Sign in to follow this  
nedgly

Want to drop a subject a secondary school!

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible for my daughter to drop at least one of her subjects at school. She is in the process of being diagnosed through CAMHS, but she is finding school a real problem again at the moment, she only has one year left but the pressure is really on now for all coursework to done and kept up with. When I have spoken to the school in the past they have said that she is not falling behind with any of her work and so they say that there isn't a problem. But what they don't see is the amount of pressure she is putting herself under to complete all her homework, we have crying, shouting, screaming and she is always in a state of anxiety, feeling sick, headaches, tummyaches etc. etc. I could go on and on. What I really need to know is, if I tell them that we've decided she is going to drop this subject (Business Studies, that she didn't even want to do in the first place) can they do anything about it or what is the right way for me to go about it? I just feel it would take the pressure off her a little and maybe she could get on a little bit better.

I appreciate any helpful suggestions, thanks

Nedgly

Hi Nedgly

I don't know what the legal requirements are but we are in the same boat with AJ and History. He was school refusing for much of year 10 and I don't feel he can realistically catch up with this subject and feel that it is putting him under unnecessary pressure. The core subjects are the most important and I think the school would actually rather not enter him than he fail it and muck up their statistics but I haven't actually broached the subject yet.

Hopefully someone will know the ruling about this but I do sympathise.

Stella xx

My daughter dropped a GCSE subject very near the beginning of the school year. It was Spanish; she'd done a taster year in year 9 and decided to do it for GCSE but found it really hard going to keep up with all the work. She's NT but was having a rough time worrying about her brother who she's very close to. She already has one GCSE and got an A (which she did in year 9), and is doing 9 more, so it wasn't as if she was going to be missing out. I'm sure your dd's school will let her drop a subject as long as she's sure that's what she wants to do. I can't see why not. It's done my dd wonders because she now has free periods and can do homework and has her piano lessons so it's worked out really well and has really took the pressure off.

Talk to the school because it IS possible; but check with your dd first that she feels happy and sure about doing this.

Flora

it is possible to drop a non-core subject (such as business studies). lower ability students often get entered for as few as 4 or 5 GCSEs anyway, so it shoudln't be a problem to drop an option as long as you can find a good suggestion for what she'll do in those spare class hours - such as using the time to complete coursework in the library perhaps. english, maths science are the only ones they HAVE to have you entered for in some form. stick with it and make sure they understand its not because shes lazy and can'tbe bothered.

Realistically, if she's taking 5 GCSEs in English, Maths and Science, that is all she will need for entrance to further education or work.

It might help if your GP were to contact the school and explain how much it is affecting her health.