Bard

In the dark

Got no electricity at home, may need a rewire. :sick:

So it's going to be difficult to be online for a while, we haven't got a candle-powered computer.

Never mind. there are some things you can manage without electricity! :wine::eat:

Posting at work is hard, no time.

B LOVES it!

He's been using his headlamp to light his way, I didn't spot the cat in his room last night :shame:

We've got candles and lamps dotted around, so he's been fiddling with wax.

He is going to be disappointed when things are restored.

NT daughter and OH are sooo not happy. They have little eeyore clouds following them around from dead computer to silent TV to inert shower.

Not the pioneering sort really. :lol:

Going home now, night night!

Hope you get things sorted soon. It can be hard living without power but does make certain things fun. My rented house in Kenya had no power (or piped water for that matter). There is a certain joy in doing things by a pressure lamp. Not sure I could manage without it permanently and it was a joy to be back somewhere with power when I moved in with one of the other teachers from Lereshwa. (Though we still lacked piped water.) The organiser had never had that happen before. I literally was treated as part of the family. It is one of the reasons I now have such close ties with people in Kenya. That and I was on my own at the school so had to work closely with the Kenyans. Are you having to do all the cooking on a camp stove? I like roughing it for short periods. Guess that comes from being a scout. Once again hope it gets sorted soon. Glad your son at least is enjoying it. :)>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

So it's going to be difficult to be online for a while, we haven't got a candle-powered computer.

Sounds fun to me! I may come round and play!! :bounce: :bounce: I'll bring my head torch too :lol:

Have you tried a hamster powered computer? :unsure: And if you rig it up right, the cat fleeing from the 'Bard stomp' towards the hamster wheel at great speed should make Mr hamster run even faster and give you surplus energy to give back to the National Grid ... or not! :lol: :lol:

Have you tried a hamster powered computer? :unsure: And if you rig it up right, the cat fleeing from the 'Bard stomp' towards the hamster wheel at great speed should make Mr hamster run even faster and give you surplus energy to give back to the National Grid ... or not! :lol: :lol:

And a whole new vista of alternative energy sources opens before me!

We're all powered up, but until we trace the exact fault, I think this will keep happening. So candles, torches and florescent ducks to the fore.

Sounds like you could do with one (or more) of these to keep your NT Daugher and OH happy:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=...line-news_rss10

Hope they manage to track down the problem quickly for you.

DMB! Certainly not!

It will do my two moaning minnies no harm at all to manage without technology every now and then, or central heating.

They need to learn to count their blessings and develop a more robust attitude to problems, rather than sulking in the dark. OH and I both from a childhood without many of the things he regards as essential.

B and I have been enjoying ourselves hugely, and the grumpier they get, the more entertaining it is for us.

:devil:

We had a take-away today. Tomorrow, I might send them out as a hunter-gathering team.

And the food in my freezer has done more miles since I bought it than before. It's been to my mum's and back three times now, as this is the third mysterious power cut in 10 days. :ph34r:

DMB! Certainly not!

It will do my two moaning minnies no harm at all to manage without technology every now and then, or central heating.

They need to learn to count their blessings and develop a more robust attitude to problems, rather than sulking in the dark. OH and I both from a childhood without many of the things he regards as essential.

B and I have been enjoying ourselves hugely, and the grumpier they get, the more entertaining it is for us.

:devil:

What planning a survival camp for the summer I hear to toughen them up?! ;) I must admit it was quite nice in Kenya as I had to do different things as I didn't have a computer vo spend way too much time on. Things like on a whim deciding to cycle to Nakuru. I was only meant to be going to the prehistoric site which is close to Gilgil. Got rather a reputation for myself while I was out there. Judging by my trip last summer they've still not got over the fact I used to cycle into town with Ihogo on the back. Never felt safe when he was cycling. I didn't care that I didn't fit the mold of what they thought white men do. Miss it already. I need to visit again soon. Could do with out pits with concrete over the top as toilets though.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I must admit it was quite nice in Kenya.

I need to visit again soon.

I'd wait a bit if I were you. :unsure: How are your friends managing at the moment?

Are they Kikuyu or Luo or other?

Hopefully the violence will turn to argument soon.

I'd wait a bit if I were you. :unsure: How are your friends managing at the moment?

Are they Kikuyu or Luo or other?

Hopefully the violence will turn to argument soon.

They are mainly Kikuyu. Last I heard from them (about a week ago) they are all well. Most of them are a long way from where the problems have been. One of them is annoyed such problems can still occur in Kenya but other than that it hasn't affected them. One friend who is none Kikuyu works in Nairobi (for the ministry of education) and only recently returned vo work. Before that her and her partner had stayed in home at Embu. One person I know was io Nairobi whilst there were problems but she also managed vo avoid it all. Had a fairly long phone conversation with her the other day. All in all luckily no one I know seems vo have been directly affected. Not sure where the organiser of the scheme I went out with presently is. He is one of the few people I know out there I haven't heard from. I can't afford to go out at the precise moment. I'm sure things will have calmed down by the point I can afford it.