Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

What I feel like when I get sensory overload

Everything feels very loud, colours are very vivid like a shimmer around everything different colours all meshing together. My brain is tingly at the back of my head like it is fizzing, like an alka seltzer has been thrown in there. There is so much going on around and nothing to concentrate on so that I don't get drowned and disappear in everything that is going on. A concerned person touches me on the shoulder to see what the matter is but it felt like they hit me really hard, and I swing around and shout at them to try to get my voice over all the noise. My senses feel like they are being invaded and the fizzing marches forward until my whole brain is fizzing and I need to curl up in a ball and cover myself in a coat to block out the light and sound.

That is a pretty typical situation for me, especially either on the train to uni or in the uni canteen. Which seem to be the worst for me. Wanted to get it out of my brain so I stopped thinking about it. I tend to over analyse things and it would just be going round and round in my head otherwise.

Hi SG

You described perfectly what I see happen to my son if his thought pattern is interrupted while he is concentrating on something on his computer - he finds interruptions bad - unable to multi task. I can tell by his body language - enter at own risk :lol::( but if he does throw a wobbly within minutes he comes and gives me a hug and says sorry. I/we know he can't help it.

I wanted to say I was reading at length this topic and there is a link posted in Post no. 5 by Rainbow Queen. Please have a read and tell me what you think. I will point out what intrigued me

- the bit about the blood vessels, made me think - it makes sense, is this what physiologically happens prior to a meltdown?????

-If yes, that drink of epsom water sounds highly appealing or the bicarb bath - then I thought would drinking 'soda water' do the same thing.

I am thinking of trying this for my son. Nothing could hurt.....! It would be interesting to see if it relieved stress and build up to overload/meltdown. It makes sense !! - Blood carries oxygen to the brain, but as blood constricts I imagine less oxygen and low blood pressure equals - meltdown or for NT's a migraine.

Here is the topic see the link in RQ's post no.5

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=13522

Worth a try???

:unsure:

Fran