keepingmesane

getting too involved in books

hi all, this is probably gonna be quite a strange post but i wanted to find out if anyone else felt the same or maybe their child does.

when i was younger i used to read loads, i would get so involved in the story it was as though i was there. i often didnt respond to anyone when i was reading as i never heard them, it was like i was a million miles away. Now you might say that that is the sign of a good book which i agree, but it would absolutely devastate me when the story finished, it felt as though the world had ended. often i would end up reading the book again and again and just keep going til i got hooked on the next book.

It was the same with films and i often used to wear videos out from watching them again and again.

I have spent most of my life doing this as i preferred to stay in on my own, its what makes me happiest.

As i got older i sort of found the same thing with video games and often couldnt play again once i died as i was so involved in it that it would really throw me if the character died, i couldnt play again for a little while until i got over it. i didnt like how it felt.

Now i have children i find that i no longer read fiction any more as i cant allow myself to get hooked again and i have to admit im embaressed that i get so obsessed and find the feelings overwhelming.

I still watch films repeatedly much to the annoyance of my husband, im as bad as my children (in fact worse sometimes) in wanting the same film again and again.

I find it quite sad that i no longer read but i just cant let it take over me as my children always need me.

I am exactly the same with books and films. My parents never used to be able to get through to me when I was reading or watching a film, they said like my brain was given over completely to it. When they used to tap me on the shoulder to bring me around I used to get distressed or aggressive. I can happily play a computer game, read or watch something for hours without realising the passing of time.

N has always been into books (from 4 months old!) and can remember whole excerpts from her favourite ones. Lots of her books have been read so much they are falling to pieces. She has a reading age about 2 years above her actual age but she prefers books with coloured pictures in so most of her books are for below her age group.

Both me and my husband can become so absorbed in a book that we take no notice of what's going on around us - as for N she is just as bad.

hi all, this is probably gonna be quite a strange post but i wanted to find out if anyone else felt the same or maybe their child does.

when i was younger i used to read loads, i would get so involved in the story it was as though i was there. i often didnt respond to anyone when i was reading as i never heard them, it was like i was a million miles away. Now you might say that that is the sign of a good book which i agree, but it would absolutely devastate me when the story finished, it felt as though the world had ended. often i would end up reading the book again and again and just keep going til i got hooked on the next book.

It was the same with films and i often used to wear videos out from watching them again and again.

I have spent most of my life doing this as i preferred to stay in on my own, its what makes me happiest.

As i got older i sort of found the same thing with video games and often couldnt play again once i died as i was so involved in it that it would really throw me if the character died, i couldnt play again for a little while until i got over it. i didnt like how it felt.

Now i have children i find that i no longer read fiction any more as i cant allow myself to get hooked again and i have to admit im embaressed that i get so obsessed and find the feelings overwhelming.

I still watch films repeatedly much to the annoyance of my husband, im as bad as my children (in fact worse sometimes) in wanting the same film again and again.

I find it quite sad that i no longer read but i just cant let it take over me as my children always need me.

Hi Keepingmesane,

Yes my daughter is the same - she's nearly 15 - she reads no end of books. Last year she read a book and was terribly depressed afterwards - I would say it lasted a week or two - she told me she didn't think she would ever ever read a book that was as good as that again.

She also is terrible for series books that come to an end - she finds it very difficult to cope with.

Take care,

Jb