Sign in to follow this  
Rhianydd

any ideas

DS has just had a major headbanging temper tantrum over ripping up a train ticket

well in head bangin mood has head butted the window and smashed it

so now we have to replace the window its a double glazed panel so has smashed just the one panel

not sure if to replace it with normal glass or if there is something stronger than normal glass that we can replace it with

Hi Rhianydd -

Not 100% sure on this, but I think you'll have to have the repair done by a double glazing co rather than a standard glazier/home job, otherwise the double glazing will be ineffective (has to be hermetically sealed to prevent condensation, I think(?)...)

I thought there was new legislation about safety glass being fitted to new products as standard, but couldn't find any details so maybe it's just in DOOR panels and not windows?

If you think there's a chance of a repeat performance, safety glass makes good sense, but will prob cost much more... it's toughened, but also shatters into little 'cubes' (like a windscreen) with no sharp edges...

Found thios link, which might be helpful:

http://www.diydata.com/materials/glass/glass.php

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

You can ordered a toughend glass I think its called laminated but check with your local glazer. You can ask you local glazer to come out measure up and replace the double glazed unit. Or you can take out the long beads all around the inside of the window and remove from the outside take the unit to the glazier and they will replace for the same.

Take care

Lynne

going to get step dad to have a look(he used to do double glazing) but been and put a look on our bedroom door to keep ds out as it was our bedroom he did it in

in his bedroom we have had secondery glazing put on the window(we have window then blackout blind then secondary glazed windowto stop ds pulling the blind down and hanging himself on the cord)that has the safty glass in it

just been one of them days

It is possible to get extra tough glass.It was recently used in a partition in our church hall and can withstand a football being kicked against it.Unfortunately it may be too expensive to be a realistic option for home and you may need to order it.Sorry you had a tough day.Karen.

Is there not any more help from OT or CDC that could look at helping with the situation of headbanging, is there not a possibility he could wear a head brace to prevent such a blow, some day soon he may cause serious injury, some children headbang so hard because they know that the parent cant ignore it if it causes serious damage either to the child or to other surrounding, and so it gets worse and worse, there was a little girl on house of tiny tearaways and she head butted, really badly, she was deaf and later diagnosed as Autistic and they did a series of techneques with her, one of the things the parents had to do was ignore it and place her on a bean bag so she couldnt hurt herself, also she did start to wear a head protector tempary until the headbanging lessens, a lot of why the girl headbanged was attention, and frustration of not been able to communicate and she couldnt read faces well, they used visual cards and totally upped the visual emotional faces, like sad, angry, cry, so she could understand better.

more about mia here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/t...wo/week01.shtml

Is there any possibility of a referral for OT, this is also where you could get home adaptions grant too, looking at all the areas of your home, including her sleeping area so her cot/bed could be specific to her needs so if she where to head but in her bed she wont hurt her self as much.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Is there not any more help from OT or CDC that could look at helping with the situation of headbanging, is there not a possibility he could wear a head brace to prevent such a blow, some day soon he may cause serious injury, some children headbang so hard because they know that the parent cant ignore it if it causes serious damage either to the child or to other surrounding, and so it gets worse and worse, there was a little girl on house of tiny tearaways and she head butted, really badly, she was deaf and later diagnosed as Autistic and they did a series of techneques with her, one of the things the parents had to do was ignore it and place her on a bean bag so she couldnt hurt herself, also she did start to wear a head protector tempary until the headbanging lessens, a lot of why the girl headbanged was attention, and frustration of not been able to communicate and she couldnt read faces well, they used visual cards and totally upped the visual emotional faces, like sad, angry, cry, so she could understand better.

more about mia here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/t...wo/week01.shtml

Is there any possibility of a referral for OT, this is also where you could get home adaptions grant too, looking at all the areas of your home, including her sleeping area so her cot/bed could be specific to her needs so if she where to head but in her bed she wont hurt her self as much.

JsMum

Sorry to interupt the thread but I wonder if you can help.I have been attempting to find an episode of this programme for a friend.Although the info is on the web I cannot find the programme anywhere.Any ideas ???Thanks.Karen.

going to have a word with the OTs afetr the new year

HI would cover it but �100 excess on the policy so not realy worth doing it through them

normaly when DS is in headbanging mood he is put in his bedroom(waiting for the walls to be padded at the mo)

what normaly starts the head banging is something going wrong he ripped a train ticket up when he was playing upstairs

B&Q sells a clear roll cant think of the name, but its like cling film l put on my glass windows, because my daughter did the same thing, its like an anti-break for your glass. have never had a broken window since, fingers crossed. sure start told me about it, plus they fit it for young children plus saftey gates,& fire guards. hope this helps, and good luck

Edited by sadmum