Sign in to follow this  
allie

Weighted blankets

Hi All

I haven't been on here for the last couple of months, things have just been so hectic.

I've had a bad few days with C, he had one of his worst meltdowns to date on thursday, and he has become so strong now that it really worried me. :tearful: (and hurt me :fight: )

I've been searching and reading up as usual and came across weighted blankets.

Does anyone have any experience of using them, just wondered what the thoughts were.

Also what are they weighted down with?

Thanks.

Yes I have used one in the past and it was very helpful. My son just to use the lap blanket. Infact I am just in the process of ordering one for his bed.

Lyn

HI, I work in a school, in an autism base. I find weighted blankets to be very calming for our pupils. I have recently made mini weighted blankets out of pillowcases.

I use those long wheat bags that are infused with lavendar and can be microwaved for treating stiff necks etc. I wrap them with wadding and stitch them into the pillow case in channels and fill other channels with just wadding. I find 3 wheat bags ideal. I make a soft fleecy cover for the weighted 'pillow'.

A couple of our pupils love these, they are a good size to hold on their head and cover their ears, or to hold on their shoulder or on their knees when sitting.

Hope that helps someone :thumbs:

Hi Allie

>:D<<'> sorry things are difficult at the mo. I havnt used a weighted blanket so far but i have def thought about getting one, there are a few websites that sell them and a lady on here but ive forgotten her name :wacko: Il try to remember. >:D<<'>

yes yes yes. is my answer and I swear by them,

they have been brillaint for J, it has almost ment we dont restrain any more either he gets the pressure from this, it is a really good, I can pm where I got mine from, it was under a 100 pounds and the size of a bed blanket. he chose the colour and the pattern, it is gorgous.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum