David Matthew Baker

Cartoons I remember from my childhood

I think watching cartoons from your own childhood gives you a cosy, safe feeling. I've been in heaven watching some of the black & white 60s ones on youtube.

I think your right there. It reminds you of easier more care free times. I have a few books I used for a similar purpose. A series of books about a fictious place called Hartwarp by John Pudney. They are all based around the a light railway and the adventures of 3 children.

While I think some of my interests are those of someone younger than me I know at other times I have people thinking I'm alot older. Early on when we first got xbox live (at least 4 years ago) one group of my online friends thought I was in my 30s or 40s. Had fun convincing them I wasn't. Ended up video chathog to one of them on MSN.

There has been a lot of mysteries surrounding MCoG. One of them was that the official English soundtrack was "lost" and the only surviving English soundtracks are from video recordings. Another one is that the BBC intended to broadcast the series again in 1991/2 but didn't because of concerns over violence.

My understanding was that the master of the animation had been destroyed and the soundtrack lost. Then there was a lot of confusion over who owned the rights.

Since the announcement of the DVD the reason that has been given is rights related. The reason we can get a DVD release is because the French company that was half the group that initially made the series managed to locate and regain all the rights to MCoG so they could work on a film version. The company that is releasing the DVD then approached them and asked for permission to do so. Hopefully one of the extras might explain the full tale. No doubt it could be yet another version though. i'm just pleased it is finally getting a release.

It may even include subtitles (English and Polish) that I and a few others helped make as the subtitle files were passed onto the company. I'm very pleased to see that they've been talking to some of the people who run the fan sites too. It means we could have some interesting extras.

Note: I helped with the Polish subtitles by explaining what parts of the English meant. There were a number of expressions and phrases that the person making the subtitles didn't understand. He also had fun understanding the spoken English in places hence I wrote out some transcripts of what was said during the episodes. There were a few times I wasn't sure so asked some other friends for assistance. We then decided as a group it would be worth making a set of English subtitles. In part to make it easier for anyone else to make a set of foreign subtitles in the future. They were provided to the company releasing the DVDs in the hope they'd find them useful.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

My understanding was that the master of the animation had been destroyed and the soundtrack lost. Then there was a lot of confusion over who owned the rights.

I'm not too sure about this because MCoG with a French soundtrack has been broadcast in France several times in recent years and is available on DVD.

It means we could have some interesting extras.

I hope they include the documentaries. They were never broadcast in Britain for some reason or other.

I own the series in French and German and neither is great quality wise. I've also on a writeable DVD have copied VOB files from the Japanese and Canadian releases. None of them are great picture wise though are better than the VHS rips that were available on the web. The best of the bunch are probably the Japanese and German releases which look very similar in terms of picture quality. With the Canadian release been the worst by a considerable margin. The French one looks more vibrant but has a lot of artifacts due I guess to some sort of digital cleaning process. None are close in terms of picture quality though in relation to some other series released from the same period. This makes me wonder if there is truth in the original master (in whatever language it was in - French or Japanese) has been lost or destroyed (I heard something about a fire). It will be interesting when it releases to see the quality of the picture on this release. They are remastering the video and audio from some source. Out of the present versions the German is my favourite as it has the English opening.

Think we may be missing these ones:

Heathcliffe

Teenage mutant hero turtles - Think this may duplicate one but is the English rather than American intro.

Bettle juice

Adams family

The charlie brown and snoopy show

Starting to run out of ones I can remember now and may start repeating myself. Perhaps should find time to put all the ones we have into some sort of order.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold is now available now on DVD !

This is the first time ever this series has been available on DVD in English Language anywhere in the world!

This version will have exclusive packaging , an exclusive poster and exclusive postcards. This set is also a limited edition and it is bound to sell out very fast. The pre-order price is �17 less than the recommended retail price too!

You can order the entire series in one complete box set from HMV online:

http://www.hmv.co.uk

Not a cartoon - but does anyone remember Maid Marion & Her Merry Men?

We adored it in our house. Tony Robinson based her character on his feisty lil daughter.

Starting to run out of ones I can remember now and may start repeating myself. Perhaps should find time to put all the ones we have into some sort of order.

All the 'Monicas' can help with that :lol: I'm a Ross unfortunately, so I would just be taking a break. :lol:

We adored it in our house. Tony Robinson based her character on his feisty lil daughter.

Might have known you'd find some way of getting Mr Tony in a ditch into this ... :P

Edited by Mumble

[quote name='Mumble' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:39 PM' post='195602'

Might have known you'd find some way of getting Mr Tony in a ditch into this ... :P

:P I've found an Appreciation Soc on FB ... :wub:

Tony Robinson for Pearl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Av-N84mPxXs

Robin Hood Song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w1cLNS8jL7Y

A seasonal one for you here (Pancake Day):

Well here is the end sequence for you:

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks David!! Awww, I wish theyd show it again.

They seem to have released it on DVD at some stage. It comes up on a well known store that recently purchased a Wizard related item. There seem to be four different seasons available. The following are their ASIN numbers:

B000CS3520 - Maid Marian And Her Merry Men - Series 1 [1989]

B000FOT6Z6 - Maid Marian And Her Merry Men - Series 2 [1989]

B000I5XN6U - Maid Marian And Her Merry Men - Series 3 [1989]

B000M2EIKE - Maid Marian And Her Merry Men - Series 4 [1989]

One of the reviews describes it as Blackadder for Children. :D

The Black Adder

Black Adder 3

Black Adder 4

wow, great thread and brings back soooo many memories. funny really cause i have bought several of the dvds in the past as they have been released, gret to hear cities of gold is out!

used to love rentaghost and adventure game as well as the ones already mentioned :)

My boys love the Crystal maze it's on Challange T.V AND They are bringing gladiators back on a sky channel some time this year!!

Here's another kids programme I just remembered

P-O-B

Edited by kellyanne