Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Cinema Visit

We went to buy 2 new unlimited cards at cineworld and what a stress that was! The time we happened to arrive was around the same time as 4 films were starting. The cinema we go to is rather small in size so there were people everywhere. The guy who was going to sign us up for the cards was busy checking tickets so we had to wait around for 30mins. My gf told me that he said that someone was going to come down and see us, but he hadn't said that she had just presumed. By that point I was majorly stressing out with all the noise and flashing lights (they have a little arcade bit), and when I found that I kind of went a bit mad and kept repeating what she had told me, I didn't even realise I had repeated myself but according to gf I said the same thing about 20 times. She got really angry at my response, but I tried to explain to her that the place was stressing me out. By the end of it I was a stuttering mess, we never did see the film in the end. :unsure:

Any ideas on explaining to an NT partner when having difficulties?

:rolleyes:

OH would have sent me in advance to buy the passes, and I always book tickets in advance.

Or he would have said 'I'll wait outside then' and gone.

And I wouldn't have got cross, because that's how he is. He doesn't come to many films, because the sound is too loud, and there are very few films he wants to see, so I go to things I want to do on my own, and he doesn't haul me off to Monteverdi or 18th C operas. Hope your girl comes to appreciate that you are not doing this to annoy her.

:rolleyes:

OH would have sent me in advance to buy the passes, and I always book tickets in advance.

Or he would have said 'I'll wait outside then' and gone.

And I wouldn't have got cross, because that's how he is. He doesn't come to many films, because the sound is too loud, and there are very few films he wants to see, so I go to things I want to do on my own, and he doesn't haul me off to Monteverdi or 18th C operas. Hope your girl comes to appreciate that you are not doing this to annoy her.

Unfortunately I had to be there to get the unlimited cards as I had to fill in the forms and sign the direct debit mandate. I quite like going to the cinema at quiet times, we used to have unlimited cards a couple of years ago and would go see stuff we normally wouldn't see if we were paying full price. Gf just didn't think about the chaos it would be considering it was a saturday evening. :unsure:

i get the exact same problems at cinemas,shopping trips etc.ive found that planning in advance makes things a whole lot easier..just explain that if you are gonna do anything then it needs to be at a quieter time.

He doesn't come to many films, because the sound is too loud

So it's not just me that thinks that then? :unsure:

Sciencegeek - it would probably help you to understand yourself more before trying to get others to understand. I really recommend Olga Bogdashina's book, "Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome", and if you could get your gf to read it, so much the better.

So it's not just me that thinks that then? :unsure:

Sciencegeek - it would probably help you to understand yourself more before trying to get others to understand. I really recommend Olga Bogdashina's book, "Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome", and if you could get your gf to read it, so much the better.

Thanks will check it out.

Gf just didn't think about the chaos it would be considering it was a saturday evening. :unsure:

:rolleyes: She will next time, one meltdown is all it takes!

I think you behaved admirably under the circumstances. You weren't asked to leave, which has happened to B and me a couple of times when he's got stressed. You can take the forms out of the building and fill them in, then return. Planning in advance is the key, I think.