kirstie

BANKING!

Thought i should just warn you all- although i know you will all be clued up, to check and double check your accounts. If you do online banking be very careful. I have just had someone set up a mandate to the tune of �400. I noticed it the next day and now my account is on a stop untill the Bank investigates :tearful: feeling rather angry and violated to be honest. It is not a nice feeling and it's not money we can afford to 'lose'. I am aware that quite a few Banks are seeing this happen a lot right now but DO NOT open any emails claiming to be from your bank or any other for that matter, unless you know for sure its not fake.( they are doing the rounds!) Doesn't help when so many agencies are 'losing' our personal data either!! :tearful::tearful::wallbash:

My banks sends me an email when anything is changed or set up on my account.

But agreed do not follow links from emails...go to the site first manually.

Oh and when you move inform your bank immediately and redirections are often intercepted..I know the hard way!

Last year I had �700 taken out of my account, it wasn't till we got a mini statement that I noticed I was �1200 over drawn! We went stright in and the bank put a stop on the account and raised our overdraft to cover it (start of our debt problms) The bank gave us back the full �700 after about 6 weeks but it was a scary time

Somebody tried to go on holiday (from Germany) with my credit card..�2000. The bank dragged their feet on paying because a) it was out of character for me, b ) it exceeded my credit limit by �1500 and c) they couldn't get hold of me in the middle of my move to check things. Just before this a couple of small things had been taken out to test the card. Whilst these were paid the money was instantly repaid as soon as fraud claim forms were filled in by me. The police called because on trying to book the holiday the chap left his correct name and address :blink:

My fleabay account was also hijacked...now they are so easy to get the fees back on, that is until I threaten to close my account and take matters further!

Paypal were good though!

Edited by justamum

If you have any concerns about a email from your bank, you can always forward it to them and ask if it is genuine. The email address is normally abuse@BANK.com. Your bank's website probably has the address on it.

Slightly off topic....but I had an email today from someone called "John" sent via an autism site, asking for my help in getting his inheritance apparently Father had died and so had his Mother....it was all a bit weird and obviously a scam, so blocked it ????

Clare

Edited by Clare63

OOh that does sound iffy.

I had read this week that men from abroad (or women too i should imagine) are chatting to people online asking for them to help take the money from an account and then passing it on to them so they are what would seem laundering it for them (in return for a large fee i might add!) Be very careful. I am not going to do online banking again. I hope that it will be safe enough for me to just check my statements online but i will be very wary of that even when my new details arrive.

Kirstie there is nothing wrong with online banking , it is as safe as using a cash machine or your card in a shop. You just have to be aware or how your data, in all scenarios, is obtained by fraudsters. I only do online banking. Have done for 10 years. My credit card was only hijacked via a redirection notice with the Post Office!