zaman

Women/girls and autism

I found this quite interesting especially having gone so long without a diagnosis myself, I wonder if this was because I grew up a girl (albeit a gender non-conforming one). The descriptions on there sound exactly what I was like as a child. Only after transitioning have people taken me seriously about the problems that I have. :wacko:

Interesting article: especilly the comments about girls/women with AS having a double struggle to fit into the NT world and the male dominated AS world.

K x

You only have to look at the lists of famous people who, it has been speculated, were in the autistic spectrum - Isaac Newton, Ludwig van Beethoven, Albert Einstein, - to see how boys' autistic traits are synonymous, to some extent, with success

Marie Curie? Not that I'm entirely comfortable with posthumous dx. And she is the only one I can think of.

I understand what the interviewee was saying about an AS guy possibly being "protected" by a nurturing wife. But I'd say the reverse can be true too. My SIL married her soulmate, a high achieving academic, and he has enabled her to organise her life in a way that suits her. She took early retirement because of the economic freedom this gave her.

incredible.

such an informative and great article.

thanks for posting.