Flora

finally have a new tutor

We finally have a new tutor for Bill. She came to meet us this morning and she seems really lovely. The last one was a bit austere, and really flumoxed me as she wouldn't accept tea/coffee or anything, just came in, said hello and got on with it. This one is really nice, gratefully accepts and guzzles tea (which makes me feel more comfortable about having her in my home), she's got a nice soft voice and pleasant demeanour which will make Bill feel comfortable. She starts next Tuesday and I'm just relieved that she is someone I can relate to. The last tutor was never very friendly, then after she told me she was leaving she stabbed me in the back (not literally of course) by covering up her own inadequacies by pretending I was stopping her from doing her job :o I know that sounds a bit fantastical but it's absolutely true.

What I have found over the years with teachers, both in my experience of the one's who've taught my kids, and through friends and family who are teachers, that a good one is worth their weight in gold; but a bad one is in a position to do so much damage it's almost criminal (same as nurses and doctors I suppose). There are certain types of teachers who think that some of us poor mortals are lacking in the band width department; that they know everything and you are just an ignoramous who knows nothing. I'm not generalising here, I know there are excellent teachers, but it's the pretentious know it alls and the one's who think they can't be taught anything (particularly by a parent) who should be ejected from the profession, because they are not worthy of such a responsible position.

This one, on first meeting, seems to be a goodun, so I'm very hopeful that she will see us through to tribunal and Bill might make up some lost ground.

flora

Hope all goes well with the new teacher, Flora. I know what you mean about the attitude of some. The second year that I was home edding I wanted to find a tutor just to help me out with a few basis for an hour a week. I was recommended this private tutor who turned out to be a right old witch! Talk about patronizing. I found her quite intimidating, in fact!! The last straw came when I heard her in the other room giving Jay a good telling off for not concentrating and telling him, 'you've got away with things ALL YOUR LIFE'!! :o I stormed in there and had it out with her and, needless to say, we didn't go back! :P

Anyways, hope your new teacher turns out to be really good for Bill. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

:thumbs: yay :thumbs:

Treasure the good uns.

I reckon there must be a paper written somewhere entitled "the social aspects of tea drinking as applied to the British". It really does oil the social wheels doesnt it. My old mum still makes me a cup of tea (in dirty cup with sour milk :sick: ) I dispose of it discreetly but wouldnt DREAM of refusing :lol:

Hi.The mention of tea drinking made me smile.

I used to be a District Nurse in my previous life.I was always keen to accept a cup of tea or coffee when offered at it was regarded as an acceptance that people welcomed the intrusion into their home.

The only problem is that tea drinking is always followed by toilet visits. :lol::lol:

Any ''nice'' toilet stop in my patch was very welcome. :lol::lol:

Hi.The mention of tea drinking made me smile.

I used to be a District Nurse in my previous life.I was always keen to accept a cup of tea or coffee when offered at it was regarded as an acceptance that people welcomed the intrusion into their home.

Karen, that's exactly it. It doesn't seem important but it really is. If, what is in reality, a stranger comes into your home and has access to your child on a daily basis, then refuses all hospitality it feels like they are controlling your environment. It's hard to explain, but it really feels like they have taken control and you are left with no roll. I suppose it's along the lines that in some cultures it's taken as a huge insult if you don't accept their offer of food/refreshments. It just feels wrong.

I was never comfortable with her the whole time she was teaching Bill. She never smiled, not once. She caused loads of trouble for me when she decided to give up her tuition of my son. She was definately an oddity.

flora

The new tutor sounds really nice Flora, she's obviously more relaxed and happier doing her job than the last one :thumbs: . Being like that will really help Bill, brilliant!

I know what you mean about the tea thing :) .

Annie

xx