flipper

*Sigh* Quantifying support...

No surprise, but despite repeated readings of C's proposed statement we can't find anything actually quantified - certainly no "hours" and no 1:1 support.

The only thing quantified is "up to" 10 Speech Therapy sessions - which might not even be actual therapy but monitoring!

I've downloaded the Afasic guide and the ACE guide and they are helpful, but having never actually seen a "proper" statement it's difficult to be really sure what's missing and what we need to ask.

We've asked for a meeting, but she called today indicating that requesting a meeting is delaying the final statement which she "really ought to be issuing very soon" according to the guidelines... I'm sure this was just a none to subtle attempt to sway us into an easy acceptance (and we should be grateful we're getting a statement at all, eh?)

If anyone can share similar tales/advice we'd love to hear it...

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

No surprises, as you say, and this particular LEA are trying hard not to issue statements at all, let alone quantified ones, so yes you should just be grateful and thank the nice LEA lady. :wacko::wallbash:

"Up to" is one of those weasly phrases that guarantees nothing - can mean any number of sessions from 1 - 10 in practice. What you need there is a specified minimum, and as you've spotted, the amount of direct therapy vs time for report writing, training etc. needs to be clarified.

It would be a good idea to call IPSEA advice line or NAS education advocacy: both will go through the statement with you and give you good advice on the wording and where it should be tightened up.

A meeting, which is your right to request so they should NOT be trying to put you off, might get some of the changes you want, but if you're still unhappy with it, you can let the final statement be issued and then appeal. My guess that you will have to put the pressure on to get the 1 - 1 support quantified.

K x

She is telling you rubbish. You need to arrange a meeting to discuss the statement asap and take someone with you

. I personally would ask her to email you a copy, it means its on your comp and you can go through it(retain a copy) and edit it with the things you want . It saves a lot of time and means you can email people for advice so its quicker.

Get her to do this today and then ring ipsea.