Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

Snails ........... at it again!!

Now one of Jay's OTHER snails has laid loads of eggs!! I wouldn't mind but we've had him/her for over a month now and it's the only one of it's kind in the tank, how the heck did it manage it!!?? :o He/she (it's called Gary, after the snail in Spongebob) is all lovely and stripey and pretty, hope babies are the same.

Fish don't seem to have shown any interest in eating the eggs yet. Wish us luck! It's like a flipping nursery over at our tank! :thumbs::wacko:

~ Mel ~

I don't feed them, they just slither along scraping algae off the various surfaces ............. you could try it, I guess! :sick:

~ Mel ~

:lol::lol:

are these cold water snails? was maybe going to get one but now i am not so sure.

By the way how long are snails pregnant for? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought a hamster once. It was a female however the pet shop had it in the males cage. Didn't not anything of it until came downstairs one morning and there were about 8 baby hamsters. Phoned pet shop and they said they would take the babies.

However, mummy hamster decided to eat the babies and I was left with 2 babies which were alive. Decided to keep the survivors. Snails don't do that - do they? :huh::huh:

I like your snail thread by the way. M has got a goldfish called Gary and I kept wondering where he got that name from as

we don't know any Garys..........

forbsay

:lol::lol:

are these cold water snails? was maybe going to get one but now i am not so sure.

Yep, we have four trapdoor snails (including two new babies), an apple snail and a Columbian Ramshorn (that's Gary, or should that be Garrette!). They are lovely and no trouble, very interesting to watch.

By the way how long are snails pregnant for? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Haha, who knows! Apparently, the Ramshorns mate and then can just carry on spawning eggs without having to keep doing it again and again, hence the reason we've had her for about six weeks and she's laid eggs with no boyfriend at hand .......... or should that be foot!

Gross about your hamster. :sick: I'm pretty sure the fish will eat the tiny babies if and when they hatch, as they'll be just the right size. The trapdoors laid fully-formed young which were too big to fit in their gobs, so they were safe.

~ Mel ~

Where did you get your snails about?

We got two on Ebay and the apple snail and the Ramshorn at the local aquarium fishy-type shop, namely our second home!

~ Mel ~

Didn't know that you could get snails on Ebay - mind you, you can buy everything else there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hehe, yep, they came in a little plastic tube! Weirdest postal delivery I've ever had! Think they call it 'snail mail' :lol:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

I have just done a search on ebay for snails - got 177 items.

Sorry about all the snail questions :rolleyes::rolleyes: . what do they do in the tank? - (apart from making snail babies that is) :devil::devil: do they just climb on the plants and slither up the tank walls?

I want a snail........ ( I think)

forbsay

Edited by forbsay

Hehe, yep, they came in a little plastic tube! Weirdest postal delivery I've ever had! Think they call it 'snail mail' :lol:

~ Mel ~

grooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn :D

I have just done a search on ebay for snails - got 177 items.

Sorry about all the snail questions :rolleyes::rolleyes: . what do they do in the tank? - (apart from making snail babies that is) :devil::devil: do they just climb on the plants and slither up the tank walls?

I want a snail........ ( I think)

forbsay

Yep, there are loads, aren't there. :P

They just slither around really eating all the algae that accumulates on the glass and ornaments and stuff. You can get really good views of their underneath sides as they're slithering up the glass and you can see their little teeth gnawing at the algae. They leave little tooth print patterns in the algae as they go. They're very interesting and quite entertaining actually, believe it or not! :lol:

~ Mel ~

My little girl loves snails in the garden.

I told her that we would get a snail for the fish tank and she asked if snails could swim. She is going to call the snail Rosie :wub::wub::wub:

My little girl loves snails in the garden.

I told her that we would get a snail for the fish tank and she asked if snails could swim. She is going to call the snail Rosie :wub::wub::wub:

Aw, bless. :wub: Some snails have a little tube thing that they use to suck air from the surface. They crawl slowly up the glass and as they near the top they start to extend this tube, up and up and up it goes, like a periscope until it breaks the surface and then they suck air in, you can see their little heads pumping in and out to suck the air. It's very weird. The trapdoors don't need to come up for air at all though.

When we first got the surface breathing onces, Jay used to get all panicky and think they were going to drown, especially if they went in the ship or something. He thought they wouldn't be able to get up for air in time before they drowned and he used to keep fishing them out and suctioning them to the top of the water level to help them breathe! :lol: He's calmed down a lot now, though. After all, we've had them about six weeks and they're still alive! :wub:

~ Mel ~