Sign in to follow this  
nix

school admissions

Hi there everyone could anyone give me any advice please.

My son AS aged 11 has been attending his primary school since he was 3 years old. We live in Bradford but he goes to a Leeds school.

I put the name down for the feeder secondary school for his first choice then named two other schools of my choice (just a formality). Anyway they have given the nearest school to where we live and none of my choices which is a total disaster as he needs to be with the few friends he has made and the transition is going to be hard enough as it is never mind changing to a school where he knows no one or never visited.

I have been told there are no places in my school of choice and that the school given is the nearest school that can meet his needs which it is quite clearly not.

On the admissions criteria it said sen (he is school action plus) comes first and did not mention anything about a statement which if I knew I would have applied for as i sucessfully was awarded one for my younger son who attends the same primary school.

I am going to appeal but has anyone got any advice and what chance do you think we have got ? My son will not be able to cope at this other school at all.

Thankyou. >:D<<'>

you have the right to appeal, get as much evidence together as you can and get advice from your local parent partnership.

Usually when they say SEN as priority is does mean children with statements but you need to put it to the appeals committee that because of his SEN this school best fits his needs

Our LEA has children with Statements or Looked after children as first priority, then it has children who have a special reason (medical, SEN, etc) that means they need to go to this school.

Check the admissions criteria. If it was not clear that SA+ would not be in the SEN category, then put that as part of your appeal.

Then pick out everything possible about your chosen school vs the offered school. Go through the Ofsted, School Profile, visit and talk to the SENCO, etc.

Ring your chosen school and put your son's name on the waiting list. Ask how many other children are on it that have a higher priority than your son.

Do Leeds and Bradford come under the same LA?