Sign in to follow this  
SSK

New statement for secondary school

Hi

I have just received DS new statement for secondary school. It gives him full time 1:1 support, access to laptop for recording work, someone to meet him at school gate and take him to his form room, a part in it to say he should have access to a mentor, and a bit specifying that the school is to protect him from teasing and bullying. Not found out which school he has been allocated yet, but have been told it is one of my top 2 choices, but that it will be specified on his agreed statement.

I am really pleased with it, there is also a part that says that he will be introduced to secondary school using the ADS toolkit. Does anyone know what this is?

Hi SSK,

That sounds really good, just like the kind of statement I would like for DS, but we are still in the process.

Sorry can't advise on ADS tookit.

But an encouraging thread.

Clare x x x

Hi SSK,

That's really great news! :thumbs: I hope all the support is put in place smoothly and that it helps your son to settle in and cope well with secondary school.

K x

Thank you, to be fair to the LEA and school have been great since M was diagnosed, only had probs with one teacher after being told I needed to control my son, as they had other children to teach. Have had some very disapointing sencos though at some of the protential schools we have visited, that didnt have much of a clue.

Hi

We used the toolkit for OJ when he was at the end of year 6, recommended by the outreach worker. It is lovely and so easy to put together. oJ went for a day at secondary school in summer term of year 6, took his camera and was able to take pics of differnt buildings, teachers to build up a visual map in the booklet.

You can download it (not the teachers one but I can't remember the address) its about 25 pages but well worth it.

Stella xx

Thanks for that, I may phone the statementing officer and ask if they can send me more info. Both of the schools I have chosen mentioned M coming in before school starts and getting the feel of things. The photo bit sounds great cos then he can look at things again to remember them.

Hi

Found it!!!

www.autismtoolkit.com

Sorry, can't do those auto thingys - you enter the site and download the pupil transition bit.

Good luck!!!

Stella xx