Sign in to follow this  
curlywurly

Stealing......

Firstly, a quick apology - as I only ever seem to log on to this forum when I'm at my wits end. Maybe if I looked through the posts more regularly, I wouldn't end up at my wits end in the first place.....

My son in 8, and has Aspergers (although it is still not 'official' it has been acknowledged by his school/teachers - though he is still waiting to see the ed psych to have extra support put in place)...

I could go on and on atm tbh, but am really upset about his latest hobby - which appears to be stealing. We have just come back from a holiday, and when unpacking his bag, I found 5 things which he had pilfered from shops while we were there. They were only little - but that's irrelevant.

On the first day of hols, he took a postcard from the on site shop, and claimed he thought they were free - although when my DH and I speculated that this was not the case and wondered aloud how much they would cost, he said '15p' - so he knew they were on sale, but took it anyway. When told to take it back, he made as if to do so, and then (I later found out) just came back to the caravan and hid it!

He knows the difference between right and wrong. He knows what stealing is, and that it is wrong.

When presented with the things he had taken, he just said 'I'm sorry' - so he already knew he had done wrong, but did it anyway. After a lecture from myself and my husband about what would happen if he got caught stealing, he just stared right through me and said 'so what are you going to do with these'? That was all he cared about!?! When we said 'you could have been caught' he just said 'well, I wasn't'!

I'm at my wits end, but this just takes the biscuit! I wonder if anyone has experianced similar situations - I am so embarrased!

Vicky xXx

Sometimes the police are very helpful in these situations. They might show him around the police station and show him the cells where they keep people when they are arrested.

Hi,dont worry about coming on here when you are at your wits end, thats what it for!! When you get the chance look through the posts, you will be amazed how many are like your own, My ds, the one I come on this forum for, is 12 now, he was diagnosed at 11, at 8 ish he was always "stealing" at 1st I used to find stuff in his bookbag, rubbers/pencils/shapeners etc etc I didnt take any notice, but then I took him to task one day I could see he didnt think it was wrong! even though I made him replace these things with his own pocket money, he still did it occassionaly, and still does, such as when the local shop put a hot drinks machine in, he had one without paying, he said everyone else was, they were, but were paying on their way out, I could go on but wont, its late and am tired! but sometimes I think he just dosnt get it and sometimes I just dont know, no help but loads of sympathy >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> they keep us on our toes these kids. Enid