Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Howling a lot!

We've had some trouble with Lucy, now 12, wandering around making what I can only describe as howling. It isn't really crying, but she is displaying her annoyance. :crying:

If you ask her what's wrong she says 'nothing' but if you ask her to stop making the noise, she head bangs quite violently and shouts 'leave me alone'. She frequently does this if we ask her to do something she doesn't want to do, like get a wash, do her homework or make her bed. If you try to reason with her she always yells' Stop shouting at me!' but the only one shouting is her!

Does this ring any bells with anyone and has anyone got through it and how?

I did suggest we speak to CAMHS about this and she went balistic! She says that's where mental people go!

Hi shona - does she realise she's making the noise? If it's 'under her breath' she might not realise. another thing could be she is aware but can't seem to stop herself, so when you say anything it seems like an accusation that she's doing it on purpose (even though it isn't)...

I'd try asking her directly and calmly if she's aware that she's making the noise and if she can 'manage' it or if it is something she does involuntarily? If she is aware, you could then ask, very gently, if she has any ideas what it means for her - does it reassure her/lower stress/express stress? the more you can discover about the reasons behind it, the more likely you are to be able to help her develop some control over it...

hope that helps, and very best with it.

:D

I just spent the past 10 minutes trying to remember why I used to make loud groaning noises, or howling, when I was young, there wasn't really a reason. I still quietly cry out loudly in my mind when I am asked to do homework or to make my bed when I can be using the time to do something more appealing to me.

I do homework when I have the drive to do it, same with making bed, getting into bath, washing up dishes.

When I was very young (I don't suggest you try this with a 12 year old!) when I was a baby my mother would put me on the floor so I couldn't hurt myself when I started screaming for no apparent reason and so I would know she was still there she would just put her foot on top of me (not crushing me on the floor or stomping the life out of me!).

I hope this helps you understand or work this out. I will probably continue puzzling out this behaviour for a few more hours!

Edited by xilef

My son does this occasionally, it's not loud 'howling' it's just a prolonged 'noise' of sorts, he too gets angry when asked what he is doing or asked to stop it. I know a number of non-autistic adults who hum away quite unaware they are doing it too ! perhaps this is just an extension of that ? Perhaps he has heard someone else doing it, and likes it himself...

We've had some trouble with Lucy, now 12, wandering around making what I can only describe as howling. It isn't really crying, but she is displaying her annoyance. :crying:

If you ask her what's wrong she says 'nothing' but if you ask her to stop making the noise, she head bangs quite violently and shouts 'leave me alone'. She frequently does this if we ask her to do something she doesn't want to do, like get a wash, do her homework or make her bed. If you try to reason with her she always yells' Stop shouting at me!' but the only one shouting is her!

Does this ring any bells with anyone and has anyone got through it and how?

I did suggest we speak to CAMHS about this and she went balistic! She says that's where mental people go!

12 could she be approaching pubity now and some of the changes in her body might be unsettling for her and she is finding it a challenge to understand what changes her body will /is making,things like body hair, maybe her chest is uncomfortable with growing breasts and the begining of periods,just a thought .

Edited by sesley

My son 9 howls and makes other noises, sometimes it's from excitement and other times I think he does it to block out other sounds, such as me talking, dog barking etc.

It may be that she is blocking out other sounds, is she doing it at school at all? >:D<<'>

Although we are going through a good ish patch at the moment, we have been through Hell, and not yet back! since December. My son turned 12 in october and we have had some terrible times with him, but what struck a chord with this post, is the noise, or howling, as you put it, thats exactly what DS did/does he start making this noise we had never heard him do before, we grew to dread it, we just called it the noise, when he did it we all knew he would go off on one! it was like a warning of his mental state, it got to the point where I actually used to feel sick with fear when I heard him doing it, have no answers for you, but I found it helpful to read that other people were experiencing the same problems as we were when we were going through it, and were still alive to tell the tale :rolleyes: and laugh about it! We are by no way out of the woods but are all learning to cope, even if its just, and it often is, to get through to the end of the day. Pity we cant compare "noises" to see how similar they all are :lol: Enid