ScienceGeek

Obsessive?

My girlfriend keeps saying to me that I'm obsessive and anal about lots of things. In particular I'm thinking about organisation of stuff, my clothes drawers are arranged in colours with most frequently worn at the top. My wardrobe is arranged smart shirts, trousers, casual trousers, shirts, jumpers, coats and arranged by colours as well. Dressing table is deodrants arranged by type and full ones at the back most used ones at the front, aftershave is arranged by size of bottle. Underwear drawer sectioned off into socks, pants and vests in the different sections also arranged by colour (well colour mostly grey, blue, white and black). Clothes are folded up on a chair the night before and piled in order that I put them on.

I have to eat my food in a certain order once I've started a particular thing I must finish all of it before moving on to something else.. Say there is meat, potatoes and mixed vegetables on the plate, I'll start with carrots, peas then sweetcorn, first separating the different vegetables on the plate. My gf isn't the only one to have commented on it, friends as well... Is it really that obsessive? :whistle:

I just say that is wonderfully tidy, wish my boys were like that !

As for eating, DS does that too, as for obsessive, nah just different and each to their own I say.

:thumbs: Clare x x x

I do all of those, exactly the same. To me it's common sense. No one, not even your gf, has the right to pass judgement. These behaviours affect no one apart from yourself. If they have a problem with it, then that's something they need to sort out for themselves.

Ah I'll tell you what is obsessive.....me I can't leave the forum till I have read all posts since my last visit and people keep posting so I can't get off and I have a 101 things to do aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Clare x x x

I can totally relate to all of it! It's wonderfully organised and can be really useful (it goes down well at work "wondeful organisational skills"), but it can get stressful as well. I get stressed if things are out of alignment, my eyes keep being drawn to it and I fight to keep my hands from sorting it. After DH has been to the supermarket, I have to sort the cupboards so that tins are lined up with labels facing out according to type, etc. I do the clothes thing too at night :rolleyes: .

I'm not as bad as I used to be due to the combination of the kids and work.

It's definately something I have passed down to R - he does it with toys, sweets, cards, etc. C on the other hand, is a flurry of chaos and wouldn't know an organisational skill if he met one in his soup!

Clare - I do that too :lol:

Sounds very organised to me! I wish my boys would organise themselves as well! I agree with Mumble totally and Clare - I think I may have a problem with checking posts too LOL!!! Trouble is kids keep interupting me (most inconsiderate IMO!! ;) )

Trust me, I check this forum way too often! I'm currently sitting in the bath with the laptop on a chair next to it checking messages. I normally have 3 tabs open in firefox, this forum, facebook and livejournal. I have a badge that says must.... refresh... friends.... page.... :lol: :lol:

Yes, they are all obsessive traits. I think the word "obsessive" is normally used as a criticism, but I don't see anything wrong with any of those things. They are routines that make you feel comfortable. If you started saying that your girlfriend had to organise her wardrobe according to colour or that she had to put your clothes away like that, that would be unreasonable.

Next time she says it, you could ask her if it causes her a problem. If it does, then maybe you both need to look for some middle ground.

You sound a lot like mr p, SG & we have just celebrated 30 infuriating glorious years together! We figure that if we lived apart, he would live in a kind of David Beckham (but much poorer) world of rugs hoovered in stripes, cans lined up label forward & NEVER odd numbers in fridge, etc etc.

I, on the other hand, would be like one of those peeps you see on Life of Grime, who have filled up their houses with 30 years worth of newspapers, & just have a little tunnel left to negotiate through the rooms, & a wee corner of what might be a sofa to sleep on. So we complement each other perfectly! We have a generally clean tidy house with little pools of chaos here & there.

Living together is about accepting each others irritating habits with occasional negotiation over the deal-breakers. F'rinstance, he no longer turns the TV off when he goes to bed before me without first asking if I'm still watching the programme! He has learned to ignore my little "to do" heaps dotted round the house.

And I do the post checking thing too :D

NEVER odd numbers in fridge

You do know that the magnetic numbers are supposed to go on the outside of the fridge?

You sound a lot like mr p, SG & we have just celebrated 30 infuriating glorious years together! We figure that if we lived apart, he would live in a kind of David Beckham (but much poorer) world of rugs hoovered in stripes, cans lined up label forward & NEVER odd numbers in fridge, etc etc.

Living together is about accepting each others irritating habits with occasional negotiation over the deal-breakers. F'rinstance, he no longer turns the TV off when he goes to bed before me without first asking if I'm still watching the programme! He has learned to ignore my little "to do" heaps dotted round the house.

HAHAHAHA Pearl, you and my mum would get on like a house on fire, she says exactly the same things about my dad! (Except that my dad also rotates the cans, so that the longest dates are nearest the back.)

HAHAHAHA Pearl, you and my mum would get on like a house on fire, she says exactly the same things about my dad! (Except that my dad also rotates the cans, so that the longest dates are nearest the back.)

Can rotation is vital! Fridge rotation even more so. :D

Top marks to Tally's dad.

But that is just common sense! It must do, they do it in shops afterall.

>:D<<'> , I love organisation,........I,m just the same.......for me everything has to be visually correct too, so no stuff left out, no shoes on the floor.........cushions in a neat row............the worse thing for me is an un made bed...that totally does my head in :wallbash: .Just a thought Science geek...........how many deodorants do you have!!!...........I,d down size the collection if I were you, one or two are enough.But then I am a minimalist type :rolleyes: ................can,t stand tooo tooo much of anything.I think your organising is perfect...you know where everything is and where to find it PERFECT! :thumbs:

>:D<<'> , I love organisation,........I,m just the same.......for me everything has to be visually correct too, so no stuff left out, no shoes on the floor.........cushions in a neat row............the worse thing for me is an un made bed...that totally does my head in :wallbash: .Just a thought Science geek...........how many deodorants do you have!!!...........I,d down size the collection if I were you, one or two are enough.But then I am a minimalist type :rolleyes: ................can,t stand tooo tooo much of anything.I think your organising is perfect...you know where everything is and where to find it PERFECT! :thumbs:

Well I have three different lynx ones in both normal and anti-perspirant, I also have 5 different bottles of aftershave sized from large to really small. I keep getting them in sets on birthday and hanukkah.

I think everyone is like this to a certain extent. I eat all my veggies first and I don't start eating anything else until every pea and piece of corn and carrot is gone, but so what, it doesn't affect anyone else so who cares. :whistle:

~ Mel ~