Sign in to follow this  
Tally

860 Miles So Far

My brother and his friend have now cycled around 860 miles.

If you go to Google Maps and search for "sirmione," it will show you where they are staying tonight, on the south side of Lake Garda. You will have to zoom out many times to be able to see their starting point (London) on the same map.

His friend flies home from Venice on Friday, so it looks as though they are going to have plenty of time to see the sights.

My brother is continuing alone to Varanasi in India, although he is taking a plane over Iran and Afghanistan.

Edited by Tally

This evening I had an email from my brother to tell me that he has set up a JustGiving page where he can collect sponsorship for the International Childcare Trust. He has visited a scheme run by them in Cambodia when he did a sponsored cycle ride there. It was a centre which helped children who had previously been working in the sex trade to learn skills to make products like bags and jewellery that they can sell to tourists.

For more information about the trip, you can see his page here: http://www.justgiving.com/davidwilliams999

If you wish to sponsor him, I can assure you that the money will have been very hard earned!

Ouchie ouchie ouchie!

I met a bloke in Australia who was cycling round the world... he met a girl there and stopped and got married... he always maintained that he was just taking a 'rest' (he'd lived there for three years when I met him). I heard a couple of years later he had set off on the second half, and did finish. May not have broken any records for the fastest circumnavigation of the globe, but one hell of an achievement.

Very best to your bro, and to the childcare trust.

BD :D

His friend who flew home from Venice came to see us this morning. He said that my brother worked him hard, and cycling through the Alps was really gruelling, but that he is very proud of having cycled to Venice.

Since his friend left on Friday, my brother has cycled through a small section of Slovenia and into Rijeka in Croatia. He hopes to be in Split by Tuesday and Dubrovnik by Wednesday.

He has yet to pass through Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania and Greece, before meeting my mum in Istanbul, Turkey at the end of July.

Tonight he is staying in Slano, around 15 miles from Dubrovnik. It is very windy, so he can't go as fast as he had hoped.

He is a bit concerned about the border with Montenegro, as he doesn't know whether the crossing he wishes to use is open. It will mean a big detour if he cannot cross there.

He has read all of his books now, and is getting quite lonely. He had a nice evening yesterday. When he went to pay for his camping pitch, the family invited him in for dinner and wine and gave him all the leftovers for his breakfast!

Hope the wind changes direction and becomes a help rather than hinderence :) Perhaps he could use his tent as a sail, and 'tack' himself ahead of schedule!

:D

Tonight he is in Budva, and tomorrow he aims to get to Ulcinj (both in Montenegro). On Saturday he plans to cross the border into Albania.

My brother made it safely through Albania, a short stretch of Macedonia, and is now in Greece. He stayed in hotels in Albania, as he was concerned for his safety alone in the mountains. We all feel much better now that he is in Greece.

Now he is in Turkey, heading for Istanbul, where he will meet my mum on Wednesday.

Last night's bombs in Istanbul are unsettling, but we know he was not in Istanbul yet, and normally this kind of event leads to a stepping up of security, and the place ends up safer than before. I'm sure, once he hears about the bombs, he will let us know that he is safe.

He has a short break in Istanbul before flying to India, where he meets another friend for two more weeks of cycling!

My brother and my mum spent a relaxing few days in Istanbul, and then my brother flew to Delhi, where he met a friend. They are cycling to Varanasi.

My brother got food poisoning and had to go to hospital. A doctor have him 4 injections in his bottom, while some mice and (bizarrely) dogs, ran around the hospital floor. He didn't tell my mum until afterwards. I think she would have bitten her fingernails down to the wrists if he had. The following day he cycled 110km, so I guess that means he is feeling better!

Please consider sponsoring him by visiting http://www.justgiving.com/davidwilliams999

Good lord, cycling on a punctured bum? Ouch! I don't know HOW i've missed this so far, but will go have a look at his site asap!

Good luck to him!

Estherx

Unfortunately, my brother has not made it to Varanasi by bicycle.

He cycled all the way to Istanbul, and flew to Delhi. He did some cycling in India and visited the Taj Mahal, but was struck down with food poisoning and had to go to hospital. In the end he decided he was not well enough co cycle for a few days and loaded his bike onto a train to Varanasi, hoping to start cycling from there back towards Delhi when he felt better. He collapsed before he could get himself onto the same train, and was hospitalised again, this time for a few days.

He has now travelled to Varanasi by train and been reunited with his bike. He is still very unwell, but is trying to enjoy himself as best he can until he flies home on Sunday.

But the good news is that he got 4 As in his A levels, and has got his place to study medicine :)