Bagpuss

Duke of Edinburgh Awards

Our DS 14 NT, came home from school yesterday, clutching a lot of information about Duke of Edinburgh Awards. He says he's really interested in doing it, and has to go on a Thursday evening, starting this week.

Obviously I've heard of them, but don't know anyone who has done one, or know anything really about them, other than what's on the leaflets.

Anyone had any experience? Would love to hear about it if so :)

Hi

Dh did this when he was younger! and he said it was excellent he loved it. I will speak to him tonight when he comes home and let you know more info.

Brooke

Hi I done it when I was younger it was really good fun I only done it for about a year but went on lots of trips I absailed off mount snodonia went potholing canoeing and orientering. It was always a really good laugh and I made lots of freinds I just remember my mum and dad complaining about how much I was costing them!

Hi.I did it too...not saying how very long ago. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I went on a walking weekend to the lake distict and also did a short course in pet care with the RSPCA.Karen.

My daughter did this a few years ago. You usually start with bronze. This involves doing a skill for 3 (I think) months - so if your child plays an instrument this would count, doing some kind of sport for 3 months and volunteering for three months - my daughter worked in an Oxfam shop after school.

They then do a weekend camping and orienteering, usually pretty local - my daughter absolutely loved this part even though she got completely soaked and exhausted.

If you go on to silver and gold you have to spend longer on each task and go camping for longer in further away places.

It's a good thing to have on your personal statement for uni, or your cv when you go out to work as it demonstrates all those buzzwords like leadership, team work, communication skills, problem-solving, etc.

Edited by barefoot wend

I never completed mine but was working towards both bronze and silver. I'd done the expeditions for both of them and the voluntary services. Bronze literally just needed a sport and it would have been completed. The main problem was I never finished it whilst at school and the Duke of Edinburgh group at University clashed with one of the other groups I was a member of. That said the bits I did do I enjoyed. I always did like walking which is what I did for both my expeditions though it would have been cool to have done kayaking or one of the other options. Voluntary service wise I helped in a local Primary as a support assistant for one of them (it was the reason I had to go to a primary rather than help in one of the lower year groups in the secondary - kindly my secondary happily organised such things for 6th formers in our free periods). I really enjoyed doing this and I think it is one of the first things that made me decide that I wanted to go into teaching. The other voluntary service was helping at a farm (the one attached to the college my dad worked at during that time). I got to do fun things like feeding the calves. It's certainly provides a few of the stronger memories from that time of my life. The other bit I enjoyed doing with the Scouts (and is rather similar) is the Queen's Scout Award. That I did complete and had to parade down at Windsor Castle. Have my nice Palatanate Purple (think Pink) necker somewhere. I'm glad your son has decided to do this and I hope he enjoys it as much as I do. All the best to him in his new undertaking. (As a last aside it was the DofE group that went to Kenya and was what led to me wanting to go back and do some voluntary work there.)

All the best, David.