I had an appointment at the orthopaedics department. It was really stressful and they were running 1.5hrs late! So I had to sit in their waiting room for 1.5hrs in a horribly bright noisy hospital. Basically I have to go back at a later date for an MRI scan. I've never had one before so I don't know how I will react to it, I do know however that I get really claustrophobic so chances are it isn't going to go well. :unsure:

Do let them know about how you feel before the appointment. They may be able to give you something to calm you down a bit, and maybe arrange it for a quieter time of the day....(I had mine in a evening and the place was like the marie celeste!!!).

Guest Lya of the Nox

meggz is having one next week, but hopefully only her hand/arm

i think i could be a long day

but when i fone to confirm the app, i will be doing the asd bit

i have one a few years ago and found it hard, but it needed to be done

x

Tell 'em to drug you! :lol:

I had to have them quite often (just to make sure the hamsters still running on it's wheel.... ;) ) - and i had sedation for the first two - oddly enough, i'm used to them now! :huh:

Seriously - would shutting your eyes and just get through it work for you, or do you think you'll have a panic? Have a chat to Docs about it. :)

You do need to keep still for the scan. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about your concerns. S/he should be able to offer you some nice valium, but you might need someone with you to get you home afterwards if you do that. It is even possible to have a general anaesthetic, but they prefer not to do that if they can help it.

Taking a cap or some dark glasses, earplugs and sudoku books might help you cope with the wait.

Depending on what you are having it for, you might need to have movement in the scan. I had them done on my knees and had to extend and fold my knees, sometimes against an infalted beach ball, for pressure.

I don't have any inkling of claustrophobia, but found it really hard.

Oh, remember the no metal rule, so forget your underwired bra that day!

:lol:

Edited by CarolineJ

Depending on what you are having it for, you might need to have movement in the scan. I had them done on my knees and had to extend and fold my knees, sometimes against an infalted beach ball, for pressure.

I don't have any inkling of claustrophobia, but found it really hard.

Oh, remember the no metal rule, so forget your underwired bra that day!

:lol:

Underwired bra?! :unsure:

I'm having the scan on my knee.

You could be in there a while then. They often want to scan both knees going through a range of movements, so they can make a fair comparison.

Absolutely dreadful! They were running 30mins late so was left in a packed waiting room. I felt bad as soon as I got in the room, that was before anything was even done!! Strapped my leg in and in I went. Jeez they are loud!! I had ear plugs and headphones on and it still felt like someone was stabbing my brain. They only managed to get one picture done before I freaked out. :unsure: At least I'm back home now and my brain is totally fried but at least they got one.