Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Youngest age for assessment?

I have just read on another thread (westie's re. IEP's) that assessments do not go lower than what is expected of a 6yr old. Is this right? If so, that would explain why Louis's reports state that he has had a reading, writing and maths age of 6.0, 6.4, and 6.0 for the last 2 years (at least). Also, if this is right, how are you supposed to know that your child is progressing if all assessments say they are at 6.0 when, in fact, they are probably performing at less than that?

My 6yr old had an assessment of the year 1 key words before half term. Out of 75 words, he got 72 right.

Louis asked if he could do them. He managed to sit still long enough to do 30 of the words :thumbs: (before storming off because he couldn't sit still no longer and knew he couldn't right the word 'there'). Of them 30 words, he only got half right.

Also, something to come out of his annual review is that Louis now knows his 2 times tables, and needs to start learning his 3 times tables. It appears that he only knows the 2 times tables by rote (i,e, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc) As soon as you put the 1x2=2 in, or take them out of sequence, he hasn't a clue. But according to his teacher/deputy head teacher/annual review report, he 'knows' his 2 times tables.

I will try and find out what the tests were actually called so I can tell you. I know for sure that the report said that she scored 6yrs and this was lowest they could rate.....

Do not have copy with me to check so will post on this thread asap!