Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

made me laugh

a friend of mine just had this conversation with me, and i thought it was a pretty good summation of peoples attitudes to the problems of AS

ME (02:15:31): i dont like cars because i worry we're gonna crash

HER (02:15:50): you have the worst life ever

HER (02:15:54): it would suck to be you

ME (02:15:58): why?

HER (02:16:05): your'e scared of everything

HER (02:16:08): won't do anything

HER (02:16:09): have no life

a friend of mine just had this conversation with me, and i thought it was a pretty good summation of peoples attitudes to the problems of AS

Not everyones attitude towards people with AS Nobby, they just dont really understand.

yeah. some people are great but... this person knew me long before i was diagnosed when i was just a freak so to speak (heh), and is having trouble getting her head round the fact that its not through anything i'm doing that i'm like this. and some of it isn't going to change because i'm not going to get better

yeah. some people are great but... this person knew me long before i was diagnosed when i was just a freak so to speak (heh), and is having trouble getting her head round the fact that its not through anything i'm doing that i'm like this. and some of it isn't going to change because i'm not going to get better

Hi Nobby,

I think from what I have read many that get a late diagnosis feel very much like you describe for a while, but talking to a professional about these feelings can really help, and even reading some books written by other adults with AS could be very beneficial, in how you view yourself day to day.

Maybe someone on here could recommend a good book to read.

I havent read these books myself, but I remember some saying A curious Incident, and Born on a Blue day are both good books to read. Is there a local support group in your area.

So many lovely people on here too to help you along. Embrace who you are Nobby, thats the first step. Then being around people that dont intimidate you. :) People who accept you, as you are warts and all.

Fran x :D>:D<<'>

i'm just trying to work out what is normal for me now. i've always felt like i was wrong because i was different, and now i'm on here i can see that everyone else is having the same problems! its a lot to get sorted in my head. i asked my doctor for some therapy, he said that i could only have group therapy (that'd be good, seeing as how i barely speak if there are more than 2 people in the room) so now i'm stuck trying to work it out myself and pestering friends because i need to say things out loud for them to make sense.