Sign in to follow this  
bikergal

Yr 9 annual review

Help! Have meeting early next week, have only just received the letter and details from school asking for my input. I hope to have someone coming with me to the meeting but it's probably too short notice to meet up and go through things :wallbash: Mentions lower anxiety levels...erm I think not....she's just very controlled and self contained at school. Her behaviour at home definitely indicates otherwise. I'm concerned that school think she's independent and age appropriate with things and she isn't (can't go out alone, doesn't bath or wash herself or get herself drinks, has terrrible separation anxiety). My concern with this is that the impression may impact on any help I may try to fight for in the future...eg transport to college and appropriate help in college. Also mentions she isn't distracted by noise; her sensory sensitivities are smell and touch. There is also a remark about executive function and slow information processing which scarily says seems to affect her in maths but not in language! I'm rather cynical about such remarks, don't trust the Senco to have dd1's best interests at heart. Educationally, she is doing ok though is rather bored. A lot of the work is easy as she's been put in the lower sets where the ta's are...this is the standard answer when I've questioned this before. So I feel there are low expectations of her and obviously her educational needs are not being met?

Sorry to have rambled on. :whistle: Please, anyone who has any knowledge/experience of year 9 annual reviews...help would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, bikergal, no advice, I'm afraid, but I'll be interested to see what others say, as we have Jay's year 9 annual review in a few weeks too. It's supposed to be the big transition review, isn't it, and we've no idea what to expect either. :huh:

~ Mel ~

Hi.

I do not have experience oy year 9 annual reviews.

However I think it is certainly worth challenging the situation where DD is getting bored due to being in lower sets where the TAs are.

The school should be providing appropriate support to enable DD to work at the level she is capable of rather than placing her where the support happens to be.Ben recives TA support and is working well above the level of many of his peers.It would be very worthwhile to challenge the school regarding the current situation if your DD has any TA input documented in a Statement.Karen.

Hi again.I have just posted a couple of links on the ''Annual Review'' thread.The sites both include specific information regarding year 9/transition so it may be worth looking them up on the other thread. :) Karen.

Thanks Karen and Mumble :notworthy: Will let you know how I get on. This is doubly scary because it's also the first annual review. :tearful: I've got some questions for the school re english as dd1 got level 5 3 years ago and her latest report says she's a 5.7 now which I don't think is an awful lot of progress really. English was her best subject. Dd1 says there is a ta in that lesson but she goes off to work with others because she says dd1 doesn't need her. :wallbash: Anyway I will try to say some positive things as she has made progress in other subject areas.

Poppy, I'm in Norwich too. Would be interested to hear how you get on. Is your review soon?