anita81

parents evening

Flynn's parents evening was last night and from what i can make out hes doing really well.Hes only in reception class and already knows all of the words he has to learn for the year as well as all of year 1 and year 2s words that they have to learn for the year.He is really good with his numbers too and has settled in really well since September.The only thing he is struggling with is his pencil control.His teachers say he has week fingers that need strengthening.She suggested play dough but he really doesn't like getting his hands dirty.Does anyone know of any stress balls that arnt too hard or too soft?Also for the last month Flynn hasn't been getting any homework where as the other kids are.My impression is that because he is doing all of his work well at school they dont feel the need to give him homework.If this is the case then can i ask for him to still get homework?I dont know if this is the case and dont really know how to bring it up with his teacher for fear of being seen as big headed. :unsure:

I hesitate to say this, because it's death on carpets but...blu tac.

B loves the stuff, keeps your fingers clean and allows for all the flexing and manipulation of fingers and stuff.

Plus you can make all sorts of things with it.

Why bother with homework? Do things with him instead. Cookery is science, as is playing in the bath.

Building and making things, lego and construction toys in general.

Knex will help with the fingers as well...I can think of a hundred things I'd rather do than homework. :D

I get children to use ordinary washing pegs- getting them to peg things to a line. The pressure they use to open it helps strengthen their fingers. A good game is to see how many pegs they can put on to something in say 30 secs. See if they can get faster or play against someone.

I agree with what other people have said about homework; if he's ahead he's doing really well - daily reading is great homework. It helps them and it's enjoyable.

Well done to him & good luck

AV

being some one who has hypermobility syndrome just a word of caution...be very careful about giving your child something that may feel soft to exercise the fingers with as if they are hypermobile it can cause severe damage to the joints later in life. Koosh balls are extremely pliable so won't do this.