Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Things taking a turn...

Well, it seems like things are taking a turn for Louis in school.

He started in his Special School in September 2006. For the last year, everything seemed to be hunkey-dory for him there. Teachers were happy, Louis was happy, we were happy in that Louis was actually in A school (even if it wasn't quite the one we wanted him in).

This year, things seem to be starting to take a bit of a turn. When I had his IEP review before Christmas with his teacher, she was saying about how he was now starting to talk in class, answer questions etc. In his resi. home, they were saying how good he was.

We are now a few weeks after Christmas. Louis has started to say to us that he doesn't want to go to school. He says to us that he has other children 'not being nice to me', 'calling me bad names'. Well, I mentioned this to his resi home, who said that he had started saying the same thing there! His behaviour at home has taken a turn for the worse in the last few weeks, and as his resi. home follow through with work on his behaviours at home, he has had a few weeks there where they have had lots of tears from him. He also says that the work is too hard, that he can't do it.

The resi unit have admitted to me that Louis has 'limited speech in which to describe how he's feeling', 'he is apt at telling you what he thinks you want to hear and not what he really thinks' - this is true, somehow, Louis has the ability to know what answer you are expecting from him - a question he was asked recently - 'What do you want for your birthday Louis?' - answer? 'For my brothers to be happy, and for no fighting in the world.' (this was after a day where he had hurt one of his brothers)

They may only be little things, but he is taking a similar path to that he did at mainstream school - he was generally ok during Year R. During Yr 1 things started to go downhill. End of Year 1 he'd had several exclusions, beginning of Yr 2, he was permanently excluded.

This school, first year of being there, everything was generally hunky dory, second year, he is starting to have problems.

He is having a week this week, where he is having somebody keeping an eye out on him, after resi. stepped in and spoke with school about how Louis is feeling and coping in school/resi/home. I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

I wonder if his headteacher still thinks he shouldn't be there...