KateBall

Annual Review

I have the annual review this week and as far as I know present will be the SENCO and ED Psych. The SALT and OT were invited but have declined. That's a good start isn't it. DS is 9 and has this and another year at Primary School. He has School Action + but no statement or dx. To me he is HFA perhaps or something similar.

What should I expect them to be able to do at this meeting? I just find these meetings all talk and no subsequent action. My feeling is I shall be asking them if they think he is progressing under their use of various strategies (and if not what to do about it - eg assessment or whatever) and what strategies/things need to be in place when he goes to senior school. Am I on the right lines?

Been thinking back to JP's transition plan, sure there will be lots of peeps who know more than me but a few things stick in my mind:

His TA went with him. But dont know if your lad has one. But it so helped him having a familiar face. She ended up working with him from the age of 8 to 16.

He went on lots of extra visits in the term before he started, to familiarise himself with the layout & meet the staff etc. Moving from class to class v stressful, so they tried to stagger it slightly for him so he could avoid the crush. Most stressful times break/lunch. They ended up letting him go to the library rather than face the asphalt jungle. He was allowed extra time/quiet room for SATS etc.

Sorry, all a bit rambly, tis blissfully fading into the past now.

Hi.The SEN code of practice HEREincludes information on annual review that may be helpful.If your child is in year 5 then the review should include the first stage of planning for transition.At Ben's review we were asked about our preliminary thoughts about possible secondary schools.In our area the LEA also invited parents of children in year 5 with statements to a seperate meeting to talk about the procedure for secondary school application and to give ideas about what to think about when visiting schools.

If you feel your child is notting getting adequate support or is not making adequate progress it is worth being very clear at the review.If you think the support may not be adequate to cover transition then now is the time to say so as it will be important to sort it out next year.

The other professionals should send a report even if they decline to attend so don't be afraid to chaise the SENCO to ask for the information.Karen.

Thanks Pearl and Karen. I've printed out the SEN code of practice and will arm myself with relevant facts before the meeting - just in case. Pearl - who contacted the senior school to make arrangements re the extra visits. Is it down to the primary SENCO or the ED Psych to get in touch with them about a transition plan - or down to me?

I've already had a meeting with the school ds will likely go to - just to see if I like them! They are the designated school for this area so transport will be provided by bus. Also they are the smallest of the senior schools in this area and I thought this would help my ds than send him to one twice the size. My dd went there but they have changed a lot since then.

Hi.In our area it is up to parents to arrange visits to secondary schools although the LEA do provide advice re what to look for and what questions to ask.

Parent Partnership will also accompany parents on visits if they are asked .

The transition plan is put together by the professionals involved with your child.I think most of the work is done when a child is in year 6 -for secondary transition.However we have asked for an exta professional meeting later this school year -year 5 so we can start to think about school options.In our area applications need to be in just before Autumn half term so it is worth doing some visits when a child is in year 5.Karen.

Pearl - who contacted the senior school to make arrangements re the extra visits. Is it down to the primary SENCO or the ED Psych to get in touch with them about a transition plan - or down to me?

It was either the primary SENCO or his class teacher, I cant remember which, sorry. The schools did most of the transition organising between them, with lots of input from JP, me & mr pearl.

B's in year 8.

He had several visits to the Secondary school, organised by Primary SENCO, accompanied by a Learning Mentor TA who was fantastic. They happened in the late spring and summer term of his Y6.

The Secondary set up opportunities linked to his preferences, so he had several art sessions, history and chemistry.

The school he's at is huge, over 1200, but the infrastructure that they have is very supportive of ASDs and other learning needs.

In his Primary, it was very hard for him to avoid people he had annoyed, and he often felt trapped by the limitations of his surroundings.At Secondary, he has a card that enables him to take certain short cuts to avoid crowds and corridors full of children, and they run a two week timetable which he enjoys.

Hi Kate,

I organised the extra visits myself, once we found and got the school we had decided upon I arranged to meet the Head of Year and the SENCO. It imperative that they understand the enormity of the transition for your child and that how ever they agree to do it, they must be consistent. Sadly all the efforts I tried to make weren't always met by the school and their understanding of Austism was very woolly (I think they thought he could be cured!!!) without trying to sound too negative one year and a bit later we are no longer in school and my DS is signed off with stress and anxiety and are awaiting on our parental request for an assessment for a statement. Each and every child is different, but please do all you can to ensure the transition goes as smoothly as possible, you need the school onside, but most importantly you need to ensure your childs concerns and difficulties will be met on an ongoing basis and not just the first day ! If you have your primary school onside it might be worth talking to them about a statement which could stand your child in good stead for secondary school.

Good luck

Clare x x x