jo jones

dla for sensory disorders

hi again ,,i been told to put in for dla due to sensory probs my son has,, pad team has said no asd even though i disagree with that!!!paeds got in touch on fri she is gonna check him out for hypermobility syndrome at nxt visit and is also concerned bout his skull( in dec a little girl ran into him at school and caused a depressed fracture 5.8 mm and also a linear fracture down the back of his head) this was called a mild clash of heads!!!!! wat the school said!!!!! she is goin to investigate the accident as it seems too much damage to be mild????? i have lots of issues bout this so i wont get started!!! i have the forms ere but im unsure how to word the sensory stuff?????

Any accident at school needs to be written in the accident book. I would hazard to guess that unless he has something wrong with his skull, and hypermobility syndrome will not cause the density and strength of bone to be affected, then it was a little more than a mild bump.

As for the DLA stuff I would put the consequences of each sensory issue, ie runs aways, doesn't notice traffic, height, danger etc. They will be more interested in the consequence rather than the cause.

i agree bout the bump!! seem not to want to give me answers at school,, i was rung at 2pm ,accident happened at 12,30 ish,, they let him sleep, wen i got to school they told me that he was hysterical they didnt know why? he had his hat on kept tellin me he needed to go to sleep,, wen i got home and took his hat off he looked like the elephant man? i rung the school and asked if he had fallen? this was after i had rung for ambulance!!! they told me no he hadnt and they would have told me if he had???? i told her what he looked like and she went for a mo when she came back she said it was written i acc book a mild clash of heads????? amb arrived took him to hosp blue lights the lot.. i was panickin to say the least!!! head xrays and ct scan were done thats when they told me the extent of the damage and said was the same as high impact car crash or hammer attack no way was mild!!!!! he was in hosp for 4 days!!! after xmas head of school rang me and asked how did it happen?????????????? i was really annoyed and said i wanted to see the person who wrote it in acc book,, i went to school and while i was there waitin for person to come in the head then told me that the person would not b coming to see me as she didnt witness anything???? i asked then how was it in the acc book if no one saw it apparently the little girl had said she had bumped heads with my little one,,, the head said that she had looked over the little girl as she had a visible lump on the front of her head ,,but my boy was fine????/ obviously no first aid was given because the left side of his head was visibly pulsating and the back of his head was visibly swollen to 3 times the size!!!!!!!!!!! i have loads of issues bout this as his head will always have a visible dent and flat patch but the school says all was done correctly, not!!! i am a first aider myself and i know he should not have slept, i should have been informed asap not an hour later! sorry all to rant but dont we all think our kids are safe at school?

A cover up if ever I heard one!

Personally I would be taking this incident to a higher level, particularly as the medics have doubts about a 'mild clash', and removing him immediately from the school at least until the truth comes out.

They neglected their duty of care!

And although they can report the incident in the accident they can not report it as fact if the the writer didn't witness the incident.

I would get some legal advice

i did seek some legal advice , what they told me was the school is not negligent for the accident cos it could have happened anywhere but did not follow proper first aid procedure as in they let him sleep!!! did not contact myself as this was an emergency,, did not physically examine his head? if they had done this then they would have felt the swellings and also they didnt even look at his head as they would have seen that his head had grown to 3 times its normal size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he had to see a neurosurgeon before he could return to school,,, the neurosurgeon could tell us that he had hit something really hard to cause such a fracture as between 5 and 8 mm normally needs surgery to lift the skull back out!!! also he said that he had fallen backwards ,which had caused the linear fracture, when i explained this to the head she denied he had fallen???? i did then ask how do you know that if it wasnt witnessed???,,, the neurosurgeon explained because there was no open wound and he showed remarkable recovery then they wouldnt need to operate at this time,,, he could not do any outdoor activity for 3 months and had to have 1-1 support at school during playtimes as he couldnt go in the yard!!! i found out then from the little one that they were letting him out at playtimes and was participating in pe without support!!!!! i have kept a diary of events and also photos of his head to add to legal stuff i have taken witnesses with me every time to hear what the head says!!!!!!! i was told the hosp was going to investigate the school for me as they didnt believe it either??? im waitin for news on that will let u all know in due course

i did seek some legal advice , what they told me was the school is not negligent for the accident cos it could have happened anywhere but did not follow proper first aid procedure as in they let him sleep!!! did not contact myself as this was an emergency,, did not physically examine his head? if they had done this then they would have felt the swellings and also they didnt even look at his head as they would have seen that his head had grown to 3 times its normal size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he had to see a neurosurgeon before he could return to school,,, the neurosurgeon could tell us that he had hit something really hard to cause such a fracture as between 5 and 8 mm normally needs surgery to lift the skull back out!!! also he said that he had fallen backwards ,which had caused the linear fracture, when i explained this to the head she denied he had fallen???? i did then ask how do you know that if it wasnt witnessed???,,, the neurosurgeon explained because there was no open wound and he showed remarkable recovery then they wouldnt need to operate at this time,,, he could not do any outdoor activity for 3 months and had to have 1-1 support at school during playtimes as he couldnt go in the yard!!! i found out then from the little one that they were letting him out at playtimes and was participating in pe without support!!!!! i have kept a diary of events and also photos of his head to add to legal stuff i have taken witnesses with me every time to hear what the head says!!!!!!! i was told the hosp was going to investigate the school for me as they didnt believe it either??? im waitin for news on that will let u all know in due course

gosh that is shocking, no wonder you're raging i would be too, i mean exactly what and why are they trying to cover everything up eh??? they OBVIOUSLY know a heck of a lot more than they are letting on.

yes really shocking and sad because i thought he was safe at school,, obviously not,, i mean where i live is very quiet and yet he cant go out to play because he does not see danger and has escaped from home and done a runner twice in the last year!!! he was 6 yesterday and it is sad that he cant play outdoors with the other kids,,, he will wander off because he dont realise consequence,, our house has been turned into colditz keys are hidden,, electrical stuff is up high not that it bothers him cos he will climb!!! few months ago he got up before me and i woke cos my fire alarm was goin off,,, he came upstairs hands over his ears and said mam i dont like the noise turn it off???? when i came to see, he had climbed on the cupboards got the toaster,, put it on my nice leather sofa plugged it in and decided to make toast!!!!! lucky it is a cool wall toaster otherwise i dread to think if he had grabbed it !!!!!!! my friends think he is just a little bit mad and odd at times,,, we have to have eyes on him all the time really hard work!!!!! the head is now known as miss trunchbull the horrible one from the film matilda ha ha i cant say it in front of the little one cos he will tell her ,,,, he is far to honest!!!!

Hi Jo,

I think you are well on your way to getting DLA, the examples you give in your post above are perfect.

Good luck

Clare x x x

hi clare and thanx i didnt realise cos people had told me to put sensory disorders on the form i wasnt quite sure, my only other issue is cos the paed has agreed bout sensory issues the psychologist he was seeing disagrees??????? one hand was not passin info to the other ,,, do i tell them to write to his paed???? and also we had to have help for 6 months from sure start behavioural team,, should i put her name forward as someone who knows him well? she observed him once a week for 6 months when i asked for her opinion she also thinks he has aspergers but says the pad team will not commit to diagnosis cos its not that obvious ?????

Jo,

Yes deffinately on the form they ask YOU whom to contact so put the paed and the sure start. There is no harm in trying and I think consideration goes on the strength of clear examples of what help your child needs over and above those of the same age and the danger to themselves and others if not fully supervised.

Clare

i tell you wat else im doin now i been doin video diary of him to back up the things he does!!! at the mo he is obsessed on roller coasters and is on pc using a simulater when he is totally engrossed he then has these really sporadic movements and jumps about then is suddenly calm and it starts all over again unsure if this is due to sensory or what????also he likes to bounce and skid on any flooring??? we had a really good conversation earlier bout roller coasters,, i asked why he liked them so much and he said cos they are fast and it makes my body feel nice??? he then asked if he could go to our local theme park,, only 10 mins from us he went on all the smaller roller coasters there and wouldnt move when people were riding the big one!!! was totally engrossed,,,last thing he went on was a big bouncy slide was only supposed to be on it for 5 mins we had hell gettin him off it he was the last one off ha ha,,,, he is still up now he been to bed now 4 times,, he just dont get worn out!!!! we do!!!!!!!! ha ha we bought him a trampoline for his bday yesterday,, he was on it for bout 7 hours and still didn sleep till 12 45,,,,,!!!

As I said keep as much evidence as you can, I would even suggest you print off your posts from here to act as a reminder. My son sleeps very little and that in it self is very exhausting for us as parents, this is a key thing to put on the DLA, I think there's a question about what happens when the family home shuts down for the night.

You lad sounds a total whirlwind, mine sadly barely moves off the sofa nowadays glued to his laptop !!!!

Clare

yes he is bit mad on times and wears us out,, we both work so can be very hard for the hubby as we have different coping mechanisms and i think cos i work in autism anyway i have a greater undertanding of issues which my husband cant get his head round at times,,,,if he can get the laptop thats it we have great difficulty getting him off it and have to turn it off, then he goes ballistic and will hit out and throw things,,, he has even thrown laptop i dont know how it still works!!!! the pad team said no adhd either????????

I was thinking perhaps ADHD as a possible co-morbid, its not easy is it can certainly put a strain on one relationships. How old is your son ?

he was 6 yesterday and when we first went for assessments they said that was what they were lookin for plus aspergers but the pad eam has said no to both and disagreed on sensory too????? until i showed her o/t report huh that shut her up ha ha??? she reckons his behviour is normal and that cos i work in autism im lookin for it!!!!! at first they treated me like i didnt have a clue till i reminded them that i was knowledgeable of behaviour as i also have a 17 year old and that i was not a paranoid first time mother as they said,,,,, duhhhhhhh i know no 2 kids are the same but other people were noticing things also!!!!! my friend who's little boy is autistic said to me a few months ago that she always though there was sumthing there but didnt like to tell me incase i was offended!!! i wouldnt have been as i thought was sumthing not right myself,,,,, have anyone experienced this? today when he had just come off trampoline i noticed he had gone quiet??? i went out to see him and there he was shorts off( he loves to be naked anyway) when i asked what he was doin he said i need a poo can you leave me alone? he was gonna take a poo in the garden for gods sake!!!!!!!!!!!! when i asked him to go to the toilet( i didnt make a fuss) he said i cant i havent got time i need to go back on my trampoline???????????????????? we have caught him loads time having a pee in the drain outside!!!!!

Think the toileting in the garden could be a bit of a boy thing ! well having a wee anyway !!!! At least he does it down the drain we had it on the bedroom carpet for a while :o

Sometimes I think "they" (so called pro's) like to test us parents out as to whether we are naff or not....typical as if its something you'd go looking for, I am sure with all the evidence you are collating YOU will get taken seriously.

hi again an sorry to be off the track a bit can anyone help? with regard to the bump in my previous thread,,does anyone have knowledge of how the lea works? should i go to them and ask for investigation also? when it happened miss trunchbull(the head ha ha) told me that she would be reporting the accident to the lea? i have never heared anything or is this just what they have to do? as i have not been made aware of this report and i am thinkin maybe this may have gone under the carpet a bit!!!!!!!!! i thought that i may have had a letter from lea enquiring bout this and to confirm accident???

ummmm yep!!! just got off the fone to a very nice health an safety schools officer,, and she was really shocked and has said that she has not seen anything come into office bout accident as it would have been investigated by now and i would have been informed!!!!!!!! she has given me the name of the person who will now deal with this for me,,, and i should hear from him asap ,, she also said that it does not sound very good as they have not followed the correct procedure around accidents at school,,,, this should have been reported shortly after accident happened !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooooooops now they got it coming ha ha so they must be hiding sumthing!!!! will let u all know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

oh dear, did the the cover up not work then?..........well if the did everything correctly they would not be covering up would they?

Just remember all schools have liability insurance!

What's that I hear compensation as well as a ticking off???????????

if they dont give me answers then i will surely make fools of them wont i? cos at the end of all this,, my son will have to live with a big dent in the side of his head for the rest of his life!!!!! neurosurgeon has said that he can have corrective surgery if it bothers him when he is older??? we will let him choose innit? but glad it will be available if he wants as the dent is really visible,, they are hopin it will remould over time, i hope so??? and we have to watch that he does not bump same area again as it could push in again!!!!! so will get on to lea again in the mornin,, ad to go work tday and tmrw and fri off so will be on the blower !!!!

you go for it as this not just a scraped knee, this could have been fatal!

I just got my sons school records...long story of lies....but apparently when my son perceived the boys that hit him didn't like him he was wrong. No, no they were hitting and smashing him into trees, stripping him naked because they were his best friend. :blink:

That's not my definition of friendship...may be after all these I am perceiving friendships wrong and should actually allow myself to be bullied as 'they' are my real friends?

justamum that is awful!!! my little one has been bullied by 3 kids at school,, the same 3 that bully not just my little one but the more vulnerable kids,,, they call him f*****g baby all the time and he came home with a bleeding nose last week and also the teacher said he was punched to the bumped side of his head!!!!! as i say these 3 kids are a problem which they know about it's not just me who has complained,, they had the parents in and they denied that their kids were involved!!!!! but what makes it worse is that these are 6 year olds!!! god help when they are older!! my boy is the smallest in his class so maybe they think that he is an easy target,, the teacher told me that because it is a small school these kids will go through the system together and that they cant even split them up!!! blaine was crying on thurs last week because he hadnt asked them to ###### to his bday party they told him that it would be a stupid party and nobody was coming because they didnt like him,, because they could see he was upset he was called big baby and they were laffin at him!!! he is very sensitive anyway and dont take much to set him off my poor little man!!!!!