JP cos of his sensory issues - we once left the moment we arrived cos there were valentines balloons everywhere, & he used to be terrified of balloons.

Do you write your list in the order you will come across the product as you walk around the store? Or is that just me?

Doesn't everyone? :unsure: Although they'd moved some stuff to make way for christmas things today which didn't help - I needed crackers but they'd put the christmassy variety where the rye ones used to be - I don't think snaps, hats and plastic toys go too well with cheese . . . :eat:

We have to make lists in our house as things have to be structured for my girlfriend who has OCD. My mum never used to write lists as detailed as we do, normally just a rough idea of what she needs to get, not normally even in order.

If earplugs don't help completely,combo them with a pair of ear defenders.

This is what am do [also go to tesco on tuesday],nevermind people on the spectrum,it's surprising NTs aren't meltdowning at the end of it,extremely long cues [want to be anywhere but there due to surrounding noise],everyone using credit cards for any little thing slowing the rest down,people who set the security alarm off-walking back in,then walking out to set it off again-and some of them repeat it,screaming children....people who leave their packed trolleys piled up across the isle whilst they're off somewhere else so makes it very difficult to get past,those who treat the shop as an unofficial creche whilst their off doing their shopping leaving their children running everywhere screaming........

It's like something off the Jeremy Kyle show.

Science Geek,

what type of tesco is it?

Is it one of the huge warehouse type tescos? or small low ceiling tesco?

warehouse type ones are the worst for people with hypersensitivity to noise/sound processing problems due to their maximum space for echoeing,the smaller lower ceiling ones are better.

Edited by TuX

Science Geek,

what type of tesco is it?

Is it one of the huge warehouse type tescos? or small low ceiling tesco?

warehouse type ones are the worst for people with hypersensitivity to noise/sound processing problems due to their maximum space for echoeing,the smaller lower ceiling ones are better.

It was a big warehouse type Tesco. There were people absolutely everywhere! I swear people bathe in perfume/aftershave before they go out. There was the beeping of the checkouts, people, phones, screaming children, bright lights. Urgh. I have tinted lenses which help somewhat with the bright lights.

It was a big warehouse type Tesco. There were people absolutely everywhere! I swear people bathe in perfume/aftershave before they go out. There was the beeping of the checkouts, people, phones, screaming children, bright lights. Urgh. I have tinted lenses which help somewhat with the bright lights.

Is there no way can avoid them?

Any other supermarkets nearby?

Is there no way can avoid them?

Any other supermarkets nearby?

Unfortunately in this particular situation it wasn't. I had to pay by cheque and tesco is the only local one that takes cheques. Normally we shop in Asda, which isn't as bad as Tesco, and I know where everything is. As long as we go at the right time and get out quickly it is ok. Like I said above it was probably exacerbated by the fact that I've been ill.

do you have problems with the lights too? you can use dot.com if its all too much,or if find out when your store is less buzy,unfortnately this time of year is the silly season and there will be people,noise and smells in mega form, maybe go on a less busy time and just walk around the store without buying anything and get a idea where everything is maybe a store map from customer services .