ScienceGeek

I lost it this morning

I went completely mad this morning. I was running late for my drs appointment, couldn't find my shoes or my keys. This place is an absolute state and I just ended up throwing everything around, kicking things, hitting myself in the head for being so stupid as to let myself get in this mess. Lots of shouting and swearing too. I think I scared my gf a little (by the way I would never get violent with another person, especially my gf so no worries there). :unsure:

Hi SG

We are harder on ourselves than others are towards us. My son is similar and despite numerous attempts to help him organise himself it doesn't seem to work for him.

What I tend to do is have a set place for my keys, shoes etc so not sure if this would work for you? But even then I sometimes forget where my mobile is or something else. Perhaps the difference is that you suffer more stress due to the issues you have?

It has been really stressful lately anyway, I think this was just something that tipped me over the edge. I know I need to get more organised but can't manage it for very long. I've tried various organisation techniques that people have recommended and nothing has stuck. I've been getting really snappy lately at my gf when she interrupts my concentration on something that is my current obsession. I'm appalled at my own behaviour, but still it happens :unsure:

But even then I sometimes forget where my mobile is...

This is easily solved (unless its battery is empty). Call yourself...

Constant places do not work for me, but I managed to contain the 'area' of where I put my keys. If I am in the Lab, they are either hooked to my trousers (their 'standard' location) or optionally on the desk.

In my dorm room, I have them either hooked to my trousers or sitting on my bed. With the 'chaos' in my bed it still makes for some searching, but since it is a small area, I can usually find them within 5-15s.

Shoes? Who needs shoes... ;)

I only wear shoes in the chemistry building, since it is mandatory there...

...walking barefoot is amazing...

Getting (and staying) organised does not seem to work for me either, so I keep the most important things in set places and let everything else be... ...I just go through all my paper stuff once or twice a year to throw out unneeded stuff...

It works 'sort of', but it looks anything but organised... ...my room is a total chaos, but amazingly most of the time I find what I am looking for... ...just thinking about what I am looking for, I get a picture of where I have last seen it... ...most of the time that is enough to tell me where to look...

I am a lot more organised within the filesystem of my computer... ...probably since it is much less effort... ...I whish I could install 'locate' in 'Real Live'... ...but then again, that is just about how my brain works... ...as long I see something every now and then, I can locate it relatively well... ...but when somthing sits somewhere where I will not see it on a semi-regular basis, it just falls off my list of locatable items...

I went completely mad this morning. I was running late for my drs appointment, couldn't find my shoes or my keys. This place is an absolute state and I just ended up throwing everything around, kicking things, hitting myself in the head for being so stupid as to let myself get in this mess. Lots of shouting and swearing too. I think I scared my gf a little (by the way I would never get violent with another person, especially my gf so no worries there). :unsure:

I was just wondering although I hope you don't think I am intruding.

Would it be worth having a chatt with your gf some time when you have a bit of time and feel calm.

If you are able to explain what your gf can do to help you and what would not help then she might be more prepared if you become stressed again.

Even if you know that you would never hurt your gf it can be frightening to see somone you care about appear very stressed so it might help your gf too.Karen.

yeah sg i agree with karen,have a good chat with your girlfriend about how stressed you feel when you lose things,when i first met nick he used to get really annoyed when he lost something,angry sometimes and in the end i used to get really nervous and anxious when he lost anything,i told him how it made me feel and we looked for whatever he had lost together.

i havent got a system for not losing things,im excellent at losing mobiles and house keys!!

Oh pooh :( sorry to hear that.

Bit late to this one, but hope you're doing a bit better now.

I don't really do explosions - i implode, quietly.

Still feels horrible though :(

Do have a natter with gf, she might be thinking she can do something that would help - but would actually make things worse. Having a plan that you've both sorted out can take lots of pressure off. Talking is good :) .