Sign in to follow this  
loranderc

NAS international conference

Hi there

Noticed programme for NAS 2005 conference in September is out. Would love to go to see Tony Attwood et al but the delegate cost for parents is crazy- something like �300 each. Called the NAS to find out why so expensive for parents but guess what- they haven't called back! I guess we parents aren't important enough!

Is anyone going to attend either through work or something. It would be great if we could arrange someone from the forum with more expertise on ASD than myself to go and feedback to the forum. What do you think?

Perhaps we could even send a representative?

Regards

L

PS found the intro page tried to introduce myself but crashed out and cant find it- will try again later.

xx

:D Don,t really want to show off but shall anyway :thumbs: .I,m meeting Tony in April. :D .Not personally though.Going to a seminar at a special school.The cost was �50 to parents.Places went very Quickly(missed out last year),there are other venues that he is doing on his website,don,t know if these have soldout.But shall post a full report on my day B) ,I,m very excited :P

Would love to go to see Tony Attwood et al but the delegate cost for parents is crazy- something like �300 each. Called the NAS to find out why so expensive for parents but guess what- they haven't called back! I guess we parents aren't important enough!

Well to be honest the parents price is the cheapest of all (for both days) so I don't understand why this leads you to claim parents "were not important".

This is a conference for clinicians and researchers in the medical and psychological areas not an informative "fair" or "open lecture" type event for parents and interested laypeople, I'm afraid.

Yes it's pricey but considering how much is done in these two days and how many well-known and respected experts they have gathered together, it does not at all seem unreasonable.

As I said it is primarily aimed at clinicians and people who work with autistic and AS folks (educators etc.), not for parents or the general public, so it seems commendable that they offer a reduced rate for parents at all!

Edited by Noetic

Hi Neotic

Sorry if i upset you in any way.

As you are aware from the nature of the majority of the postings on here from parents- we have no option but to find out as much as Health care professionals (HCP) / Education authorities (EA) to feed back and often neccessarily question/challenge local health care professionals who may not be as clued up on ASD as we (parents and children alike) would wish them to be.

If two parents go together the price seems incredibly high and the majority of "professional" delegates will have their places paid by or subsidised by their employers training budget. Parents will most likely have to find the money themselves. So yes as a professional conference is concerned the price is vey fair but for parents who have to be their childs advocate then I still think that the cost is too high!

You can see from this forum many parents are either as clued up on ASD as HCP/(EA) or even more than some which is unfair but a fact we have to deal with. Without this knowledge many of our children ( and us) with not get their needs met

Best wishes

L

Hi Neotic

Sorry if i upset you in any way.

Hi,

No I was not upset, sorry if that was how it came across. I just wanted to point out that it was perhaps inappropriate to complain about the cost for parents, since it is not in the first place a conference aimed at the general public. :D

PS

the feeling that we are not important enough came from the fact that after 2 calls they (the conference team) have not called back.

L

Oh I see - yes that makes sense! I don't think it is because of parents though, they do seem to be a bit slow at getting back to people even by E-Mail. And even when enquiring about orders! :o

Most of the time I believe that 'the parents' are the experts and maybe if they really listened to some of us they would learn something! I am not the general public I am however a very interested party. Perhaps they should hold a behind closed doors conference where they need not be bothered by parents at all.

Carole

Most of the time I believe that 'the parents' are the experts and maybe if they really listened to some of us they would learn something! I am not the general public I am however a very interested party. Perhaps they should hold a behind closed doors conference where they need not be bothered by parents at all.

Don't people on here post time and time again about how they are frustrated by the lack of awareness and knowledge among professionals? Well it's conferences like this one that are trying to change that!

Now if you want all those educational conferences reserved mainly for parents, leaving less spaces for the professionals the conference was intended for in the first place, then where are professionals supposed to go to learn about Autism?

If parents are already the "experts", then why not allow the professionals to become their equals by letting them attend such conferences, so that they can learn more, and educate themselves, rather than whine about how parents should be let in cheaper? Why not suggest that a parent can participate in the next conference as a speaker?

There are conferences, lectures and courses that are aimed at laypeople, parents and carers, and that do deal with more practical, everyday aspects. This is not one of them.

Of course it would be great if there were more conferences aimed at laypeople and everyday concerns but you have to accept that you can't have every medical or psychiatric conference configured to suit you or to let you in cheap because you are interested, too. (Why not just be happy that they open it to parents at all, at a reduced rate - not many other professional symposia and conferences allow that!)

Professionals do have a right to educate themselves about Autism without parents making demands to be let in unreasonably cheap - thus leaving less room for the audience that the conference is actually aimed at!

Edited by Noetic

I take your point, Noetic. But some of us parents are actually interested just as much in the theory and research as in the practical everyday aspects of autism. Many parents of autistic children could not afford the cost of attending such a conference as thay are unable to earn due to their care commitments. Perhaps the NAS and other autism related charities could sponsor a few places for parents at such conferences.

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Guys

Wouldn't it be great if there was a joint conference. One for parents/those with aspergers and one for professionals with a cross over somewhere in the middle- now that would tryuely be a meeting of minds and expertise!

I'm sorry if i sound frustrated Neotic but as both a parent and someone in the health care profession ( but not involved with AS in a professional capacity) I agree with Kathryn that I would love to know more about all the theoretical aspects to help me truely understand. Seeing and hearing experts helps me learn much quicker than any book. Its saves trying to find the answer all by myself when others already have the answer and can share their expertise there and then! Parents can also help the pros get it right too as Tony Attwood says somewher in his books that its is those with or living with AS that are experts because the live and breathe it 24/7. The pros research also helps us validate what we know to be right but cant proove it

And yes it would be fantastic if the NAS could donate some tickets to families or forums like this.

Kris

Would you consider asking the NAS if they would offer a couple of tickets to KRISM to let somone feed back to the forum or perhaps we could ask our local support groups( although budget constraints will be much tighter than National budget?

Just a thought

L

Perhaps the NAS and other autism related charities could sponsor a few places for parents at such conferences.

Good point, it would be great to have each local chapter have a few places for parent representatives who are NAS members or something.

I do also hope that more parents push for speaker positions at such conferences - understanding what it's like to live with an autistic kid day to day is also something that many professionals probably don't have much insight into (although I must say that there are quite a few who DO have autistic kids themselves).

They meet lots of autistic individuals but I don't think all of them get to see the parents' PoV too often.

Edited by Noetic