wasuup

Hello I am new and some questions

Hi there

I have 4 children. My eldest daughter is 8 and has social phobia, selective mutism, dyscalculia, school phobia and other general anxieties.

My other children are 3 boys ages 7,3 and 1.

My concern and reason for this post is my 3 year old. This is a bit about him.

He is bright, he can read and knows at least all of the high frequency words up to year1/year2 level and maybe a few more besides. He can spell these words often correctly but has no interest in writing them. He loves numbers and reciting his 12 times table. He can use a computer better than some adults. I have not helped him in any of these things he has obsessions about them and learns them himself, from his older siblings, or from just daily life. He won't play imaginary games for example I tried to play a pretend car game with him and he refused telling me the car needed batteries. At preschool he changed all the settings on their computer and passworded it so their computer would only work for him. He was asked to go and paint with *** and he did he painted the child in question. He won't go into his group if he is called. They call the group by colours-he knows his colours but won't go in the group until he is called by name. He likes lining things up in straight lines and gets cross if the lines get messed with or a colour gets put in the wrong place. he has developed hypervigilance over crossing the road and if a car is parked then he will not cross the road there and if he sees a car coming down the road he will not cross. Any carrying attempts to cross roads unless I have a bar of choccy in my pocket at the end of it result in him protesting that he wants to go back and cross the road again. He is also a bit strange on going into preschool or into his toddler dance group. He will sort of crouch walk as we get near and not seem keen to be left but I know hes ok when he gets started and he always comes out beaming. There is little eye contact and he looks away when we try to look at him. His language skills seem genuinely good but become one worded demands when he wants something there and then like a biscuit, drink or something else. He has a strange sense of humour that seem to link in with his obsessions such as asked if he has done a poo, he will say that he has done a crabby patty (spongebobsquarepants). He is lazy about the toilet training and we went through a period when he was convinced he was going to fall down the toilet.

That's all I can think of for now. Should I be concerned, is this a normal 3 year old (I do realise that he seems bright but am not convinced that he understands what he knows if that makes sense). I don't no whether to wait and see what "big" school say in September or to mention this to the school or gp now?

Anyway that's me and hello everyone.

Hi wassup & welcome >:D<<'>

It wouldnt do any harm to mention these concerns to your GP/HV. Then if there is a problem you can get the ball rolling well before he starts school.

I loved the bit about painting the child :D

Welcome to the forum Wassup, I am sure you'll find lots of support and help here. Like Pearl I think I would mention these things to my GP.

Clare x x x

hi and welcome to this site.

my advice would be to go and chat with the pre school, and ask them if they have any concerns. and you could always go and chat with your health vistor and request a three year check. that is what is happening with my three year old. if there are concerns after the check you should then get refered to a pead/doctor. who would hopefully be able to help. get the ball rolling as these things take time. Your son sounds v clever but that can hide other problems from my experience anyway. good luck and let us no how you get on

Thank you all for your welcomes and advice!

I forgot say that he has also got selective hearing he failed the old style hearing test 3 times and had his ears electronically checked in the end. He only answers when he wants to and won't look in the direction of the person who is speaking.

Edited by wasuup

Hello, I would talk to the pre-school and tell them your concerns and ask if they have any. Also mention it to your HV. My son (ASD-14) has only just passed a hearing test, since failing his 6/8mths and school/hospital checks but his hearing is fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes X

Sounds familiar...my dd had 6 hearing tests,once every 6 months but she could hear the faintest bidsong. Painting went in ears, up nose on tongue but not on paper. Crossing the road I always had to manhandle her in front of all other mums...boy did my self esteem go down. I just hope you have a better/more understanding HV than I had. But do discuss with preschool and get them on your side and go to GP. Best of luck from Sadie (mum to dd ASD now aged 13 )

Thanks for replying guys. :)

I have been reading more about it today and have come across something called hyperlexia. Has anyone any experience of this?

Sadie-did your daughter have problems with crossing the road for a long time?

Hi, my ds is 4 and sounds very simular to yours in many ways, he is also hyperlexic.

please feel free to pm me if you like.

Hi

I have pm'd you.

Had problem crossing the road all the time my DD was at mainstream nursery(was close to home and I wanted to encourage walking). Year after my DD went to special school by bus so can't say how long it would have continued. Don't particularly recall it anywhere else but maybe cos I strapped her in the pushchair and it was such a long time ago.....!!!! Hope yr probs start to ease off soon. Sadie

Thanks everyone for your welcome!

Sadie he is the same with all types of things from the way he brushes his teeth(you know how it is probably better than me, putting the exact amount of toothpaste on his brush and doing it all in the same order) to how he gets in and out the car-he has to do everything his way and if you change his routine or alter one part of the way it is done he will want to do it all over again the right way(well his way). Also new shoes, nightmare, well I suppose any kind of change really........

It is weird reading this post now. Last Friday almost 2 years and 3 months to the day of this post later, my son was "officially" diagnosed with ASD, dyspraxia and ADHD traits by CAMHs (who have been fab so far!).

It is weird reading this post now. Last Friday almost 2 years and 3 months to the day of this post later, my son was "officially" diagnosed with ASD, dyspraxia and ADHD traits by CAMHs (who have been fab so far!).

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I do understand.

Ben obtained an AS dx just over a year ago after three years of debate.

We visited the same places on holiday this year as last year.I was surprised how things have changed in the last year.

I remember debating whether to ask for reduced price admission to a theme park as they offered a reduction for people with disabilities and their carers.This year I hardly thought about it.

When Ben attempted climbing on a climbing wall and found it difficult he got very frustrated although kept going.I was not afraid to explain to other parents that Ben has AS. :)

Karen.