Sign in to follow this  
jomica

SENCOs

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/consultations...ltationId=1542

For anyone who hasn't seen this it is a consultation on draft regulations prescribing the qualifications and experience required of the person responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision for pupils - the SEN Co-ordinator or SENCO.

The consultation also sets out associated functions in relation to governing bodies, and outlines work to develop national accredited training for all newly appointed SENCOs.

If it goes ahead it will require:

SENCOs to be employed, i.e. not volunteers, and employed as teachers, not members of support staff.

the governing body to define the role of the SENCO in relation to the leadership and management of the school.

the governing body to monitor the actions of the SENCO in relation to key areas of the role (reflecting the SEN Code and the way posts operate in practice).

The regulations could come into force in 2009.

Sounds like good news to me. Definitely worth a read.

Page came up 'file not found' :unsure: ??

From what you've said - it sounds good. I'm a SENCO, and the training to become one............well, lets just say i wasn't impressed! It's vital to give these members of staff extra training on SEN. ANYTHING that outlines the role clearly can only be a good thing. At present, if you have a good one - it's because she / he puts lots more into it than she's being paid to do......

oh no it doesnt :crying:

That's funny - it does for me.

Try this: go to www.dfes.gov.uk and click on the "consultations" section and then on the section about SENCOs.

>:D<<'>