rocketgob

DLA award question

Hiya all

My son is 3 and has HFA and I have found out today that he has been awarded the high rate care amount but no mobility. I understand that generally mobility is not awarded to under 5's so I wasn't expecting it but the woman said that they do pay for 3 and over sometimes. Do you think it is worth appealling the decision or not?

Sarah x

Hi

I get the high rate care for my 6 year old (we've been in receipt of DLA for 1.5 years), but nothing for mobility. I was advised by someone at NAS that there was a danger if I appealed that I may well end up with mobility (at some level) but drop in care component. I therefore haven't appealed. Not sure what to advise. I'll be watching this with interest.

Caroline.

Yes there is always the threat of loosing money.

Getting DLA for a 3 year is incredibly difficult and proving that your son has more problems in regards to mobility is even more difficult, unless he is wheelchair bound, as they will expect him to be in buggy any way for one thing. For example my son needs to hold my hand all the time he is out for his safety and it makes him feel secure, however up until last year that was considered normal for a child of his age. He is nearly 12 now!

Personally I would leave an appeal until he is older. You can always write later to say his needs have changed whilst you are still receiving an award.

My son now gets low rate mobility and middle rate care, which I think is pitched right for him at present. The middle rate care is enough for him to receive a free bus pass and other concession.

Thank you for your replies to this - you have both said pretty much what I thought about the care component being reduced. I am totally stunned tbh - I wasn't honestly expecting him to get it but thanks to all your helpful info on here I have managed it and its only been 4 weeks since the form was posted!!! My husband's took 15 weeks!!

You can get higher mobility at three years of age, but due to your son being high functioning - I do not think he would qualify. If I remember rightly, your child has to have a severe mental impairment, has challenging behaviour and in reciept of the higher level care component. Due to your son being high functioning, his mental impairment would probably not been seen to be severe enough. At the age of 5, he should be able to receive lower rate mobility - if he needs extra assistance in getting out and about than his peers.

Hi, my son gets middle rate care and no mobility. I phoned and asked about change of circumstance in order to apply for mobility as he his now very difficult when out and about. I was told I could of course apply BUT they would look at whole application again and I ran the risk of no mobility and care going down!(worst case senario but possible) I did not apply! But I did request a blue badge from ss and got one!! At first I was turned down as GP did not support application. I was advised by ss to go and speak to GP and explain problems getting around. I did not feel comfotable doing this as my doctor has never seen my son regarding asd. So I phoned ss and explained and they agreed a health proffesional that was involved with his asd could write support letter. My hv did and we got our badge. I know this does not answer your question but the badge has helped SO much its another option for now.

my son has no diagnoses as yet but my GP is so supportive one of the first question she asked 'does he have a blue badge, if not I will support a claim'. I have my own badge so I don't need to worry about it too much.

Good luck! i use to get hight rae care and moblity

but every sence about 6years ago it got muced up..

take care

cazzie

Ellis now recieves high rate care and high rate mobility due to the SMI (severe mental impairment), he is able to walk, but has no sense of road danger, stranger awareness and he licks anything and everything, so going out is hazardous on foot!

He was on Mid rate care only and when his awared was renewed after the first two years, last july his care rate was renewed at mid rate once again, which I knew and his consultant knew was unfair due to the level of night care I have to give....we appealed and were given low rate mobility along with mid rate care. Once again we felt this was not right and in October last year both the mobility and care elements were reawarded at high rate and he finally was given a major buggy too, which is a total god send!

He was five last july and the mobility was back dated to his fifth birthday! His award is also valid until his 16th birthday now as I had to point out that this (ASD, GDD) was not going to go away!

Edited by ellisisamazing

Ellis now recieves high rate care and high rate mobility due to the SMI (severe mental impairment), he is able to walk, but has no sense of road danger, stranger awareness and he licks anything and everything, so going out is hazardous on foot!

He was on Mid rate care only and when his awared was renewed after the first two years, last july his care rate was renewed at mid rate once again, which I knew and his consultant knew was unfair due to the level of night care I have to give....we appealed and were given low rate mobility along with mid rate care. Once again we felt this was not right and in October last year both the mobility and care elements were reawarded at high rate and he finally was given a major buggy too, which is a total god send!

He was five last july and the mobility was back dated to his fifth birthday! His award is also valid until his 16th birthday now as I had to point out that this (ASD, GDD) was not going to go away!

Ellis sounds very similar to Charlie - he has no sense of danger AT ALL and he licks everything when we go out - the favourite at the moment is railings and shopping trolleys :hypno: I have just bought a second hand Easy Life double buggy which should do him up to 5 years old (I have a 1 year old too). Problem I find (and I expect loads of others find too) is that because Charlie's speech sounds good everyone thinks that there is nothing wrong with him :wallbash: - but they don't listen to him long enough to notice that he is talking at people about total random stuff and most of his phrases are repeated from ones he has heard but he doesn't understand what he is talking about at all! :crying: