Sign in to follow this  
danny

NO SCHOOL

referral papers have gone into several schools,some of which I think were not suitable foe my son anyway.The words "wont fit in" keep cropping up,most of my sons papers are negative in particular,around his behaviour,the management of him at his high school was highly innappropriate,but he was undiagnosed at the time,even though as a family we can see why he cant cope in mainstream,and alot of his behavioural problems are a result of mismanagement and lack of knowledge of his ASD but the special schools approached seem not to have taken this into account.I think this is partly due to the fact his statement explains his problems(some of them)but not the reasons and the different way he learns.Is there anything I can do about schools rejecting him on the basis of reports without even seeing him?I am at my wits end with complaints,by the way I complained to the government ombudsman,which is being investigated,I will keep you posted,s,services and my local LEA are a waste of time,A year on and we are still no further forward and my son still is getting no help.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Hi Danny,

I am not an expert, Nellie is! - but it sounds like the statement should be reviewed as the content is not descriptive of the special needs of your child, nor the provision to be made.

I think that the NAS and IPSEA help with looking at the content of statements. There will be links to their sites on this forum and there will be phone numbers.

Nellie will probably be along later to help.

Keep your chin up

HelenL

Thanks Helen,

I may know something about SEN procedures but I certainly wouldn't consider myself to be an expert!!!

Danny,

I agree some schools may be put off if they are reading about your son's history. I can only suggest you try and put your case forward to them. Have you tried ringing the schools and having a word with them? You might find it helpful if you can get your point of view across. Visiting the schools in person is an option.

My other suggestion is to trawl the schools you think are suitable and have a word with them. A good school will understand. Put your case forward and if you think they might take your son, put this school forward to the LEA for consideration.

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

The very best of luck with your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Nellie xx