Sign in to follow this  
deeejar

EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST report

My son has a diagnosis of autism. I am going through the assessment for statement, I have the medical evidence for the statement. I am still waiting for salt report. The LA educational psychologist has written a report for my son based on an observation she made of my ds a few months ago. She won't let me see a copy of it before it goes to panel. I managed to speak to her on the phone, and I got some information from her, by asking her for her professional opinion. She has told me that she has put on her report that my ds has mild asd (is mild asd a recognised term, shouldn't it just say asd, my ds is not mild by any account, especially not today!), and could cope in a mainstream setting. My son's paediatrician thinks that my ds could never cope in a mainstream setting.

I want to meet with the EP to discuss her report with her. Obviously EP doesn't want to because I have no choice but to disagree with her report.

Can I legally make her comply with my request to a meeting about her report. She is not taking any of my views into account, my ds has no comprehension of language, and his expressive language is all immediate echolalia. When I challenged her about this, she admitted that he would need a large amount of support.

What can I do about my situation?

If there is nothing I can do legally, is there something -sneaky and underhand- persuasive that anyone can think of?

I have an appointment with a private EP (Linda Miller) in June, but I want to see what I can do about the LA EP aswell.

Also the EP did a joint report with a pre-school home visitor, and did no proper assessments of my son.

I thought the report was just her report, can I complain about that?

Edited by deeejar

I think I read somewhere - may be the COP- that EPs have to seek the views of others who are treating. As she has written a report about your child you have the right to see it. Ask her by fax- if she refuses call the BPS(British Psychology Society) helpline- they may be able to advise how to deal with this. Can Ipsea help? In reality without seeing what she has written you cannot fight back properly. I trust that you have submitted a report from the treating paediatrician? Good luck

I hope you get to see a copy of the EP report soon, I felt very negative about our EP when I saw him and he sort of interviewed me and had decided in my head he was wrong. When I did see the report (it came with the proposed statement) it was a very true and accurate description of my DS. The LEA seem to have been more of a problem as they ignored his comments, he the EP, has now asked for our case to be reconsidered, I feel awful for thinking so badly of him.

My advice, just keep chipping away and stay strong

Clare x x x

Well I finally have a copy of the educational psychologist's report. There are two things in it that are not true, that he points to request/show interest, and that he can count to 20. He does not point, to request or otherwise, and can count - but up to 10, and not consistently, he needs prompting, and often goes backwards and forwards before he gets there! :rolleyes: Is it worth my while to bring this up and disagree with the ep report?

The rest is quite accurate.

She has mentioned support from staff trained in asd, for 1:1 and group work, ot and salt, assessment for i.t equipment, structured environment. Also she has written out a list of details for an IEP.

Shall I wait until I have the proposed statement, then demand a meeting with LA rep, and the ed psych?

All help much appreciated,

x

Ok, have finished writing a draft letter to EP.

Shall I send it to her and one to her boss,(PEP), who else shall I send it to?

Also on reading her report again, she recommended some things for IEP that should be part of provision since directly linked with his educational needs. Have pointed that out to her aswell.

I feel so powerful now!

Can anyone tell me how much influence the Ed psych has on the statement?

Would really appreciate answers.

I am just chatting to myself here, much like real life then! :lol:

It certainly IS worth challenging if you don't agree with the report. I had one really duff Ed physc report, and I wrote and told her so, much to her disgust! The ed physc said my daughter had "neat joined handwriting" she was 5 years old! Her handwriting is bearly legible now and she is 9! She also said that my daughters phobia of bugs was resolved because she was able cope with books like the hungry catapillar! The list goes on! :wacko:

I have a friend who did not contest the report and it bit her on her backside when going to tribunal. Most people think that you just have to go along with a report just because a professional has written it. NO you don't!! Those are factual errors in that report, so write and tell her. Just make sure you write about the good stuff as well. Good luck >:D<<'>

Well, I wrote to the ep, and she said it was too late to change anything, I wrote to her boss,who after alot of back and forth communication, has said it will be discussed after the draft statement, if given to my son. I think they are going to use the falsified report to refuse to issue my son with a statement,

Also, I have been trying to find out, but with no success:

Is it legal to write a joint advice with a pre-school home visitor(portage), and clinical psychologist?

That is what the ep has done, I can't find any information about it, and no-one seems to know the answer.

I have been told that after the panel meets, if I wish to discuss the matter, then the ep will meet with me, and also attending will by the pre-school home visitor and the clinical psychologist.

Personally, if they decide not to issue a statement, there will be no meetings and Iwill apply straignt away to tribunal, with a private ep report, :ninja: