David Matthew Baker

Cartoons I remember from my childhood

Are you feeling OK Bard?? :unsure: I think you need to lie down in a darkened room for a while with something alcoholic . . .

The Voyages of Dr Dolittle - this was shown on CBBC some time in the mid 80s but I must have been the only person who watched it.

I watched that one too!! :D

Does anyone remember a pink animal-type thing? It used to look a bit like the Pink Panther but it had a funny sort of plumby voice, not sure if it was a cat of some kind. I remember my fav. t-shirt as a little girl had a picture of him on it, can't remember his name though.

~ Mel ~

Does anyone remember a pink animal-type thing? It used to look a bit like the Pink Panther but it had a funny sort of plumby voice, not sure if it was a cat of some kind. I remember my fav. t-shirt as a little girl had a picture of him on it, can't remember his name though.

:unsure:

do u remember childrens programe -that was like a kind youth club thing -im sure it has why is the title -but cant think of it..................it showed u how to make things and do games ..........

That was called Why Don't You?

~ Mel ~

I was tempted to say it was a character out of Stoppit and Tidyup, but that came out in the late 80s.

Hi does anyone remember cockleshell bay??? I loved that when I was about 5/6ish and willow the wisp!!

got it -was -

why dont you

also i was a big fab fan of rentaghost :thumbs:

i loved rentaghost :thumbs: audrey roberts from corrie was in it wasent she

I remember Kissyfur & Dr doolittle Canopus.

Has anyone mentioned Roobarb yet & Henrys Cat?

Now, delving back into prehistoric times, what I used to watch as a littlie:

Andy Pandy

Bill & Ben

The Woodentops

Rag Tag & Bobtail

Torchy (torchy, the battery boy)

I'll have to go & have a lie down now, all this remembering has tired me out.

I was tempted to say it was a character out of Stoppit and Tidyup, but that came out in the late 80s.

Terry Wogan did the voice over for that!

I see someone else poster a Crystal Maze clip. :D I was on my phone when I edited the post and didn't have any easy way to find a clip. I can access you tube but only get a list of videos and don't have any links. Boy have you lot been busy though. Lets see which of the ones you've mentioned I can find links for. First another programme I just remembered about:

Narnia (BBC) - I really like the music from this intro. I enjoyed the series too. In many ways prefer it to the resent film because it is more accurate. Here is another link with some pictures taken from the shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-gxEk51OQs

Pingu - Me and my brother both used to enjoy watching this too. Probably still would to be honest.

Mr Men (Mr Happy)

- Don't recognise this at all.

- This I remember well. Can't quite do theme word for word but I'm not far off.

- Just remember this so thought I'd include it.

Godzilla

- This is the one I remember seeing before.

- Not sure I remember this. The medalion you see in the start sequence looks almost identical to the MCOG one. Might just be video quality though. Don't know of any connection. Ulysses 31 however came from the same company as MCOG.

She Ra - I remember this too. About the only cartoons we weren't keen to watch when we were younger (that I can remember were Care Bares and My Little Pony - must have seen even some of them occasionally as I can vaguelly remember a plot or two).

The Hair Bear Bunch - Now before my time. Makes me think of the video I'm going to post up next though.

Yogi Bear

Yogi's Treasure Hunt - Never seen this before. Found it when finding the last video.

- This I remember watching myself. It's a fun cartoon. :)

Banana Splits - Worryingly I know the song but don't recognise the video.

Pipkins - Never seen this before.

The Double Deckers

Kissyfur - Never seen it before but judging by the intro I like it.

- Don't think I ever saw this.

- Reminds me of Fievel. I may have seen this before. It looks familar.

The Brave Little Toaster - Never came across this.

Willo the Wisp

Roobarb and Custard

Henry's Cat - I remember this. :)

Andy Pandy

The Woodentops

Rag, Tag and Bobtail

Random Tribute to 1970s - 1990s Children Shows. How many can you name? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-EBoiiP24

30mins of 80s Cartoon Openings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bto7l3cKhvk

Well that's it for another installment. :D

What about Mr Ben!!................................does no one remember the guy could strip in a flash..........(my kind of man :whistle: )..........

..............now ten points for the first person who can tell me what road he lived on...........only the oldies will know this though.......bads , flora annie..........kathryn???........ :lol: ...no cheating.............

now ten points for the first person who can tell me what road he lived on

I know, I know, I know!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::party:

Narnia (BBC) - I really like the music from this intro. I enjoyed the series too. In many ways prefer it to the resent film because it is more accurate.

You're making this difficult now. I have the new film on DVD waiting to be watched, but I enjoyed the BBC one so much I don't want to spoil my memories of it by watching the new one.

Henry's Cat - I remember this. :)

:D This had to be one of my favourites. I think I'd make quite a good Henry's Cat. I like food and I'm over logical. :lol::wacko:

Here's some more:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures - the cartoon not the film.

Dennis - the one with Mr Wilson the grumpy neighbour.

Voltron

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Telebugs - Not Teletubbies! Damn obscure cartoon broadcast on CITV.

Robotix - a less than impressive animated film based on the construction toy.

Jem and the Holograms - based on dolls with inbuilt LEDs.

Centurions - not many people have heard of this cartoon.

Gummi Bears - you could even buy gummiberry juice in the shops.

Ooh David thanks for the oldie links, I thought I was the only person in the universe who remembered Torchy! Also noticed links to Picturebook & Tales from the Riverbank which I'd forgotten about.

Now, not a cartoon, but does anyone remember a bbc childrens classic series from the mid 80s called Children of Green Knowe? I bought the book after the series & still re read it every christmas.

Now, not a cartoon, but does anyone remember a bbc childrens classic series from the mid 80s called Children of Green Knowe?

Vaguely, although I don't know how, as we didn't have a telly then and I was a bit young to be remembering :wacko: - Here is the opening thingy I definately remember the rocking horse in the titles though ... I think :unsure: (or maybe that was because I always wanted a rocking horse - that was before my space-hopper obsession took over!! Never got the rocking horse either!! :lol:)

It's reminded me of some other non-cartoon but children's things though:

Moondial

- though I think I found it quite scary, but I can't remember!

And if anyone is interested, a large national newspaper has obviously been reading this thread. They're giving away old children's classic TV shows on DVD starting from today with The Wombles.

"Underground, overground, wombeling free, the wombles of wimbledom common are we, Uncle Bulgaria do, do do do (forgot the words at that point!! :lol: )"

hey i remember that box of delights one

isnt it funny that u have the visions in your mind from all those years back but u cant remember the title -sometimes id thought id imagined some of the stuff up what id watched...

this thread is great

i had bacterial meningitis and septicemia at 19 -and very nearly died -i lost alot of my memories from years back before-so its great to see these kids things again.

Here's something that's gone but not forgotten. Kids today have probably never seen it, but when it was broadcast you had to get up early to see it. It's animated but not strictly a cartoon because the graphics don't move. What is it?

The test card. Back in the days before 24 hour TV, a video test card was broadcast overnight so you could check if your TV was working properly. I remember seeing the test card on Saturday mornings as the first programme to be broadcast was usually for kids.

this thread is reminding me of books we had read to us at infant school -one of my fav was The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles is a children's book written by Julie Edwards, the pen name of Julie Andrews, the singer and actress. More recent editions credit the book to "Julie Andrews Edwards".

we was read this in our last year in juniors -we all thought it was a very grown up book ...lol...x

heres my all time fav from when i was little

Gobbolino, The Witch's Cat is a children's novel written by Ursula Moray Williams. :robbie:

Edited by rainbow queen

Kipper the Dog

Pingu

Ivor the Engine

Noddy

oh and can anyone remember zzapp!?

strictly speaking, zzapp wasnt a cartoon....

and I only saw ivor the engine because it was repeated on channel 4 during the 90s despite being such a great but archaic cartoon!

The test card. Back in the days before 24 hour TV, a video test card was broadcast overnight so you could check if your TV was working properly. I remember seeing the test card on Saturday mornings as the first programme to be broadcast was usually for kids.

Oh yes, vagely, just - but not

- I love it, nothing to show for the next 15 minutes so we'll put this up!! And we complain about repeats nowadays!!

Gobbolino, The Witch's Cat is a children's novel written by Ursula Moray Williams. :robbie:

I never knew that was a show. I just remember the song in singing at school. When it was my turn to choose I always chose that and the other kids got annoyed because I didn't pick anything different. "One fine night in a witch's cavern, two little pussy cats rolled onto the floor. One named something was black all over, the other little kitten, had one white paw. Who'll give a home to a kitten? Who'll give a home to a cat . . ." :)

but does anyone remember a bbc childrens classic series from the mid 80s called Children of Green Knowe? I bought the book after the series & still re read it every christmas.

I didn't know that they'd made a series, but the book was one of my very favourites, and I still have a copy.

I read Gobbolino when I was young too :D I remember zzap, but from my sons era, he used to watch it when he was little. Didn't like it much myself, too much slapstick for me.

If you lot don't shut up I'm gonna find a clip of the singing ringing tree and scare the bejesus out of you all...

Atom Ant

Secret Squrrel

Squiddly Diddly

Little Auggie and Auggie Daddy

Hector Heathcote

Deputy Dawg...

At the ........ Road Association's annual Christmas party (parrafin jellies and paste sandwiches) there would be one of the local residents with his 8mmm projector (fnar fnar), and he'd show the same half dozen cartoons every year...

I could just about sit still for Popeye and/or Woody Woodpecker, but when he got on to the Laurel & Hardy/Chaplin shorts i'd be up and out of there...

Oh - I had the hots for the dark girl in 'Josie and the pussycats'... :rolleyes:

L&P

BD :D

Vaguely, although I don't know how, as we didn't have a telly then and I was a bit young to be remembering :wacko: - Here is the opening thingy I definately remember the rocking horse in the titles though ... I think :unsure: (or maybe that was because I always wanted a rocking horse - that was before my space-hopper obsession took over!! Never got the rocking horse either!! :lol:)

It's reminded me of some other non-cartoon but children's things though:

Moondial

- though I think I found it quite scary, but I can't remember!

:thumbs: Yes I remember those too.

The really old stuff David posted for me led me to others I'd forgotten - one called Space Patrol, sooo weird cos all I could remember was the spooky music. And Supercar - its the marvel of the age!

Have we mentioned...

Hector's House

and.....

Poggle Wood

or am I going back too far, I can remember "Listen with Mother" on the wireless :lol::lol::lol:

Clare x x x

Yet another section of Memory lane I can't walk down :crying::crying: thanks to not growing up in the UK.

I hardly recognise any of the programmes mentioned on this thread. We had but one channel, black and white, and only about an hour of childrens TV which started at 5 pm, the first broadcast of the day, with a local programme.

I do remember:

The Flintstones

Tom and Jerry

Road Runner

The Jetsons

and that's about it! :rolleyes:

K x

Just remembered some other cartoons I used to watch. I think this is getting us into the 90s:

Animals of Farthing Wood

The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest - Based on the following:

Darkwing Duck

- Recognise the characters but not the theme.

Aladdin

- Recognise the bird character not sure on others.

Pokemon - Afraid to say we have 84 DVDs of the Pokemon Series (6 seasons) plus 5 of the movies.

Futurama - Not sure what to make of this cartoon but then not overly keen on the Simpsons either.

Ones I don't recognise but my brother does.He sang along to most themes in both these sets.

Pirates of Dark Water

Sam and Max

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century - Can only find the ending.

Back to the Future

My brother also wants me to add:

Sonic Underground

Sonic X

Earthworm Jim

Gundam Wing

Digimon

Incase your wondering these many came from watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcKGcKW76M

There are a few on it that neither of us recognise. Not mentioned them as I assume they never played in the UK.

EDIT:

Forgot to add any others have mentioned:

Atom Ant

Deputy Dawg

And especially for Baddad:

The Singing Ringing Tree

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Pokemon - Afraid to say we have 84 DVDs of the Pokemon Series (6 seasons) plus 5 of the movies.

Really don't think you should have said that - I can imagine several members' kids (and members? :whistle:) coming round and bashing your door down demanding to watch Pokemon! :P:lol:

Really don't think you should have said that - I can imagine several members' kids (and members? :whistle:) coming round and bashing your door down demanding to watch Pokemon! :P:lol:

We have a lot of the original trading cards too (Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, Gym Heros) and most of the games (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Diamond, Pearl, Leaf Green, XD, Snap (both as an original N64 game and on Virtual Console), Colosseum, Stadium I & II and the trading card game - Not sure if I missed any out there. :rolleyes::huh: ).

EDIT: All the series disks are Region 4 as they have only been released in seasons in Australia. The come in a nice big DVD wallet with 14 disks a time.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Awwww, Tiny Toons .... Babs & Buster Bunny .... S & her little friend made cardboard bunny ears & used to wear them when watching it! :wub::robbie:

I've noticed that nearly all my memories of my children watching cartoons are of S - she was a telly addict from 18 months or so, couldnt say programmes used to call them "crobams" :wub:

JP got into tv much much later, he just used to watch Pingu & Thomas vids initially. Still likes stuff below his age.

Don't think I've ever put up the Thomas the Tank Intro. I used to enjoy watching it too. But then I was (and am interested in Steam Trains):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXqphJzIXA

As for been interested in stuff below your age I still like a lot of these old cartoons and have purchased a few recently (Ulysses 31, 1st Disk of The Dream Stone and Around the World with Willy Fog). So did one of my friends who was over earlier. He was going to order David the Gnome when he gets home. Also wants Animals of Farthing Wood but it isn't available. My bro also plans on replacing his Gummi Bear videos (him and mum cleared out our entire collection over the summer).

Other thing I meant to mention as there are MCoG fans here is that not only is the series coming to DVD (http://www.themysteriouscitiesofgold.com/mcog_dvd.htm) there is also a film in the works (http://movie-plus.com/projects/movie/gold.html).