Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

CBT Group Therapy

My counsellor rang me and has referred me to join a CBT therapy group, which starts this Thursday!! :o It runs for two hours, once weekly for seven weeks and is supposed to help the group find ways of thinking more positively and coping with depression.

I'm quite nervous but said I'd go. I was sure it wouldn't be at a time I could make, but, funnily enough it's perfect. I take Jay in to school at 9.30 on that day and I'm back in my home town at 10ish, which is when it starts, so it seems a bit like fate really! Also, I didn't even know it was going to be in my home town, as counsellor thought it was right across the other side of Oxford so I was well surprised!

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes. :blink:

Has anyone else done this kind of thing?

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

Hi Oxgirl

CBT takes time to influence thoughts and behaviour and so have an open mind and don't expect too much too soon. Not sure about group work but it should allow you to think things over in detail.

A way of explaining it is that if your thoughts and life is like a jigsaw that isn't complete then CBT should allow it to go back and be more of a complete picture. I found it helped me understand myself, how I react to situations, not to pre-judge and also I understood more about my past and how it affected my thought processes.

Its also self-indulgent which can be nice. I now understand myself and how certain events in my life affected me and I now feel more in tune and better able to cope. I guess its difficult to understand how just talking can achieve all this but it does!

Edited by Kinda

Good luck!

CBT is meant to challenge the way you think and your negative assumptions. It normally involves discussing your thoughts and feelings around certain situations. Obviously that is not going to be possible in a group, so it might be quite general, or a basic introduction to things you can do for yourself.

Sounds like it could be a good thing though, and it might also be nice to meet other people who are having similar problems.

Ah Mel, yes it does sound like fate ! maybe this is just the thing you have been waiting for. Keep an open mind and enjoy, its two hours for you.

Fingers crossed that its better than the counselling.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x