pookie170

Residential Schools?

Does anyone have any experience of residential schools for their ASD child? Or themselves, for that matter? Cals headteacher has agreed that the school professionals keep bandying about in reference to Cals higher education is not suitable (whew!!) and has suggested a local unit. However, this unit only takes 14 pupils per year-what are our chances, realistically speaking? Will try for it, but Im not holding my breath. However, I utilised that very handy link somone posted to a site that lists schools dealing in asd's (thank-you!!!! :notworthy: ) and I found details of a residential school about an hour/hour and a half from here. It looks nice, though I need to do further research into it, but I know how upset I'll be if this turns out to be our only option. I don't want to send him away, but if it's the best school for him, then I'd give it a go..... :tearful: I'm getting way ahead of myself though. Just wondering if any of you guys have made a similar choice, how it turned out, pros/cons, that kind of thing?

Cheers dudes!

Esther x

My son went to residential secondary, and is now at residential college. He went because it was the only school that could meet his needs. It has done him good, due to the 24 hour curriculum and high staff ratio. He made friends, one of whom he still sees.

Do look at the school though, as different residential schools are run differently. I saw lots of residential schools and some were homely, some were more institutional. The rules differed from school to school eg: one school sent the children to their rooms as punishment, some let them have their own posters, TVs, etc. The mix of children in them also varies.

Hi Esther

I chose this option for Bill (aged 14), he goes to an AS specific residential special school. He just started in April so it's early days; I won't pretend it's easy because it's not, but for him it was that or nothing because there really isn't anything within reasonable travelling distance that could give him access to the full curriculum AND fit in all his OT and SALT. Sometimes kids need provision that just can't fit into a normal school day so a school with an extended curriculum becomes necessary and this usually means residential. The school he goes to does offer an extended day without the need to be residential but only for kids who live close enough to travel there and back every day.

Flo' >:D<<'>

Hi Esther, we have a placement at a priory school that takes girls for our nealry 14 yr old with A/s

I was very very scared at making this choice but she is not actually at school at present and even struggles with lessons 1-1 with her hom tutor so I know she just won't be able to go back into mainstream.

The school we have chosen, has bent over backwards to keep us infomred, we have been on several trips there and dd has had an assessment with a further overnighter booked for later in the month.

I was extremely impressed with the family atmosphere but of course still have worries... who wouldn't these are our kids!

I honestly believe this is the only way my daughter will get enough social education to help her cope with life.....

Good luck with your own decision....

Anne x