Sign in to follow this  
kellyanne

sensory rooms

.......................don't know where to start!!!

Hi all

I am wanting to make a sensory room for my son and after talking to bid it seems that there are some threads on here about them.

However as we are really pants at using the search mode, we can't seem to find them. Any help in pointing us in the right direction would be brilliant.

Thankyou in advance

KA x x x

Lovely idea :thumbs: .

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, really. We have a sensory room at school (or snoezelin), and all the products are from Rompa. Fantastic quality and some wonderful things available.... but very, very expensive.

It is possible to get light/aroma/tactile items much cheaper from high street stores.

What kind of budget were you thinking of?

It's prob gonna be more highstreet stores than the expensive ones to be honest. I'm hoping the room we're thinking of using is gonna be big enough

Size doesn't really matter. The snoezelin at school is a converted store cupboard. Some people have made them in the understairs cupboard at home. So having a window isn't even vital - the darker the better really.

High street stores:

Look for mood-lighting, or nursery lighting - lights that cast patterns around the room, or fibre optics, lava lamps, even fairy lights and rope lights are good (so long as they're not the rapid flashing ones).

A CD player, and some nice classical tracks, or story tapes.

Aromatherapy oils from a health-store (different kinds depending on whether you're going for relaxation or stimulation)- can be used in hand/foot massage or placed in a burner. Even scented candles can do the trick.

Carpet/tile/lino samples on the floor - different textures. Bubble wrap, sand paper, pebbles, rope - little bits pasted onto a board for tactile input.

Bubble machines.

Cushions and bean bags, with different kinds of covers - silky, furry, leather, etc.

You can get really creative and you don't have to spend a fortune. It can be good fun too.

Hope this is of some help... good luck with it. I'm sure others will have some good ideas to share as there are lots of different options.

i had a sensory room(ok walk in wardrobe)in my old house.it was only 5ft by 4ft.it had cusions,bubbler lamp,small tropical fish tank etc.flynn loved it.i got most of the stuff from argos.im planning to do a sensory room for my new house under the stairs.im gonna put in for a community care grant to fund it.

Hi

I've purchased quite a few items in an attempt to create a sensory-type of room for my 6 year old AS son, which he really likes.

Two items in particular seem to have a calming effect on him and those are:

- large plasma ball light which reacts to touch and sound (around �49.99 for large one, but smaller ones are available)

- A projector which projects moving clouds and stars (shooting stars too!) on any surface in a darkened room (around �99)

The projector is fantastic. I saw in on a website and thought it sounded great, but in honestly for the price, I half expected to be disappointed. When it arrived, it was easy to set up - just plug it in!) and within 2 minutes I had clouds and stars all over my ceiling. I was amazed by how realistic and 3-dimensional it looks. Really impressed by it (my son is too!).

If you want to PM me I'll give you the specific name of the product (not sure if I'm allowed to give specific name of product?).

Regards

Caroline.

Hi

I've purchased quite a few items in an attempt to create a sensory-type of room for my 6 year old AS son, which he really likes.

- large plasma ball light which reacts to touch and sound (around �49.99 for large one, but smaller ones are available)

- A projector which projects moving clouds and stars (shooting stars too!) on any surface in a darkened room (around �99)

The projector is fantastic. I saw in on a website and thought it sounded great, but in honestly for the price, I half expected to be disappointed. When it arrived, it was easy to set up - just plug it in!) and within 2 minutes I had clouds and stars all over my ceiling. I was amazed by how realistic and 3-dimensional it looks. Really impressed by it (my son is too!).

If you want to PM me I'll give you the specific name of the product (not sure if I'm allowed to give specific name of product?).

Regards

Caroline.

can you pm the name of it to me too?

i had a sensory room(ok walk in wardrobe)in my old house.it was only 5ft by 4ft.it had cusions,bubbler lamp,small tropical fish tank etc.flynn loved it.i got most of the stuff from argos.im planning to do a sensory room for my new house under the stairs.im gonna put in for a community care grant to fund it.

Our room that we're thinking of using is probably not much bigger than that tobe honest.

how do you go aboutapplying for a community grant is it through your local council,

Kellyanne's gonna foster me when she's made her sensory room :clap::devil:

Bid :D

:lol: :lol: you wish :devil:

You would be welcome to use our sensory room whenever you wish

:thumbs::clap:

Edited by kellyanne

took J to the dark sensory room at work today and he absolutely loved it, so i am now more determined to make him one here at home.

KA x x

Aaahhh...brilliant! :thumbs:

Bid :)

T'was good but just as we went to have a look D C-S was about to go in so we couldn't really stay and get the full effect :(

ive been thinking for a while about doing sensory room for my son - we have quite a big cuboard under the stairs (full of junk) i really need to sort it out and et going!

I'm really lurving the projector thingy...do you fancy something similar, or are they v.expensive?

Bid

we all really loved the projector, but, they cost about �99 not quite sure how much of a budget we've got yet

Brooke: the cupboard we are going to use is also full of junk which DH keeps saying he's gonna sort out, so I'm hoping that now we actually have a purpose for the room he MAY just get his fnger out !! :lol:

KA x x

:( went to housing association today to find out how i go about getting some electrical points put in the cupboard, and I've been told that they won't do it I need to get an electrician to do it. Fair enough!!. Also I need to have planning permission to make my room :unsure: now I didn't think you needed to have planning permission to add a few lights and some soothing music to a room :unsure:

If I were doing this in, say, J's bedroom then surely I wouln't need to have planning permission.

My little bubble of excitement has burst slightly :(

Have you got a garden?

Would it be big enough for a shed?

Sheds are great for a sensory room, J has a hobby shed that is kitted out with bunk beds, desk and we have a extension lead with a safety cut out, but when its up and running its a great place, this year we havent been as lucky with the rain/flooding so most of his sensory items are in his bedroom.

we did look into placing electric points in his shed and came up against things such as planning permission and the cost was over 4 hundreds pounds, we are still going to do it as the electriction takes care of the planning permission but we wanted to wait to see how our area is for flooding as its happened twice in 6 months.

If your answer is yes you have a garden and yes your garden is big enough then you could apply to the family fund for a shed and explain the use.

In the summer I put in a little tv and ps2 and he has his friend round and they play and sleep in it.

I have applied also to the Housing association for a larger property, to instal a safe room but these safe rooms are 4 grand so a bit more than 4 hundred.

Good luck to finding that spark again its not the end just yet, we will get you that sensory room.

JsMum

thanks JsMum.

We do have a garden and although it is a fair enough size, it's not really big enough to have shed. The place where I would say is remotely big enough has an 8ft trampoline there. I do like the sound of the shed though. I'm gonna ring the Housing associaion again and explain agian what we are wanting to do because I don't think the guy that I spoke to fully understood, (he was from repairs Dept).

Hi

Regards

Caroline.

Hi Caroline I was inspired to look at the projector and I think its a great idea, had a look on a website and just ordered one for under �99 with free delivery, if anyone want the link just pm me, cant wait for it to come, Iv used Js DLA I know this will be worth it so thanks for the suggestion.

JsMum

thanks JsMum.

We do have a garden and although it is a fair enough size, it's not really big enough to have shed. The place where I would say is remotely big enough has an 8ft trampoline there. I do like the sound of the shed though. I'm gonna ring the Housing associaion again and explain agian what we are wanting to do because I don't think the guy that I spoke to fully understood, (he was from repairs Dept).

Hi sorry to hear that you have no space but the trampoline is a must so understand that one too, I did have to get permission from my housing association for the work to be done, then when the guy came round to do some repairs he has offered to do it as a private contract but its still too expensive, hence we have the exstention lead.

JsMum

Hi sorry to hear that you have no space but the trampoline is a must so understand that one too, I did have to get permission from my housing association for the work to be done, then when the guy came round to do some repairs he has offered to do it as a private contract but its still too expensive, hence we have the exstention lead.

JsMum

i have emailed the area officer and asked her for a reply back asap!!!! if it comes to it then i'll do it without permission the mood i'm in now. It just gets me that I want to do this properly which is why i asked what we have to do....but if i went and made it J's room then there is nothing they could do about it. even if i just went ahead and made it in the little room-ish, they wouldn't know it's not like they would come round and inspect the house and i don't plan on moving from here as its a really big house. it's taken us long enough to get a house and the one we wanted.

Just another battle i have to contend with in order to get what i want for my child GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

hello,

Ok firstly the council are still dragging their heels!!!!

Secondly I don't think I actually need their help anymore anyway as DH has emptied the cupboard (and it seems a lot smaller than I had Imagined it), anyhow, now that it is empty there is a double plug socket in there :thumbs::thumbs: that we hadn't seen before. So now it is all systems go with getting it ready. :dance:

KA x x

Hi Caroline I was inspired to look at the projector and I think its a great idea, had a look on a website and just ordered one for under �99 with free delivery, if anyone want the link just pm me, cant wait for it to come, Iv used Js DLA I know this will be worth it so thanks for the suggestion.

JsMum

Hi

Really hope you like it as much as my son and I do - let us know what you think.

Caroline.

Hi

Really hope you like it as much as my son and I do - let us know what you think.

Caroline.

I think its amazing but after a while I start to feel a bit strange, I dont know I cant get the stars out my eyes, even when I have left the room, I know I am sensitive to flashes and I cant stand bright sun light, so maybe its just the way I react to certain lighting, but J loves it, its very romantic and effective and its defo worth the money.

JsMum

A little update on the room...

The area officer has just been round and looked at the room and she doesn't seem to think that there will be a problem getting permission. She is going to email me, she said, hopefully by the end of the day!! So now all I have to do is wait and constantly check my email :lol: :lol: