Sign in to follow this  
hedders

been refused sat assessment for dd

Recieved a letter today which says

Made a parental request for stat assessment for our dd who is 7yrs old.

The panal have recieved paperwork and is hard to forma judgement because of the absence of information from erins school. Real concerns have been raised by you but this is not backed by evidence fom her school.

May we suggest that the school and parents coordinate the evidence required to be considered for a stat assssment- the panal needs more detailed information from the school about their imput and stratagies.

There are refences to speech and language criteria but the speech and language assessment doesn not reinforce this.

The school is asked to contact me in order to arrange a meeting with both parties in order to move this forward.

I understand you may be disappointed with this decision and there are a number of action you can take. If you would like to appeal against this decision not to make an assessment you can do this within 2 months of the date of this letter.

This is a diffcult one as the school havent really done anything they refuse to listen to our concerns and she hasnt been seen by an ed psy but im a bit confused as she has a medical exam booked on 4th june for process of stat assessment.

Dont know what to say to the case officer as the school have never backed us up.

They have sent us a copy from head teacher says . Her current provision is 2x weekly of 30 minutes with LSA for narrative therapy

and 2x weekly of 30 minutes with senco for words first

Head teacher states she doesnt currently have an IEP (Two IEPs from recption yr they havent sent in) no reports on her progress just states her current assessment level

speaking and listening 1b

reading 1b

writing 1b

maths 1b

science 1

Predicated to reach level 1a for english and maths in july

Got a copy of a memorandum from ed psy who says erin is not known to them and they are unable to comment if her needs meet criteria for stat assessment

Edited by hedders

with regard to the information you submitted, did it include any ieps etc from the school- I just wondering exactly what it is they say is outstanding?

I think the lea is trying to fob you off a bit and put the emphesis on you to chase the school up, really its their respnsibility as well. If it was me I would write to them now notifying them that you intend to appeal(no point waiting as dd difficulties wont go away and it will let them see you arent going to go away). In the letter I would ask them to arrange a meeting between your self, parent partnership and the school to enable this situation to be moved forward. I would then copy the letter with a note asking them to arrange a meeting with the le asap.

Have you looked at getting an independant salt report?

If you want to get a staement you are goin to have to be firm hun. :thumbs:

I sent in the IEP for recpetion yr, the 2nd IEP i wasnt given a copy of for yr 1 which a teacher commented that she felt unable to communicate with dd unfortunaly the school wont give us a copy of this.

`

The information school havent sent is

last two terms IEP

Monitoring records of progress towards target

REVIEW NOTES FROM THE LAST STAGE 3 REVIEW MEETING

Examples of unaided work

They havent sent this in as she hasnt got an IEP - school removed this at end of yr 1

Questionnaire 1 and 2 for emotional and behavioural diffculties

COMMENTS FROM AN ED PSY

Thanks for advice about appealing.

Any reason why she has been booked a medical examination for june ?? should we still go

Edited by hedders

Id be tempted to still go hun, you arent loosing anything. With respsect of the iep wont give you why wont thet do this? Have you thought about making a FOIA application for it or writing complaining to the school governors?

It really is important evidence to back up your case

Id be tempted to still go hun, you arent loosing anything. With respsect of the iep wont give you why wont thet do this? Have you thought about making a FOIA application for it or writing complaining to the school governors?

It really is important evidence to back up your case

We have also been waiting 9 weeks for a copy of her school records, i think i might put again this in writing to the head stating our rights.

Personally I would go higher. The head is stonewalling you. Its the governors ultiate responsibility and they should know they are acting illegally

How do i find out the contact details for chair of governours without asking the school for this

Hi you have a few possible options.If you phone the LEA and state that you are considering making an official complaint and would like the name and mail address of the COG then it should be on record.Another option is to ask other parents to see if anyone else knows.The COG may also be recorded on the school prospectus or information booklet for new parents...if there is one. :rolleyes: Karen.

If the school has a website it will be on there as well

Not really on the "panels"...side over this , but I don,t think it is they who have knocked you back here.Our LA,s panel is made up of SEN teachers, ed physchs, doctors, teachers etc.They have a set criteria to stick to when going through an application for assessment/statement.If all the documentation isn,t in, or they feel there is insufficient evidence(basically from the school in your case) they won,t agree to assess.It cost about �5000 in our borough to assess a child etc and if they feel the case isn,t strong enough they won,t do it.

.......................I think the problem for you lies with the school and the fact that they have given no evidence to show she needs over and above what they are giving her in terms of provision.The positive thing is that they seem more than happy to reconsider your application when the school gets its act together.Whats the senco been doing????? :whistle: ..........someone at the school needs a kick up the wotsit.

...........hope you can get something sorted, suzex

YEA I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY, not sure what to do but i think it will be a good idea to arrange a meeting with the school, lea and someone from suportive parents who have tried to help us over and over again for 3yrs to get somewhere with the school but we all failed.

Will contact them tomorrow and write to lea asking for a meeting.

Dont know if appealing will get us anywhere at the mo but at least now the lea have lots of written evidence from ourselves and her medical reports.

Might be a good idea to write to COG, i really want a copy of her school records.

SENCO and Head are awful but she be leaving in 2 months need to arrange a meeting with the junior school.

I dont know what plans the pead has, even though the SLT team said she didnt need any intervention and would discharge her they havent and that was a yr ago.

I have spoken to head epy 3 weeks ago who said that if i was right and her attainment level is 1b she should be on school action and they would look into this.

Im sorry im confused what to do next anyone with guildlines for me to follow

I,m shocked shes not on school action plus aswell :o .............she,ll be doing her sats this week I guess,??? a 1b is way below the expected level 3, you have every right to be naffed off with the school.I feel for you hun................... >:D<<'> .........in our authority a panel would,nt agree to assess if a child had,nt been on school action plus for at least 2 terms and had 2 IEPS to prove this.It really seems the school have been dragging their feet big time.Are they of the opinion that she is doing well?.........avchieving and attaining what is expected??...........I think having a meeting is a good idea, make sure someone takes the minutes, and a letter to the governors may make the school take more notice too.Best wishes suzex >:D<<'> .

Hi Hedders,

From my experience school only seems to take people seriously one you put your requirements in writing. I would suggest arranging the meeting that others have suggested but invite in writing the SEN Govenor and Parent Partnership as well. The school should also have a SEN policy doument outlining procedures for children wih special needs, it might be worth asking to see a copy to see if they have followed t correctly.

Good luck

Janey

The way I look at it is that by writing and saying I appeal you arent loosing anything( if you feel like it you can withdraw the appeal). By doing this you are putting pressure on the school and lea to show them you want action not words.

3 years is an awfully long time to have been asking for support like you have with little improvement.

Take care and be brave :notworthy:

Spoke to supportive parents today, informed them that i made a request for stat assessment for our dd whos is 7yr- said i should be postive as her attainment level is 1b and at least she is recieveing some additional support and i should be happy by this.

As long as dd is happy in school that should be my prime prority

She said she didnt understand why the school wont give us her school records or copies of her former IEP but the IEP wont mean anything now for stat assessment as there historic.

Only other adivce was leave it now till she moves to junior school, and be gratful that she isnt on P scales ( but we dont know if she is??) thats why i wont a copy of her school records.

And i should be postive by the report from the school even though i said it doesnt show what progress she is making so how do i know if she was on level 1b in yr 1.

Dont think i contact them again for a while.

Edited by hedders

Parent Partnership are very hit and miss depending on where you live. I used to contact them but stopped because I became very disillusioned. They were extremely sympathetic whenever I rang them, but were never available to come with me to meetings. Then when a LA officer requested they came to a meeting they were there in a flash. Last year I contacted them over a very sensitive issue relating to my son's stat assessment process and they let me down badly and now I don't trust them.

If you want advice which is not biaised then you'd be better off contacting IPSEA or one of the other charitable organisations.

Flora

You spoke to soon i managed to contact IPSEA earlier, basically i will be appealing the school are not following the sen code of pratice, if dd has been recieving a provision (has done for 3 yrs ) she should be on school action.

Im to write again asking for school records but this time include date protection act and 15days.

Write to Ed psy asking them to clarifly what stage my dd should be at with provision

MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO COG.

They were very useful said if i dont get this sorted now when she moves to junior school in september it will be even harder to get her needs assessed if the primary school havent tried much.

Spoke to local council who delt with our parental request said that the school havent provided any inforamtion on the 2 types of provision she is recieving and if they dont contact them by 26th may they will arrange the meeting as they want to know what they have done and her progress.

I asked her if there was any reason why the school havent done this and was told maybe they didnt have enough time,.

I told them they will have to sort this out as the school wont work together with us.

Edited by hedders

Parent Partnership in my area is extremley close to the lea and really does discourage parents from appealing. I ended up sacking our PP rep (but thats another story).

My advice is use them but beware and dont tell tham anything confidentail to.

I think ipsea have given you good advice hun. Write your letters but just keep on top of the lea and make sure they dont forget to arrange the meeting. Personally I would write and ask the school to get in touch with the lea as documentation they were obliged to submitt to the lea regarding your child was not sent in thus making a decision regarding her educational needs impossible for the panel to make( I would do this to create a paper trail as the school seems to have trouble with verbal information).

Be Brave hun youre getting them rattled but you need to stick to your guns :notworthy:

Spoke to supportive parents today, informed them that i made a request for stat assessment for our dd whos is 7yr- said i should be postive as her attainment level is 1b and at least she is recieveing some additional support and i should be happy by this.

As long as dd is happy in school that should be my prime prority

She said she didnt understand why the school wont give us her school records or copies of her former IEP but the IEP wont mean anything now for stat assessment as there historic.

Only other adivce was leave it now till she moves to junior school, and be gratful that she isnt on P scales ( but we dont know if she is??) thats why i wont a copy of her school records.

And i should be postive by the report from the school even though i said it doesnt show what progress she is making so how do i know if she was on level 1b in yr 1.

Dont think i contact them again for a while.

Sorry.....they are ''supportive parents'' ...I am not usually this outspoken but sounds like ''fob off parents'' might be a more appropriate name. :whistle::whistle::rolleyes: Karen.